BB: Regionals (Midwest) 2012 Whitewater WI

Started by Ralph Turner, April 29, 2012, 06:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OshDude

We're doing a conference call in a half hour, but here's how I think the Whitewater Regional should look. I'm sure there will be a compromise in our talks.

MW: St. Thomas, La Crosse, Chicago, St. Scholastica/St. John's, Whitewater, Aurora, Coe, St. Norbert.

St. John's or CSS to the West. Concordia Chicago, if in, to Etta.

North Park and Illinois Wesleyan to Rhodes. Birmingham Southern to Virginia. My personal mock has six total flights.

D3Vike11

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on May 13, 2012, 09:29:06 PM
We're doing a conference call in a half hour, but here's how I think the Whitewater Regional should look. I'm sure there will be a compromise in our talks.

MW: St. Thomas, La Crosse, Chicago, St. Scholastica/St. John's, Whitewater, Aurora, Coe, St. Norbert.

North Park and Illinois Wesleyan to Rhodes. Birmingham Southern to Virginia. My personal mock has six total flights.

Interesting. I can see North Park to MW, IWU to Rhodes along with Birmingham Southern. Also, St. Thomas out West.
"90% of the game is half mental." - Yogi Berra

OshDude

Quote from: D3Vike11 on May 13, 2012, 10:36:37 PM

Interesting. I can see North Park to MW, IWU to Rhodes along with Birmingham Southern. Also, St. Thomas out West.
Our predictions on the front page are forthcoming.

D3Vike11

Quote from: Ricky Nelson on May 13, 2012, 11:52:47 PM
Quote from: D3Vike11 on May 13, 2012, 10:36:37 PM

Our predictions on the front page are forthcoming.

waiting patiently...

mr_b

NCAA playoff field released

North Park will go to the Midwest Regional (Whitewater), along with Aurora and Concordia-Chicago.  Illinois Wesleyan will go the the Central (Millington, TN) also with Wash U and Webster.

D3Vike11

1st Round Matchups:

(4)Wis-Whitwater vs (5)Concordia-Chicago     10:00 am

(1)St. Thomas vs (8)St. Norbert         1:00 pm

(3)North Park vs (6)St. Scholastica        4:00 pm

(2)Wis-La Crosse vs (7)Aurora         7:00 pm

biggio34

I'm a bit surprised by the love that Whitewater is getting with the #4 seed.  Whitewater goes from being not ranked in the first region ranking, to getting 3 of 4 games from Point, they some how jumped from not being regionally ranked to 3rd (based on the Point games alone) in the next ranking, then stay at what looks like a #3 midwest ranking after getting smoked 2 more times by LAX in the conference tournament.  That's 0-6 vs LAX on the year, some bad losses to Plateville (1), Bethel (1), OshKosh (2) on their resume, yet some how their really nice SOS is still enough to make them the #3 in the Midwest.

I know they are a good team and I feel they have a chance to win the regional... but I don't totally get them being seeded #4. 

MIACLUV

I'm with you Biggio34! This whole Midwest regional can be questioned. Not even sure I can justify the Tommies as a #1 seed based on their play of late. LaCrosse is clearly the best team in the Region right now. Not to say I mind the Tommies playing Norberts instead of Aurora, because that is a pretty good #7 seed. Speaking of Aurora, what do you have to do to get above a team from your own conference. Aurora wins the league that Conc. Chicago (3rd) is in, and wins the conference tournament. REALLY how does the regional voters keep putting them ahead of Aurora? I get it SOS, but head to head has to mean something. Vodelich being on the regional rankings commitee definitely isn't hurting WW's case. Who is going to stand up and go against him? I know Coach Verdugo is the MIAC rep and he isn't the type to do it. Also the MIAC tournament obviously helped the Tommies keep the #1 seed because they insist on going into Sunday. So my guess would be that the rankings were submitted prior to the outcome of the tournament. And I would ask the NCAA, what the heck? You take two teams that would have been lower seeds and closer (St. Johns - St. Could, MN & Coe College - Cedar Rapids IA) to Whitewater and ship them out West? And worst you throw a North Park into a Regional that is already a dog fight of quality teams. I can see either of those two coming out of the West to Appleton. How easy would it have been to ship North Park and Conc. Chicago out there on the same plane out of Chicago. It all just makes to much sense to do it that way, so the NCAA wont do it that way. Good luck to all the teams, they'll need it.

