BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDB

Quote from: Jim Dixon on December 06, 2019, 12:27:44 PM
This explains all the success at UW-Stout.

And no recruiting competition from UW-River Falls and previously UW-Eau Claire in the area. And as far as a coach with Minnesota connections there was a Gardenhire as head coach for some years. I have never understood the lack of success.

BigPoppa

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on December 07, 2019, 10:33:58 AM

And no recruiting competition from UW-River Falls and previously UW-Eau Claire in the area. And as far as a coach with Minnesota connections there was a Gardenhire as head coach for some years. I have never understood the lack of success.

Agree 100%. No ideas why Stout didn't scoop up ALL of the local talent and venture into the Twin Cities once in a while.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on December 06, 2019, 06:34:13 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on December 05, 2019, 12:10:02 PM
I am curious to see if UWEC hires a coach with connections to the Twin Cities... could be a recruiting gold mine for them with the right coach. They would be a able to pull from a huge metropolitan area that is about two hours away.

On a different subject, does Wisconsin and Minnesota have a tuition sharing program where you can get in-state tuition from the neighboring state?

Yes, for a long time.  A few years back Minnesota had issues with it but they worked it out and it's continued. Some Wisconsin schools also have it with Illinois.  That isn't a system wide thing though.  Also I believe Platteville has some sort of arrangement with Iowa focused on engineering students.   

Alaska is part of a west coast arrangement where out of state tuition is waived for several NW states.

BigPoppa

Question: If UW-Eau Claire has yet to name a baseball coach for the return of the sport in 2021, how can the school recruit players (who should be making their college choices in the next few months) so they can start to build a roster of student-athletes for the fall of 2020?

An honest observation. Or did they name one and I have just yet to see it somewhere?

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 06, 2020, 08:23:39 AM
Question: If UW-Eau Claire has yet to name a baseball coach for the return of the sport in 2021, how can the school recruit players (who should be making their college choices in the next few months) so they can start to build a roster of student-athletes for the fall of 2020?

An honest observation. Or did they name one and I have just yet to see it somewhere?

Their press release issued last October indicated they would begin the process of hiring "immediately."  As a state school they would have had to post the job for 30 days so that period has come and gone.  But like yourself I have yet to see or hear anything.

Just speaking for myself I don't think I'd want to come to a school a year in advance to when I would begin playing.  Wouldn't it commit you to a fifth year (at your expense) if you wanted to use the four years of eligibility you have coming?  Waiting a year when I could be playing somewhere else would be bad enough but the extra financial burden would be enough to turn me away. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

BigPoppa

Unless I am wrong, they are scheduled to begin play in Spring of 2021... that would be next year... meaning they need to get those kids on campus for the fall of 2020. They are going to be way behind in terms of recruiting unless their new coach (whenever named) can hit the ground running and pull in some JuCo talent right away to compete in the WIAC.

The expansion of UW-Eau Claire's athletics teams will include the reinstatement of men's baseball (which was discontinued in 1995) and the addition of women's lacrosse in the spring 2021 season, as well as the addition of men's soccer in the fall 2021 season.

BigPoppa

A well-placed source of mine informs me that UWEC will announce the new head coach to lead the resurrection of BluGold baseball in the next week or two.

BigPoppa

Progress! UWEC officially has a baseball website now (at least the framework for one, anyway).

https://www.blugolds.com/sports/bsb/index

Anybody have an idea who is in the running for the head job? I'd assume a few WIAC assistants or MIAC assistants might have some interest.

tomt4525

Quote from: BigPoppa on January 21, 2020, 11:58:22 AM
Progress! UWEC officially has a baseball website now (at least the framework for one, anyway).

Anybody have an idea who is in the running for the head job? I'd assume a few WIAC assistants or MIAC assistants might have some interest.

I think if someone knew something about who is interested in the job, and also reads these boards....they would have responded to your question 1 of the last 3 or 4 times you have asked it.  Nobody knows anything, everyone is waiting on the announcement.

BigPoppa

Quote from: tomt4525 on January 21, 2020, 12:02:38 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on January 21, 2020, 11:58:22 AM

I think if someone knew something about who is interested in the job, and also reads these boards....they would have responded to your question 1 of the last 3 or 4 times you have asked it.  Nobody knows anything, everyone is waiting on the announcement.

Fair point.

Jim Dixon

@UWECblugolds give @UWECBaseball a follow....major announcement coming soon! #letswin @d3baseball

I suspect this tweet means a head coach hire.

PauldingLightUP

Charles Bolden has just been announced as the UW-Eau Claire head coach. He is a former assistant at Illinois Tech.

tomt4525

https://athletics.uwsp.edu/sports/baseball/roster/zack-haupt/11476

UWSP's roster is posted.  I don't see any names of note as far as newcomers go, another Jirschele special as far as recruiting goes.  UWSP picked to take 2nd to last in the conference after being a perennial power under Bloom, I'm sure Cubs will come on here and tell us all how Jirschele is doing a great job though.

cubs

You literally can set your watch to it... and then it's like a record on repeat, only this time it starts in February instead of waiting until May.

For the record, I had UWSP (and UWO for that matter) missing the WIAC Tournament last season four games into their WIAC slate, but feel free to keep speaking for me though...
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion