MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on September 23, 2018, 05:11:38 PM
With Benedictine reversing its field and returning to D3, it looks like the annual Battle of Maple Ave between BU and NCC will continue, as well as BU being a frequent opponent of several other CCIW teams!  :o  8-)

Why would a North Central fan call it the Battle of Maple Avenue? Seems to me that that's what a Benedictine fan would call it. Why don't you call it the Battle of East Chicago Avenue instead?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

It is interesting, when you look at the map, it appears that both are on Chicago Avenue.  If you trust the map...

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 24, 2018, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: AndOne on September 23, 2018, 05:11:38 PM
With Benedictine reversing its field and returning to D3, it looks like the annual Battle of Maple Ave between BU and NCC will continue, as well as BU being a frequent opponent of several other CCIW teams!  :o  8-)

Why would a North Central fan call it the Battle of Maple Avenue? Seems to me that that's what a Benedictine fan would call it. Why don't you call it the Battle of East Chicago Avenue instead?

Quote from: WUPHF on September 24, 2018, 02:07:18 PM
It is interesting, when you look at the map, it appears that both are on Chicago Avenue.  If you trust the map...

Don't trust the map. Neither NCC nor BU are technically on Chicago Ave.
And the fact that Chicago Ave. and Maple Ave. are the same street only makes things more confusing.

Chicago Ave ends in downtown Naperville. If you go east on Chicago, it turns into Maple at the Naperville-Lisle border. However, the BU Admin Building which is used as  BU's official address is at 5700 College. One side of the BU gym (Rice Center) is on Maple. NCC's Old Main and official mailing address is 30 N. Brainard. Some of the NCC campus is on Chicago, but the NCC gym (Merner) is on S. Brainard, a block south of Chicago.

Technically, the game that the school's basketball teams play every year is called The Battle of Chicago/Maple Ave. (again Chicago-Maple being a major street in both Naperville and Lisle. The trophy the winner takes home for a year is the Bill Warden/Tony LaScala Trophy which is named after famous coaches at NCC and BU respectively.

Since I was referring to BU in the past Greg mentioned, I referred The Battle of Maple Ave. in deference to the school I was talking about as being the one returning to D3. Its 3.3 miles from Merner Fieldhouse to the Dan & Ada Rice Center. Hope that clears things up a bit.  ;D

WUPHF

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on September 24, 2018, 03:23:17 PMChicago Ave ends in downtown Naperville. If you go east on Chicago, it turns into Maple at the Naperville-Lisle border. However, the BU Admin Building which is used as  BU's official address is at 5700 College.

That's a completely different thoroughfare than the one in question, though. Look at WUPHF's Google map again. The street listed in BU's official address is College Road, a north-south street, not College Avenue, which runs east-west.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

Yes, the BU Administration Bldg. is at 5700 College Road. I left off the Road in my post because all area residents refer to it simply as "College." There is no need to include the word Road because there is no such street in Lisle as College Ave., and thus no need to differentiate between College Rd., and College Ave.  ;D

What is interesting about College Road is that if you drive on it north of Maple Ave., it changes from College Rd. to Yackley Ave.  8-)

Chicago-Maple. College-Yackley. The list goes on. City planners in the area are paid by how many street names they can fit within the city limits. 😏

Gregory Sager

Trust me, I fully understand the confusion. One of the major north-south streets in the region starts out in Wilmette as Crawford Avenue, turns into Pulaski Road once it hits the city limits, and remains Pulaski all the way down through the city to the south suburb of Robbins, where it turns into Crawford again. It then alternates between being called Pulaski and Crawford a few more times as it works its way down through the south suburbs before finally throwing everybody off the scent by becoming Governors Highway before it terminates in University Park. There's even a Crawford Avenue Shopping Center in Alsip that's on ... you guessed it, Pulaski Road.

4samuy

Augustana roster is up.  No surprises. Jerseys going to pretty much the same group as last year subtracting Sortillo and Dollmeyer and adding Jarret Tribble and Wofford.