D3Vike11

One could make an argument that the Midwest Regional is the toughest regional out there.

Babe Truth

Yeah, how on Earth does Aurora get just a #7?  They'll likely be playing with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.  But if UWL keeps playing the way they did in their dominating performance this weekend it won't matter who's playing them.

biggio34

Quote from: Babe Truth on May 14, 2012, 01:51:13 PM
Yeah, how on Earth does Aurora get just a #7?  They'll likely be playing with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove.  But if UWL keeps playing the way they did in their dominating performance this weekend it won't matter who's playing them.

The Aurora seed does not make sense.  I would think that flipping them and Conc C would make more sense, but apparently its all about SOS.  Winning the conf, the tournament, and beating Conc C head to head in the process is apparently not good enough. 

Does anyone have the numbers on this, I'm interested to see how the midwest numbers layout, I'm guessing they are fairly overwhelming in favor of WW and Conc C and that's why they got the seeds they did.

BigPoppa

Conc SoS in in the 40-50th range while Aurora is the 130-150th....

UPDATED: UWW is #30, CUC is #54 and Aurora is #174... hence the difference in the seeds.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

D3Vike11

Record vs other Midwest Region opponents:

St. Thomas 4-2 (2-0 St. Scholastica, 1-1 LaX, 1-1 Whitewater)
Wis-LaX 8-4 (1-1 St. Thomas, 1-1 Concordia, 0-2 St. Scholastica, 6-0 Whitewater)
North Park 0-0
Whitewater 2-8 (1-1 St. Thomas, 1-1 St. Scholastica, 0-6 Wis-LaX)
Concordia (IL) 2-3 (1-1 Wis-LaX, 1-2 Aurora)
St. Scholastica  3-3 (0-2 St. Thomas, 2-0 Wis-LaX, 1-1 Whitewater)
Aurora  2-1 (Concordia)
St. Norbert 0-0

MIACLUV

Schedules and SOS are only controllable to a point. The conference your school is in is really beyond your control (see CSS, Aurora, Conc. Chi, St. Norberts) and the Florida schedule is a shot in the dark that there will be decent teams that happen to be on break at the same time and in your location, and by the way lets hope they're decent this year. So look at the games below. This is what I like to call "controllable schedule." Lastly the teams in the WIAC basicly get bonus credit in the Conf. Tournament where as the NAC, UMAC, MWC conferences get penalized by playing their own conf. tournament. Seems to make sense. 

Game scheduled that are not Florida or Conference:
St. Thomas: CSS-3, WW-2, LAX-2, Osh-2, U of MN-1
Aurora: Monmouth-2, Augustanna-2, U of Chic-2, Elmhurst-1, Carthage-1, Wheaton-1
St. Norberts: Wash U-3, UWSP-2, Carthage-1, 
UW-Whitewater: Bethel-2, UST-2, Ripon-2, CSS-2, Conc Wis-1
UW-LaCrosse: UST-2, CSS-2, St. Olaf-2
St. Scholastica: UST-3, Wash U-2, Buena Vista-2, St. Olaf-2, LAX-2, WW-2
Conc Chi: Rose Holman-1, Alma-1, Ill Wes-1 (non-conf), U of Chi-1, Wheaton-1, Carthage-2

Aurora & Conc Chi are pretty comparable with scheduling common teams, CSS never can overcome the UMAC schedule which is too bad because that is a pretty good non-conference schedule. The MIAC & WIAC traditionally get good numbers from the conference teams which helps keep a 15 loss WW team on the board and kept UWSP right there until the end.