MBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Sul Ross Lobos, February 26, 2005, 03:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Brownfield (TX) HS and Coach Dustin Faught on winning the Class AAA UIL State Championship!

Coach Faught played for Coach Ron Holmes at McMurry about 2003-2006.

gordonmann

This is a quiet board, but just in case anyone is lurking, we have all the ASC men's and women's basketball schedules posted for next season except for East Texas Baptist. If you click on the team pages, they will still default to last season for a little while. But you can get next season's schedules by switching the dates at the end of the URL.

http://d3hoops.com/teams/Hardin-Simmons/Men/2016-17/index
http://d3hoops.com/teams/Texas-Tyler/Women/2016-17/index

Ralph Turner

Nice win, McMurry 71 at Southwestern 70 (OT)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Believe it or not... there is just one more month remaining in Division III basketball's regular season. In other words, time is running out for teams looking to play in March. One month from today, most conference champions will be crowned and the conversation will be who may be in and will be out of the NCAA championship tournament.

So as the season head's for the home stretch, what programs will we be talking about in a month? Who may emerge from some tight conferences races to prove they are the best?

Sunday night on Hoopsville, Dave hopes to turn the spotlight on a few programs others may not be paying attention to as much. Tufts' men's program is seperating themselves from the rest of the NESCAC, Elmhurst women are making the CCIW race more interesting than expected, LeTourneau men have turned their program around and now lead their ASC division, and Montclair State women have a battle on their hands in the NJAC.

Also on Sunday night, we head to the WBCA Center Court and talk to one of the up and coming women's basketball coaches. Already honored for his success at a young age, what has Alex Richay done to turn the Oglethorpe program around?

Dave will also preview the upcoming annual Hoopsville Marathon and give an update to this season's fundraising efforts.

Tune in starting at 7:00 PM ET to watch the show live here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/jan29 (or via Facebook Live). If you miss any of it, you can watch the show On Demand or listen (download) the podcast.

Don't forget to contribute to the new "Hoopsville Mailbag" segment. Email questions you may have to hoopsville@d3hoops.com. Dave will answer them tonight or on a future show.

Guests schedule (in order of appearance):
- Bob Sheldon, No. 4 Tufts men's coach
- Tethanie Carriollo, Elmhurst women's coach
- Alex Richay, Oglethorpe women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Dan Miller, LeTourneau men's coach
- Karin Harvey, No. 18 Montclair State women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Ran out of time today to get this out before the show started, but taking care if it now while I have the opportunity (during the show).

The time is now. Teams who want or think they should be playing in March need to get the job done now. This week all conferences, except the UAA, will dive into conference tournaments to determine who will win an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship Tournament. For those who can't win the AQ, then they have to make sure to present the best resume possible to the national committees and that means taking care of business the best they can.

Who is in and who is out? We will figure that out over the course of next week and on next week's Hoopsville Special. In the meantime on tonight's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh talks to a few teams who are looking to position themselves to be in the conversation. We also preview many of the conference races and look at who may already be in trouble when it comes to playing basketball in March.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio starting LIVE at 7:00 PM ET. You can watch the show in the video player above or via the simulcast on Facebook Live. If you missed the show, you can catch up On Demand in the video player or listen to the podcasts located to the right (available after the show is off the air).

A reminder the Sunday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the Northeast, Atlantic, South, and Central regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign has less than three weeks remaining, but we are no where close to reaching our goal. Click here for more information:  Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Mia Smith, Illinois Wesleyan women's coach
- Stan Bonewitz, Concordia (Texas) men's coach
- Matt Ducharme, Mass-Dartmouth women's coach
- Andrea Kendall, Randolph women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Tim McDonald, Cabrini men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to the Cowboys.

I am glad that you are hosting first round games.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 01, 2017, 11:40:56 AM

Did I see a tweet from Pat during the selection show that said as top seed they paid the NCAA for the privilege of hosting (so the NCAA could afford to pay to fly someone there) ?   Would love to know what the cost was as I never knew that was an option. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 01, 2017, 01:00:09 PM

Did I see a tweet from Pat during the selection show that said as top seed they paid the NCAA for the privilege of hosting (so the NCAA could afford to pay to fly someone there) ?   Would love to know what the cost was as I never knew that was an option.

Absolutely not... that isn't at all what Pat's tweet said. Pat was indicating the the NCAA paid for an extra flight which allowed Hardin-Simmons to host. No one paid the NCAA for the privilege of hosting. It isn't an option. It is just that the NCAA "allowed" one more than the minimum this bracket showed was necessary in terms of flights.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2017, 01:03:48 PM

Absolutely not... that isn't at all what Pat's tweet said. Pat was indicating the the NCAA paid for an extra flight which allowed Hardin-Simmons to host. No one paid the NCAA for the privilege of hosting. It isn't an option. It is just that the NCAA "allowed" one more than the minimum this bracket showed was necessary in terms of flights.

Great, now I have even more reason to be unhappy about them not doing the same thing for a 26-1 Trinity women's team that has already defeated two of the three teams (including the host) in their pod.   Thanks, Dave. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 01, 2017, 02:41:14 PM

Great, now I have even more reason to be unhappy about them not doing the same thing for a 26-1 Trinity women's team that has already defeated two of the three teams (including the host) in their pod.   Thanks, Dave.

No way the NCAA was going to pay to get everyone to Trinity. They are already paying for enough flights on the women's side (look at the second weekend which is unavoidable). They had to be smart on the women's side and they had an easy 500-mile solution on the women's side that on the men's side wasn't as easy to solve.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2017, 02:55:57 PM

No way the NCAA was going to pay to get everyone to Trinity. They are already paying for enough flights on the women's side (look at the second weekend which is unavoidable). They had to be smart on the women's side and they had an easy 500-mile solution on the women's side that on the men's side wasn't as easy to solve.

Just as with HSU, it would have been precisely one more plane trip since UT-D could get on the bus to SA just like Trinity is doing to Dallas.   I'm happy HSU gets to host, but what's good for the gander should have been equally good for the goose.

I would pay good money to have someone go back over the last ten years and see how many times the 500-mile rule has cost schools hosting duties, and which schools were impacted the most.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply... that maybe the men were able to get something the women weren't. My reply would be that the women have far more flights in the second weekend due to the nature of the teams involved (especially the top teams) than the men's bracket. The NCAA does tear these things a part. If the women could break it up with another flight, I also trust they wouldn't have focused on Texas but rather the Northwest to get an NWC team out of the hell pod there.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2017, 08:55:23 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply... that maybe the men were able to get something the women weren't. My reply would be that the women have far more flights in the second weekend due to the nature of the teams involved (especially the top teams) than the men's bracket. The NCAA does tear these things a part. If the women could break it up with another flight, I also trust they wouldn't have focused on Texas but rather the Northwest to get an NWC team out of the hell pod there.

LOL   ;)

I have always liked the idea of setting the brackets as East and West of the Mississippi River.

The ASC (except Belhaven). SCAC, Hendrix, some SLIAC's, IIAC, assorted MIAC's, NWC, SCIAC's and UC Banana Slug would compete for the West Slot of Finals and every one else would compete for the "East" slot in the Finals!

;D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Ron Boerger on March 01, 2017, 05:12:41 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 01, 2017, 02:55:57 PM

Just as with HSU, it would have been precisely one more plane trip since UT-D could get on the bus to SA just like Trinity is doing to Dallas.   I'm happy HSU gets to host, but what's good for the gander should have been equally good for the goose.

I would pay good money to have someone go back over the last ten years and see how many times the 500-mile rule has cost schools hosting duties, and which schools were impacted the most.

The women are already going to have twice as many flights in this tournament as the men.  I suspect the HSU flight was in order to make what's good for the goose good for the gander.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere