New England Collegiate Conference (NECC)

Started by d3bballinboston, May 31, 2007, 06:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I got a chance to sit down with Southern Vermont coach Dan Englestad at the Hoopsville National Invitational Classic this past weekend. Check out his interview and the rest of the Hoopsville Coach's Corner (which substituted for this Sunday's show) here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/coachs-corner
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III men's and women's national tournaments are set, teams are where they need to be, and practices underway. Now, it's just a matter of tipping off the games.

But before we tip them off, we need some final thoughts.

Tune in Thursday night to Hoopsville where Dave will talk to a number of guests about their programs and their chances in the NCAA tournament. You can't starting heading down the Road to Rochester or the Road to Salem without getting an idea of who may be joining you, either. Dave will give some insight on how some of the pods just may shake out as well.

Also, earlier in the day, Dave talked with Women's Basketball Nationall Committee chair Bobbi Morgan (also head coach at Haverford) and asked her a lot about the selection process and bracketing for this year's tournament. You can hear that special podcast here: http://bit.ly/2GUbfE0

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Thursday's edition hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can tune in live here: http://bit.ly/2HSi9ed.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Marc Brown & Sam Toney, New Jersey City men's coach and star player
- Nate Davis, Gettysburg women's coach
- Jeff Rogers, Berry men's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Engelstad, Southern Vermont men's coach
- Ken Scalmanini, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Mike Rejniak

​Dear D3 Faithful ;D,
     I have read many of your posts throughout the years and even met some of you in person, but for those who I haven't met, let me introduce myself: my name is Michael Rejniak and I have spent over 14 years coaching Division 3 basketball and love what our division has done and continues to do for  the sport of basketball. One of the greatest things about Division 3 basketball is the brotherhood that we all have with one another (coaches and players alike). My wish is to showcase the talents of D3 on a national stage in The Basketball Tournament (TBT).  You may have heard me speak about this on the Hoopsville Marathon with Dave McHugh of D3hoops.com (at the 6:11 mark). The TBT is a national tournament that is televised in July/August on ESPN after the NBA season is over. My goal is to put forth an all-star D3 team (current players are ineligible) and have them compete in this tournament to take on Former D1 / semi-pro's to prove that D3 deserves the same respect as other NCAA divisions. The team is mostly complete with former student-athletes from all over the country competing. Once the roster is complete we will be sure to release it through d3hoops. Former Babson College National Champion Matthew Droney '17 will also be assisting me on this journey.

How YOU can help our former elite D3 basketball players

While the end prize of this tournament is a monetary prize, being a D3-lifer, the goal is not the money (we all know that's not why we get into coaching), the goal is to bring an end to the stigma of Division 3 basketball, an awareness of how talented our student-athletes are and that we can compete (and win) against the best. We do need to raise funds for an entry fee, travel, meal and housing expenses for the athletes. In order to do this, we are conducting a crowd-funding campaign through GoFundMe to help make this a reality. These athletes need your support! Just think -- if every Division 3 school donated just $10, we will have raised over $4,000!!!! The link to the GoFundMe Page is below and please SPREAD THE WORD and email me with any questions/concerns at WeAreD3TBT@gmail.com. Thank you in advance for your support and Dave and I look forward to this "D3 Dream Team" taking the court this summer.-Mike Rejniak

Support "We Are D3" In The TBT

Greek Tragedy

Newbury transfer Omar Williams is averaging 40 points a game.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It might be after we aired, but still worth promoting ... watch the show On Demand or listen to the podcast!

The first semester is coming to a close. With it comes an opportunity to look back and evaluate what we've seen throughout Division III basketball so far. Did we get any early Christmas gifts? Or did some teams get some coal?

This is also the time of the year one starts to look around to see if any teams are flying a little under the radar. Off to good starts that maybe haven't been noticed or a big win or two here and there have people scratching their heads.

Sunday on Hoopsville, we not only shined a light on some programs off the radar, but also start pondered the opening, nearly, six weeks of the season. Be sure to tune in as we take the new "Buy or Sell" up a few notches.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's episode is available to watch, in two parts, On Demand in the video player(s) above. You can also listen to the show, in it's entirety, via the audio-only podcast. You can find it here: http://bit.ly/2rFVWsQ

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Charlie Mason, New England men's coach
- Kate Vlahakis, Manhattanville women's coach
- Alex Richey, Oglethorpe women's coach
- Ryan Scott, Around the Nation Columnist, & Bob Quillman, DIII basketball aficionado ("Buy or Sell")

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Smitty Oom

New England College is a possible team for the "Darkhorse" section of Hoopsville with Ryan. Sitting at 21-3 (will be 22-3 after they beat last place Lesley next Sat.), with losses only to Middlebury, Wartburg and Southern Vermont in OT. The SVU loss is a bad one, but nothing disappointing losing to the Panthers and Knights. Sure their best win is probably Simpson (not great) and the SOS is dreadful at .430, but with a lot of experience and being on fire as of late (10 game W streak), they might give a team a scare in the NCAA tourney if they end up winning the AQ.

D3ball1845

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 10, 2019, 12:26:40 AM
New England College is a possible team for the "Darkhorse" section of Hoopsville with Ryan. Sitting at 21-3 (will be 22-3 after they beat last place Lesley next Sat.), with losses only to Middlebury, Wartburg and Southern Vermont in OT. The SVU loss is a bad one, but nothing disappointing losing to the Panthers and Knights. Sure their best win is probably Simpson (not great) and the SOS is dreadful at .430, but with a lot of experience and being on fire as of late (10 game W streak), they might give a team a scare in the NCAA tourney if they end up winning the AQ.

