MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola

Trine def Albion 68-61 OT

Real defensive battle today, the refs let the guys play aggressive defense and it was a struggle for either team to find any offensive rhythm at all.  Albion led most of the 1st half, jumped out to a quick lead.  Trine fought back to a 22 all tie, then Albion took control again to go up 6 at half.  Trine kept it close for the first 8 min or so in the 2nd half and took their first lead of the game on a Pete Smith 3.  Trine stretched the lead out to 8 but Albion came back in the last 5 min to tie the game.  Trine with final possession for the win but Marcus Winter's shot on a drive to the basket rimmed out and sent game to OT.  Myles Copeland with a quick bucket for Trine to open the extra session, then neither team was able to hit a shot for a long stretch.  Trine scored with a minute and half to go with a great offensive rebound bucket and 1 by Ellis Cummings.  A 5 point lead at that juncture seemed safe the way both teams struggled to score, we win by 7.

Like I said, I thought both defenses were terrific.  Neither team with many good open looks.  Albion has very quick hands, they forced a lot of turnovers, but Trine also did a lousy job of taking care of the basketball.  Marcus Winters especially had a bad day, he got his pocket picket a couple times and also forced some balls into the post that just weren't open.  On the other hand I thought our defense may have been the best I've seen us play this year for a full game, especially after 2 really awful defensive outings the last 2 games.  The effort was there the whole game, good hedging on screens and fighting thru screens as well.  Albion took a lot of contested shots.  Ebeling is a load underneath.  Not the quickest guy but makes up for it in good footwork around the basket.

Trine now controls the tie-breaker against Albion for hosting the MIAA tournament should both teams win out.  Trine has Kalamazoo at their place and Alma at home to finish the season.  Both of those teams are playing well right now.

Albion:  Ebeling 14, Barnes 11, Davis 11
Trine:  *Smith 23, *Copeland 18, Cummings 10 

*Smith kept us in the game in the 1st half with some huge 3 pointers and Copeland carried us down the stretch in the 2nd half.

sac

QuoteCalvin loses to Kzoo 77-72.
That's deep man.

Quote from: Jameswys on February 09, 2019, 01:08:33 PM
Coach Ernst is not on the bench this afternoon down in Adrian. No word as to why.
Suspended for 1 game is the famous rumor mill I heard.

Quote from: sac on February 08, 2019, 11:09:33 AM
Quote from: RuleBritannia on February 08, 2019, 12:51:34 AM
I've got a reliable source telling me that Steve Ernst has informed Olivet College he will step down after this season as men's basketball coach.

While this may be true, it could also be false.

Leaning to marginally true over false tonight

sac

Trine 68  Albion 61 OT

MIAA tournament championship worthy game in Angola.  TUAngola hits all the points, really good, tough defensive game.  Very enjoyable.
Fun to flip through livestats for a few moments with 3 very competitive close games coming down the the wire.

hornets76542

Quote from: calvin_grad on February 09, 2019, 04:56:10 PM
Calvin loses to Kzoo 77-72.   :(

No, Kzoo beats Calvin 77-72  :)

Albion plays Calvin and Hope for their final two regular season games; a win in either would ensure that neither Calvin nor Hope win a share of the league title for the first time since Albion was the sole champ in 2005.
go nets

sac

todays results
Adrian 83  Olivet 60
Hope 94  Alma 92
Trine 68 Albion 61 OT
Kzoo 77 Calvin 72

3 player technical fouls today all on the same team, that's 11 since Saturday's near brawl at Kzoo/Olivet.

Standings with +/-    (+1 for road win, -1 for home loss) w/remaining games

Albion    9-3      +3      (@Cal, HPE)
Trine      9-3      +3      (@Kzo, ALM)
Olivet     7-5      +1      (@Hpe, CAL)
Calvin    7-5       +1     (ALB, @Oli)
Hope      7-5      +1      (OLI, @Alb)
-------------------------------------------------
Alma      4-8       -2      (ADR, @Trn)
Kzoo      4-8        -2     (TRN, @Adr)
Adrian    1-11     -5      (@Alm,  KZO)---Eliminated

Albion, Trine, Olivet, Calvin, Hope have all clinched a tournament spot

Well isn't this just loads of fun. 

6th seed is between Alma/Kzoo.   ----They split the series so any tie-breaker will involve the standings and that will depend on their games with Trine and maybe, even Adrian next week.  Both Alma and Kzoo lost twice to Albion, both lost to Trine once, both split with Olivet, both split with Calvin, both lost to Hope, both lost to Adrian once. --------We're getting far down the tie-break list here but 2nd half MIAA record may come into play and that favors Kzoo,  both have won just one road game.

3rd, 4th, 5th  ----ha ha ha,  Olivet, Calvin, Hope all tied at the moment.  Olivet plays both Hope and Calvin, Hope and Calvin both play Albion.  Yet, one of these 3 could end up the 2 seed still, or even.... hosting?    Here's a couple things to keep in mind for attempting to break future ties Calvin owns the tie-break over Hope 2-0, Hope has beaten Albion twice, Olivet has beaten Trine twice.

1st  ----Its between Trine and Albion realistically, advantage Trine in schedule and advantage with the tie-breaker over Albion.  Chances are we end up in Angola in two weeks.  I  can't even fathom what happens if both lose twice next week.

As of today, every single game next week is meaningful.

The template of Win remaining Home games and games w/Kzoo/Adrian.   This is now very unfair to Kzoo, still sticking with it.

Trine     11-3
Albion   10-4   
Olivet     9-5
Calvin    9-5
Hope      8-6
Alma     5-9
Kzoo  4-10 

With everyone winning home games only

Trine   10-4
Albion 10-4
Olivet   8-6
Calvin  8-6
Hope    8-6
Alma    5-9
Kzoo    5-9
Adrian  2-12

Most likely results I think we get these seeds, but it could be anything.

