D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

Halftime--

Hardin-Simmons and Williams are goalless.

According to Dave McHugh, Williams seemed to have the majority of the possession in the first half.

deiscanton

Williams wins, 1-0, over Hardin-Simmons as Alison Lu gets the game winner with less than 5 minutes left in regulation.

This is the first loss for the Cowgirls since Sept 1, 2016, as last season ended for the Cowgirls on PKs after they drew with Wash U.

Chicago plays Williams tomorrow for the championship.

2xfaux

This should be great game with two big, athletic, and skilled teams.  Earlier in the season I saw Williams play a couple of games where they seemed unfocused and a bit sloppy but they are certainly playing really well now. 

deiscanton

Congratulations to Williams on winning their second d3 women's soccer title.

Entertaining final, particularly the second half.  I can't blame Dave McHugh for mispronouncing Williams's #13 Aspen Pierson's hometown wrong all weekend.  For the record, Pierson hails from Framingham, MA and is a graduate of Rivers School.  However, the Williams website misspelled the name of the home city as "Farmingham, MA", and "D-Mac" dutifully pronounced the city all weekend as it was misspelled.  The fault is on the Williams sports info department for not getting the spelling right.

Williams kept 6 clean sheets for the tournament. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on December 03, 2017, 07:22:37 AM

Entertaining final, particularly the second half.  I can't blame Dave McHugh for mispronouncing Williams's #13 Aspen Pierson's hometown wrong all weekend.  For the record, Pierson hails from Framingham, MA and is a graduate of Rivers School.  However, the Williams website misspelled the name of the home city as "Farmingham, MA", and "D-Mac" dutifully pronounced the city all weekend as it was misspelled.  The fault is on the Williams sports info department for not getting the spelling right.

Wait...what?!

Not only on their website... but on the Word roster, PDFs, and anything else I was handed (and copied) said Farmingham!!! And since I know, very well, there is a difference between Farmingham and Framingham in that state... I was being careful!!!

Un-freaken-real. SMH
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

irapthor

Quote from: deiscanton on December 03, 2017, 07:22:37 AM

On a positive note, I was sooooo impressed with how Williams possessed the ball. It was some of the prettiest soccer I've ever seen in Division III...their style of soccer is gorgeous and it was a joy to call these games.
Ira Thor
Award-winning former 20-year SID and Assistant AD at New Jersey City University. Current Chief Communications Officer. NY/NJ and national professional and collegiate PA announcer, PBP announcer and commentator. D3hoops.com Top voter since 2002......Howell Township (NJ) Board of Education...Husband/father of 3. Hasbeen soccer goalkeeper.

nescac1

Congrats to the Ephs on a spectacular year and an amazing four-year run!   In six final four games over that stretch, they had 5 wins, one tie (losing in PKs) and only one goal allowed in total.  Unreal.  The Ephs changed their entire offensive style this year, amazing for a team which has had so much recent success, but they kept improving over time and culminated with a tremendous run of play in the NCAAs.

Williams didn't have 1-2 superstar scorers up front like they relied on in their prior championship runs (although they have 3-4 players who probably could have scored a bunch more goals had they been featured more heavily as a primary striker) but the hallmark of the team this year was fantastic pace and an ability to score from a wide variety of personnel, and a wide variety of positions on the field, enabled by tremendous depth.   And of course, their backline and goalkeeper were rock-solid, as reflected by no goals allowed in the tournament (although JHU and Chicago both could have scored several, certainly). 

Only the goalie and two of the key defenders / defensive midfielders played 90 minutes each game -- everyone else on the roster basically split time, keeping the team fresh.  Now, those two 90 minute defensive-oriented players, all-American Sim and  all-Region Gancedo, will be tough to replace, as will Albaneze, who had a tremendous year up front and probably deserved to be higher than a third-team all-American.  But because of so much depth employed during this year, Williams will still return two proven, experienced performers at every spot up front, and at least one at every spot in the backfield.  Although the Ephs don't return any all-American players, they have a few who are waiting in the wings to claim such honors, in particular, GK Barnhill, F Lu, B Webber, and MFs Laino and Turner-Wyatt, all of whom are exceptional players desitined for individual accolades in the future.  The Ephs should keep right on rolling!