Think this is a bit of a hot take if you ask me. I don't know a lot about NEC or the NECC but have tried to learn a bit after ENC left the CCC for the NECC this season. You've pretty much hit the nail on the head assessing NEC though. A very impressive record with a dismal SOS. Additionally, their losses to Middlebury and Wartburg were by 20+ points. The Southern Vermont loss doesn't look particularly good either. Both of their games against Southern Vermont have gone to OT, so I think they'd just be happy escaping with the AQ. I think any team that got matched up with NEC in the first round of the NCAA tournament would likely be licking their chops. Again, this is just my opinion after evaluating NECs performance this season in 15 or so minutes.

Smitty Oom

I am not projecting them to make the Sweet Sixteen, or even win one game in the NCAA tourney for that matter. I just think they have put together a decent enough resume to qualify for a "Dark Horse" or "Deep Dive" nomination on the show and get a little recognition for a team/conference that usually does not have particularly strong teams.

Your RWU Eagles may be a solid nomination for the same category, actually. The CCC is particularly strong this year and ending up at 3rd place behind Gordon and Nichols who have very realistic Pool C hopes is not too shabby. And of course, as you have mentioned on the boards multiple times, Austin Coene has some of the best stats in all of D3 this year. So a solid record in a solid conference with some star power... a good recipe for another "Deep Dive" team.

D3ball1845

Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 10, 2019, 01:14:13 AM
I am not projecting them to make the Sweet Sixteen, or even win one game in the NCAA tourney for that matter. I just think they have put together a decent enough resume to qualify for a "Dark Horse" or "Deep Dive" nomination on the show and get a little recognition for a team/conference that usually does not have particularly strong teams.

Your RWU Eagles may be a solid nomination for the same category, actually. The CCC is particularly strong this year and ending up at 3rd place behind Gordon and Nichols who have very realistic Pool C hopes is not too shabby. And of course, as you have mentioned on the boards multiple times, Austin Coene has some of the best stats in all of D3 this year. So a solid record in a solid conference with some star power... a good recipe for another "Deep Dive" team.

Ahhhh I see what you're saying now. I wasn't sure what constituted a team being a "Dark Horse" or "Deep Dive" team for the Hoopsville show. I was basing it off of how I've previously seen the term used in the D1 NCAA Tournament, where a team is considered a "dark horse" if they have a possibility of pulling off an upset or two, while likely having no realistic chance of winning the entire tournament. However, after your clarification I think that NEC certainly qualifies as this, especially if they make the NCAA Tournament.

Thank you for including RWU as a possible consideration as well. They are actually the Hawks not the Eagles, but hey you were pretty close by just knowing they were some type of bird. I think this is the strongest CCC I've seen in my four years of following the conference. I don't know how that will translate over to NCAA tournament bids, but I would be shocked if they didn't receive at least two bids for the third year in a row. I think Gordon and Nichols are the only teams who have a realistic chance of Pool C consideration. RWU finished 0-4 versus these two teams, but 3/4 were decided by less than 10 points and 4/4 RWU had the lead at halftime. They also beat Endicott twice, who has some very strong non-conference wins this year and has been talked about on the same level as Gordon and Nichols. RWU has certainly flown under the radar and deserves some recognition, although they're just hovering above .500. If they were able to win the CCC championship, I do think they'd make for a scary first round NCAA tournament matchup for any team in the country.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: D3ball1845 on February 10, 2019, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: Smitty Oom on February 10, 2019, 01:14:13 AM

Ahhhh I see what you're saying now. I wasn't sure what constituted a team being a "Dark Horse" or "Deep Dive" team for the Hoopsville show. I was basing it off of how I've previously seen the term used in the D1 NCAA Tournament, where a team is considered a "dark horse" if they have a possibility of pulling off an upset or two, while likely having no realistic chance of winning the entire tournament. However, after your clarification I think that NEC certainly qualifies as this, especially if they make the NCAA Tournament.

Thank you for including RWU as a possible consideration as well. They are actually the Hawks not the Eagles, but hey you were pretty close by just knowing they were some type of bird. I think this is the strongest CCC I've seen in my four years of following the conference. I don't know how that will translate over to NCAA tournament bids, but I would be shocked if they didn't receive at least two bids for the third year in a row. I think Gordon and Nichols are the only teams who have a realistic chance of Pool C consideration. RWU finished 0-4 versus these two teams, but 3/4 were decided by less than 10 points and 4/4 RWU had the lead at halftime. They also beat Endicott twice, who has some very strong non-conference wins this year and has been talked about on the same level as Gordon and Nichols. RWU has certainly flown under the radar and deserves some recognition, although they're just hovering above .500. If they were able to win the CCC championship, I do think they'd make for a scary first round NCAA tournament matchup for any team in the country.

It was late last night and I knew their logo is a large blue bird with his wings out... so I just went with eagles cause more often than not it is correct but I was definitely wrong LOL. It is also a 15 second google, so I really should be better.

I am also not entirely sure what the third category on the show is... I know they have dubious, debate and I think it is Deep dive, not dark horse. So I might have messed up there as well. Be careful when late night posting, kids! Anyways, Deep Dive is a more appropriate term for NEC. You are right, they are not a dark horse team that has a chance to make the final four.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

TheOsprey

Hi ya'll.   Very impressed by Newbury's upset over Dean.  Congratulations on moving on.   Good luck next game.

TheOsprey

Newbury into the NECC Finals!! :o. Good luck and steal the bid. :)