1.  Trine
2.  Albion
3.  Olivet
4.  Calvin
5.  Hope
6.  Alma

Jameswys

MTI is beautiful and Olivet played really well there this year, it's also a breeze down I69 to get there. I wouldn't be opposed to a trip down there, if it can't be at Cutler. 
Olivet '05

sac

Quote from: Jameswys on February 09, 2019, 11:24:40 PM
MTI is beautiful and Olivet played really well there this year, it's also a breeze down I69 to get there. I wouldn't be opposed to a trip down there, if it can't be at Cutler.

I think Olivet can still host, they'd have to win both game obvs.  Trine/Albion lose both, also obv.

3-way tie with Trine/Albion, all 3 are 2-2 vs each other, tie-breaker goes down standing to 4th place.  Calvin holds tie-breaker over Hope at 2-0 for 4th , Olivet would have beaten Calvin twice while Albion and Trine split.  Olivet gets #1 seed and host, Trine #2.

KnightSlappy

Quote from: hornets76542 on February 09, 2019, 09:30:15 PM
Quote from: calvin_grad on February 09, 2019, 04:56:10 PM
Calvin loses to Kzoo 77-72.   :(

No, Kzoo beats Calvin 77-72  :)

Albion plays Calvin and Hope for their final two regular season games; a win in either would ensure that neither Calvin nor Hope win a share of the league title for the first time since Albion was the sole champ in 2005.

Speaking of 2005, the league should mandate that Trine has to always run The System. That was loads of fun.

HOPEful

Huge games on Wednesday!

As a Hope fan, I'm very conflicted on Albion @ Calvin. The only way for Hope to jump up to the 2 seed is to win both of their remaining games, have Calvin beat Albion, and then have Calvin lose to Olivet. Then again, if Albion beats Calvin and locks in at least the 2 seed, Hope is guaranteed the 3 seed by winning out.

If Calvin and Hope both win out, I believe that Calvin would get the 2 seed by way of their win against Trine, Hope would get the 3 seed by having beaten Albion both times, and Albion would get the 4 seed. Did I apply the tie breakers correctly?
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

sac

Quote from: HOPEful on February 10, 2019, 11:28:17 AM
Huge games on Wednesday!

As a Hope fan, I'm very conflicted on Albion @ Calvin. The only way for Hope to jump up to the 2 seed is to win both of their remaining games, have Calvin beat Albion, and then have Calvin lose to Olivet. Then again, if Albion beats Calvin and locks in at least the 2 seed, Hope is guaranteed the 3 seed by winning out.

If Calvin and Hope both win out, I believe that Calvin would get the 2 seed by way of their win against Trine, Hope would get the 3 seed by having beaten Albion both times, and Albion would get the 4 seed. Did I apply the tie breakers correctly?

Yes you applied tie breakers correctly.

Jameswys

Quote from: sac on February 09, 2019, 09:31:58 PM

3 player technical fouls today all on the same team, that's 11 since Saturday's near brawl at Kzoo/Olivet.

Of the three technicals, the second one was earned (I heard it in the stands), I totally missed what was said/done for the first one and the final one was a weird call. After a foul call at half court an Olivet player shot the ball towards the hoop near the Olivet Bench. He was visually frustrated but I've seen players on all teams shoot the ball after calls. It might have been because he shot it the wrong way, I don't know. It just seemed like an odd call.
The officiating at Adrian was odd. Olivet had 9 team fouls in less than 4 minutes to start the 2nd half. Adrian picked up 4 almost random fouls at the end of the 2nd half, almost as if the refs said we can't have the foul total be so lopsided against Olivet.
Did Olivet lose the game? Yes they lost it by another flat game against a worse team. Did the officials help them lose it? Yes. They called a very ticky tack game when Olivet was on defense. But if Olivet would have stayed focused and played intense they could have turned it around. The bad calls made them more and more uncontrolled.
Olivet '05

sac

Trine host with outright championship or tie for first with only Albion

Albion can only host with outright championship

Olivet can host if 3 way tie with Trine/Albion

Best possible seeds for Hope or Calvin is #2 which requires a tie with Trine/Albion.  Trine wins both those tie-breaks for host.  Albion is 3rd seed in both cases.

Only 4 way tie possible is Trine, Calvin, Hope, Albion.......they would be seeded in that order.

Breaking ties between Olivet/Calvin, Olivet/Hope is dependent on next weeks results or final standings.   Calvin owns the tie-break over Hope.

Alma/Kzoo tie-break could be supper fun.  Split season series, and at the moment have identical wins and losses in the league.  Can't find my tie-breaks sheet but we delve into conference road records and 2nd half record at some point.  Last one favors Kzoo

Lots more tie-breaks for things like a tie for 2nd that need next weeks results, or least become more clear after Wednesday.  Hope, Olivet and Calvin with the right results can all host a first round game.

formerd3db

sac:

Are you going to try and make any of the MIAA Tournament games, depending on where the tourney is hosted?

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sac

Quote from: formerd3db on February 10, 2019, 08:06:21 PM
sac:

Are you going to try and make any of the MIAA Tournament games, depending on where the tourney is hosted?

Yes, I plan on attending a game next Wed. night and the semi-finals and finals regardless of location.

HOPEful

Quote from: sac on February 11, 2019, 02:08:29 PM
Yes, I plan on attending a game next Wed. night and the semi-finals and finals regardless of location.
I haven't been to Trine's new facility yet. I'm hoping Albion beats Calvin and then loses to Hope and Trine takes care of business...

One more home game and a trip to Angola would make for a fun week.
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion