FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gate90, Scoops and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

bantamweight

Quote from: Oline89 on October 09, 2020, 03:44:27 PM
I have seen on multiple boards, including this one, people claiming that the vast majority of seniors are coming back for one more season.  I wonder how accurate those "reports" are.  Making the decision to not apply for a job, holding off on applying to med/law school, deferring interviews for internships...these are really tough decisions for these kids to make.  Missing senior year of a sport is devastating, but how many kids can afford to really put off life for another year?
I agree with you. Some kids are looking at a semester as though it isn't that long to wait. But your point about grad school, especially, is spot on. Many would still need to wait until the next fall to enroll.

monjmafb

About 75% of seniors (and juniors + sophomores) at Williams have deferred at least a semester to hold on to their eligibility, whereas about 75% of the overall student body has returned to Wtown to take classes.   Correspondingly the Ephs  '25 recruiting class will be smaller than previous years- around 15 commits.

Which begs the question if the same thing is going on at Bowdoin.  I can see why some Polar Bear players may not defer, given their record, but Hammer may not have much more than 14 tips anyway.

JEFFFAN

I admit that I preferred the normal days of multiple NESCAC football posts every Saturday.    Here's to a healthy season next year!

nescac1

What's up with the NESCAC to Big Ten transfers?  Duncan, Austin Hutcherson, and now Terry Zapf.  Tough blow for the Ephs to lose a guy who would have been a four-year starter at tackle.  But at least Raymond et al have two recruiting classes to try to find a replacement in 2021 ...

https://fightingillini.com/sports/football/roster/terry-zapf/10501

nescac1

monjmafb, if Williams is really bringing in only around 15 recruits this year (which makes sense, given that they will have nearly five classes worth of players on the roster next year), it seems like the Ephs are almost done with recruiting.  Here is the list of Williams commitments I've seen (and heck, there could be a few others):

Jonathan Velasquez, 6'0 275 OL, Cheshire Academy
Ian McCarron, 5'11 185 S, BC High
Alec Washecka, 6'3 265 OL, Darien
Luke Bobo, 6'0 180 QB, Belmont Hill
Jack Ledden, 5'10 165 WR, North Shore (Long Island)
Anthony Morrison, 6'0 175 WR/TB, Bridgewater Raynham H.S.
Ivan Shuran, K/P, Benedictine (Cleveland)
Ryan Carney, 6'2 235 LB/TE, BC High
William Stockwell, 6'2 205 S/LB, Catholic Memorial, West Roxbury, MA
Ben Pacquin, 6'1 189 S/LB, CBA Albany
Charles Willmott, 6'1 175 WR, Oregon Episcopal
Cameron Smith, 6'4 220 LB/TE, Ridgewood (NJ)
Mike Lukasevicz, 6'0 265 C/DT, Noble & Greenough

That's 13 guys ... a few of them are multisport recruits, so perhaps they won't "count" for football, but it does seem likely that by the end of early decision applications, Williams will be done with adding players. 

nescac1

Swarthmore just cancelled Spring 2021 varsity athletics.  Not a great sign ...

maineman

Quote from: bantamweight on October 09, 2020, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk196 on October 09, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
This online crap is a joke and I feel bad for people paying $70K+ for a glorified Univ. of Arizona remote degree
So elitist that U of Arizona is that far beneath you? Ranked a top 100 university with a 1B endowment.  :o
Probably meant Univ of Phoenix?

Hawk196

Quote from: bantamweight on October 09, 2020, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: Hawk196 on October 09, 2020, 10:03:58 AM
This online crap is a joke and I feel bad for people paying $70K+ for a glorified Univ. of Arizona remote degree
So elitist that U of Arizona is that far beneath you? Ranked a top 100 university with a 1B endowment.  :o

"So elitist of you".....don't pull that crap with me. I was mistaken, it was the Univ of Phoenix (same area) . I've put a great deal of effort and sacrifice to get my boys into Ivy/Nescac schools....so not wanting to spending $70K on online degrees is elitist than I guess that's OK, as long as they get good, high paying jobs. BTW, both of my boys thought last springs online classes were an absolute joke, one professor was surprised my boy did a 25+ page thesis...I guess they gave them "wuhan curve"....everyone gets an "A"

BigKat

Let's get back to football here. So most likely no spring sports in Nescac and as I said earlier, I think Fall '21 season is at real risk as well from what I hear from Ivy parent circles. Lets hope not

nescac1

OK, I've been a pessimist from the outset about COVID-related restriction, but fall 2021 at risk?  That sounds like a huge stretch to me.  We have a full year from now to develop and distribute vaccines, better understand the disease, develop ever-better therapeutics and measures to arrest the spread of the disease.  It's not going to go away entirely, certainly.  But it seems likely that, with the massive amount of scientific attention being paid right now, one year from now this will be more akin to a normal flu strand in terms of the ultimate danger posed.  And when that is the case, life should return, basically, to normal.

Hawk196

Quote from: BigKat on October 14, 2020, 01:51:29 PM
Let's get back to football here. So most likely no spring sports in Nescac and as I said earlier, I think Fall '21 season is at real risk as well from what I hear from Ivy parent circles. Lets hope not

http://biggreenalertblog.blogspot.com/2020/10/buddy-teevens-answers-your-questions.html

Q $ A with Buddy Teevans(Darthmouth's HC)

Trin9-0

COVID cumulative total positivity rates at NESCAC schools (data taken from schools' respective public dashboards):

0.01% - Bates, Hamilton
0.02% - Amherst, Bowdoin, Colby, Middlebury, Wesleyan, Williams
0.04% - Tufts
0.10% - Connecticut College
0.27% - Trinity

With an average of 0.05% cumulative positivity among students and employees everyone affiliated with this league should be very proud of the effort put forth. You can argue that the NESCAC was as well positioned as any group of colleges in the nation to deal with the pandemic when you consider the relatively small size of the schools, the available resources to spend on testing, social distancing measures, etc, and that fact that most of the schools are in relatively remote areas that have been doing well combating the spread in relation to other parts of the country. Even with these advantages a tremendous amount of planning and policy adherence is necessary to produce these results. Trinity has had the lone outbreak and even with that they've outperformed most colleges/universities in the country to date.

Well done NESCAC!
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

amh63

Interesting post Trin8-0.  Will add my 2-cents worth on the topic. Today's WSJ has an article wrt NE schools testing in general and Williams in particular.  Williams is interesting in that it has adequate housing for full enrollment and is relatively isolated in the Purple Mountains.  Article cites some of the costs wrt testing...and therefore opening up.  With rapid testing emerging as well as vaccines emerging, there is always the question of people NOT wanting to take vaccines whenever they are available....like people today Not taking flu shots for non medical reasons.  For the selfish reason for watching sporting events live I hope everyone takes a preventive "cure".   My younger son just got his Amherst 25-reunion book in the mail...Class of 1995.  There was no reunion held on campus.  My class is planning to hold class events online.  Virtual Homecomming??

jumpshot

Glad to see amH63's decades-long obsession with Williams is alive and well ....

JEFFFAN

And equally great to see JUMPSHOT's lifelong obsession with Amherst continuing unabated despite COVID!!