BB: MIAC: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustie13

Big Poppa~

Thanks for the info.

Do you think UWW and Ripon get in with Pool C bids if they lose in their Conf tourney? Ripon shouldn't, but the WIAC is competitive (although down this year compared to the MIAC)

Assuming all the favorites win (stupid, I know, but lets play What If): Edgewood, Ripon, UWW, USt, and CSS in a Pool B or C (although I debate their case), who gets the last bid? StO or GAC is who I see it coming down to. The MIAC has been stronger than the WIAC this year (8-3 I believe including 4-0 vs the top 4 WIAC playoff seeds). StO and GAC split and then it turns in a Well Yeah But... contest. GAC Has beaten WIAC champ UW Whitewater and its ace, split with nationally ranked NC Wesleyan, and split with regionally ranked Simpson and Williams. StO has swept st scholastica, split with MIAC champ UST, WIAC #3 Stevens Point, and regionally ranked Wash & Jefferson. I really think that whichever of those 2 teams finishes higher in the conf tourney deserves a bid to regions.

Gustie13

Tony Konicek was voted MIAC Player of the Year my sources tell me. Joining him on the All Conf squad from Gustavus were Sr SS Aaron Madsen, Sr P Josh Spitzack, and So. C Shea Roehrkasse

MIAC Playoffs postponed Friday. 2 games will be played Saturday and the rest Sunday. If Saturday gets postponed the tourney would become single elim on Sunday.

Pat Coleman

Actually, it became single elimination today. There was a rain delay in the middle of the fifth as well. Currently Hamline leads St. Thomas 4-1, heading to top of 9.

http://webpages.charter.net/esieger/sbbsblive/xlive.htm
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gustie13

P Coleman~

Were you at the games yesterday? I went to both with some Gustie Baseball Alum. Mathison pitched incredible in relief of Pitcher of the Year Eric Tobias who couldn't throw strikes.

I hope the Stoles win today so Hamline isn't the MIAC representative in the regionals. If St Olaf wins I think UST deserves a bid, but if Hamline wins, who deserves to go more, StO or UST?? Pretty debatable I think.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gustie13

Jeepers, Ryan is killing me. No shots of the StO-GAC game?? I'll give him a benefit of the doubt and assume he got too engrossed in watching MIAC POY Tony Konicek...
Some good shots of the other games tho.

Pat Coleman

I believe the weather was an issue with Saturday's games. The UST/Hamline shoot was not a complete-game shoot either.

Ryan Coleman

Yeah, that was part of it. The weather has been unpredicitably bad all week here (rain almost every day). I did get out there today. Yesterday I drove down with Dave Sanders (our other MN photographer) but he had prior obligations in the evening and, since the game started an hour late and with the rain delay, I called it a wash in the fifth inning and we started to head back home.

Ideally, I would have loved to stick around but I was reading the clouds and how quickly things were moving and I didn't see the second game starting before we had to turn back. Sure enough, it started at 5 minutes to 4:00 and we would have been on the road going back in the middle of the first inning.

My sincerest apologies Gustie13. I am sure, however, that the St Olaf photographer got some of the game. You might be able to find some photos on their website.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 15, 2006, 01:48:31 AM
I believe the weather was an issue with Saturday's games. The UST/Hamline shoot was not a complete-game shoot either.

--
Ryan Coleman
Publisher, d3photography.com

Photo store | X | Mastodon | Patreon

Gustie13

Haha, not a problem RC, just giving ya a hard time. Besides Konicek's grand slam I dont how many good pictures the Gusties would have had anyways.

Brackets out (link in MWC thread). Potential St. Olaf v UST 2nd round match up.....

Just Bill

NCAA Division III Regional
at Witter Field, Wisconsin Rapids
Wednesday, May 17
Game 1 – 9:30 a.m. - #5 UW-Stevens Point (29-15) vs. #4 St. Scholastica (36-4)
Game 2 – 1 p.m. - #2 St. Olaf (28-8) vs. #7 Dominican (21-19)
Game 3 – 4:30 p.m. - #3 St. Thomas (29-9) vs. #6 Coe (26-17)
Game 4 – 8 p.m. - #1 Ripon (31-5) vs. Game 1 winner

Thursday, May 18
Game 5 – 9:30 a.m. - Loser Game 2 vs. Loser Game 3
Game 6 – 1 p.m. - Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3
Game 7 – 4:30 p.m. - Loser Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5
Game 8 – 8 p.m. - Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 6

Friday, May 19
Game 9 – Noon - Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 6
Game 10 – 3:30 p.m. - Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8
Game 11 – 7 p.m. - Loser Game 9 vs. Winner Game 10

Saturday, May 20
Game 12 – Noon - Winner Game 9 vs. Winner Game 11
Game 13 – 4 p.m. - if necessary
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Eagle Eyes

We'll see if we can get any action revved up on this MIAC Board. I'm a "newbie" to these boards, but have followed the MIAC for several years and also follow all of college baseball throughout Minn., Wisc. and Iowa.

I'd have to say the early favorites in the MIAC will be St. Olaf and St. Thomas (UST). St. Olaf has virtually all of their position starters back from their NCAA regional team last year, but lost 2 sr. pitchers who pitched alot (including the MIAC pitcher of the year in '06). But they do have a couple stud pitchers back - pitching depth will be the question. UST lost many position starters to graduation, but has virtually all their pitching back from a staff that was near the top of all D3 in team ERA last year. Their defense should be solid with the pop in the bats being the question mark. They may actually put the ball in play better than recent teams and play more "small ball". After those teams, the sleeper team (although they may not be a sleeper any more as they really emerged last season) may be Hamline who got within one game of getting into the NCAA regionals last year. They were young last year and return lots of talent. They just don't have the tradition of being a contender, but they should be an interesting team to watch. After that, Gustavus, Concordia, and Augsburg lost some key talent to graduation and may struggle a bit. If Bethel could find some pitching, they could surprise. And anybody else in the league would have to have some major surprises to contend. But all this prognosticating doesn't take into account any contributions from stud freshmen or transfers that I don't know about.

I'll make one comment about the WIAC - it has to be the strongest D3 baseball league, outside of possibly the New Jersey conference. Wisc.-Stevens Pt. should be powerful this year led by Jordan Zimmerman, a likely MLB draftee this spring. They did lose some big bats from a year ago (saw them play in the Wisc. Rapids regional last spring), but they return lots of pitching. They, St. Thomas and St. Scholastica (another MidWest perennial power) will play a round robin in the MetroDome on March 5. Should be an interesting start to the year!

BigPoppa

I thought eveyone in the MIAC died... glad to finally get a post from you. Thanks for the info on the teams. It is greatly appreciated.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

TC

For all of you who were wondering if the world would stop turning without Johnnies, I think this board proves pretty conclusively it would.

Who looks good in 2007?
St. John's Football: Ordinary people doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.

WWW.JOHNNIEFOOTBALL.COM

Pat Coleman

I'm sure that's not at all related to the Johnnie fans who haze newcomers and chase them off.