MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

In 2016 the league returned to semi-finals in one location.  That was also the only year one school hosted both semi-finals on the same day.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on February 15, 2019, 05:23:32 PM
In 2016 the league returned to semi-finals in one location.  That was also the only year one school hosted both semi-finals on the same day.

I just wanted to be doubly sure, because that's not, at least from my reading, what the website says right now.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 15, 2019, 05:33:34 PM
Quote from: sac on February 15, 2019, 05:23:32 PM

I just wanted to be doubly sure, because that's not, at least from my reading, what the website says right now.

Well its a super secret league sometimes.

sflzman

Unless Alma goes on a ridiculous win streak to win out and win the national championship game they will suffer their first 20-loss season since 2009-10.

That year their only win in the MIAA was a 2ot win at Trine. They also did not play a top 5 schedule that year.

Just crazy that I still feel (admittedly with some bias) that this year's team was only a few bounces here or there away from being at least a .500 team.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Winifred Durfee

With 16:29 left in the 2nd half, Albion could probably start taking shot clock violations without scoring for the rest of the way and win. It's hard to find a less inspired effort than what Hope is showing today. The defense is typically quite poor, but today it is in shambles.

wiz

Quote from: Winifred Durfee on February 16, 2019, 04:11:50 PM
With 16:29 left in the 2nd half, Albion could probably start taking shot clock violations without scoring for the rest of the way and win. It's hard to find a less inspired effort than what Hope is showing today. The defense is typically quite poor, but today it is in shambles.
Is Albion that good or Hope that bad?

Winifred Durfee

Quote from: wiz on February 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM
Quote from: Winifred Durfee on February 16, 2019, 04:11:50 PM
Is Albion that good or Hope that bad?

Neither. Just one of those days. Hope is a shooting team, they didn't shoot well (40% 3s on the season, 28% today). They don't have the depth or defensive ability to win games when their big 3 scorers aren't scoring (16 bench points to Albion's 33 and 16 is a lot for Hope).  Hope is a pretty mediocre defensive team, they played atrocious defense today. Albion shot 40% as a team from 3, aided by slow help side closeouts creating entirely wide open shots, not to mention all the wide open layups that helped Albion to 50 points in the paint compared to just 20 for Hope.

In short, Hope shoots their way to wins despite their poor defense. Today, they didn't shoot and played even worse defense.

TUAngola

Trine 85 Alma 52.  Trine wins the outright regular season MIAA championship!

A close game at half turns into a runaway win in the second for Trine.  Alma's Gamble was on the bench in street clothes, not having his size inside was key as the Trine bigs wore down Alma in the second half.  Was impressed with Rake, he has some nice post moves inside and rebounds really well.  And Kleiver was as good as advertised.  He has a sweet stroke.  But after a decent shooting 1st half Alma didn't get many open looks the second, and Trine was red hot the second.  Alma with several time outs to try to stop the runs but nothing worked.  Trine reserve bigs who don't get much opportunities to play, Dishop and Corcoran both played pretty well.  And they both had to play more minutes as Ellis Cummings suffered a cut on his hand between his fingers the first half and didn't play much after that. 

5 seniors played their last regular season game today:  3 starters, Pete Smith, Myles Copeland and Ellis Cummings.  Then the aforementioned 2 reserve bigs, Jared Dishop and Sean Corcoran.  It was neat to see Coach Miller put all 5 on the court in the closing minutes, then bring them out to a standing ovation from the fans.  Congratulations men!!

Now we'll just have to wait and see when the MIAA schedules the Friday games.

Any MIAA posters who are making the trip to Angola next week and are interested in lodging and eating options in the area let me know and I can post them here. 

Flying Dutch Fan

Completely agree Winifred - that was just bad. My Hope is that we got that out of our system and better it happen today and not going forward.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

HupHolland

It looks like the girls will be playing the evening games in the MIAA Tournament. It was just posted on Twitter that the girls will play in the 5:30/7:30pm time slot Friday, and then the 7:30pm Championship game Saturday.

1:30/3:30pm or 1:00/3:00pm (whatever they choose) will be a rough environment in Angola on Friday for all men's teams.

Link: https://twitter.com/miaa1888/status/1096903455350972418?s=21

KnightSlappy

Calvin and Olivet are about to tip off to end the MIAA season. Winner gets the #3 seed, loser plays Hope.

pointlem

Quote from: HupHolland on February 16, 2019, 06:21:57 PM
It looks like the girls will be playing the evening games in the MIAA Tournament. It was just posted on Twitter that the girls will play in the 5:30/7:30pm time slot Friday, and then the 7:30pm Championship game Saturday.

1:30/3:30pm or 1:00/3:00pm (whatever they choose) will be a rough environment in Angola on Friday for all men's teams.

Link: https://twitter.com/miaa1888/status/1096903455350972418?s=21
So . . . two away teams will take a full day off from classes to play at 1 or 1:30 p.m. in a near-empty gym . . . instead of an evening home game hosted by the higher-seeded team before revenue-producing fans.

But then again, most years different men's and women's teams will host . . . and perhaps the coaches and teams like coming together and watching each other?

Still, on balance, my druthers would be to maximize home games. Thus when Hope and Calvin had their fall CCIW weekends, I always wished the schools in the host state could each host a game each night--and trade opponents the next night . . . producing two home games every other year rather than every fourth year.  (I just like watching more rather than less basketball.  :) )

Jameswys

Olivet wins again in Cutler. Tonight they played as a team, scored as a team and defended as a team. When Colin Jones clogs up the middle Olivet looks like a different team. The officials missed a few calls, including a Colin Jones travel on the first possession of the game. Overall, this looked like the Olivet team that beat Trine twice, not the team the lost by 29 in DeVos.
Olivet '05

TUAngola

Here is the MBB tournament bracket:

https://twitter.com/MIAA1888

Calvin vs Hope in 1st round...winner vs. Trine

Olivet vs Alma in 1st round...winner vs. Albion

As was mentioned the mens semi finals are Friday afternoon at 1 and 3 and the womens semi finals are Friday evening at 5:30 and 7:30.

HupHolland

Wednesday

#5 Hope @ #4 Calvin 7:00pm
#6 Alma @ #3 Olivet 7:00pm

Friday (Angola, IN)

#6/#3 winner @ #2 Albion 1:00pm
#5/#4 Winner @ #1 Trine 3:00pm

Saturday (Angola, IN)
MIAA Championship 5:00pm

Link to bracket: https://twitter.com/miaa1888/status/1096953008905179137?s=21

*The MIAA official bracket lists the Cutler Center as the championship site ;D