HAMBO

The Millikin 2018/2019 basketball roster is now up on their website.  The 11 man freshman class looks very impressive especially Michael Akinwumi, Cord Brown, Leondre Clay, Calvin Fisher, Jake Hampton, Jack Marinko and Jordan Moats.  I would like to have the thoughts of other board contributors.  Thank you.

Gregory Sager

I see that Michael Beaty and Tyler Pygon didn't return to the team. Beaty's something of a loss, as he was a solid contributor at 10 ppg for the Big Blue last season. But I had heard an off-season rumor that MU was going to lose DaVante Harrell, and yet there he is on the roster ... so if I was a Big Blue fan I'd be pretty happy about this group of returnees, all things considered.

AndOne

Quote from: 4samuy on September 25, 2018, 10:34:33 AM
Augustana roster is up.  No surprises. Jerseys going to pretty much the same group as last year subtracting Sortillo and Dollmeyer and adding Jarret Tribble and Wofford.

I wish more teams would post their rosters at this early date, especially when those rosters include the names of the new freshmen and transfers. A possible reason why more don't might be that many teams, especially those with very large initial numbers, invariably see some kids quit either before formal practice even starts in mid Oct, or shortly thereafter.

What seems a bit odd is to see an early roster posted as Augie's is with numbers already assigned before practice even starts. Instead, it seems like a roster posted an an early date like this should just list the name and other pertinent info, sans the numbers. Right now, the kids are just scrimmaging in open gym format. When you can say "jerseys going to" before formal practice even begins, that strongly suggests this seasons varsity roster has been predetermined. I realize that based on past performance, you can make a pretty strong educated guess. However, already awarding numbers at such an early date sure seems to say "you don't have a chance at varsity" to the kids not assigned a number. Seems like that could be pretty disheartening to a highly recruited kid that could have gone to a number of schools. What if, once formal practice starts, a kid plays lights out, and clearly outplays someone already listed as being given a jersey? Is his effort and achievement for naught? Seems like you're telling the freshmen and returnees who weren't on the numbered roster last year, to just come out knowing you're not making the traveling team no matter how well you play in practice because the makeup of the varsity team has already been determined.
For instance, Dillion Durrett was possibly the best looking HS player I saw the entire 2015-2016 season. Nonetheless, given Augie's usual strength, it wasn't surprising to see him not become a member of last season's traveling squad. But what about his chances this year? Has he fallen on his face since arriving in Rock Island? Has he no chance to move up this year? The way the roster shapes up as posted in it's current format seems to say "no." Again, pretty disheartening.

Also kind of surprising that the highly recruited, and highly praised as being a future interior force, Jacob Schwerbrock doesn't at least even get a jersey. Of course when you're 6'8" and you go to Augie you're just one of a cast, seemingly of hundreds, of players 6'7" or taller. As such its easy for a young sapling to get lost in the forest of mature trees. 🌱 🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 25, 2018, 05:21:54 PM
I see that Michael Beaty and Tyler Pygon didn't return to the team. Beaty's something of a loss, as he was a solid contributor at 10 ppg for the Big Blue last season. But I had heard an off-season rumor that MU was going to lose DaVante Harrell, and yet there he is on the roster ... so if I was a Big Blue fan I'd be pretty happy about this group of returnees, all things considered.

Millikin still returns it's top three scorers plus massive Jordan "THE Student Body" Cunningham. It doesn't seem like it would be a very wise move to take this team too lightly. As the saying goes, "on any given night" it appears entirely possible that they could jump up and bite a favored team. Especially if the top returners remain consistent and they receive meaningful contributions from some of the newbies.

4samuy

You're absolutely correct Andone.  Probably should have worded it a little differently. Plenty of things can change, I guess I was just using it some what as a figure of speech, cause I hear a lot of players talking about fighting for a Jersey.  Yeah, you could probably take most, if not all teams in the CCIW and name probable 5-8 players that you would project in a rotation once the roster is posted, but until
Practice starts, you can only guess or give an opinion. Didn't mean to disparage anyone.😀

AndOne

I didn't take your language as being disparaging to any particular player, 4samuy. More of a natural reaction to the manner in which the roster is currently posted.
Rather, my sense is that Augie itself basically trivializes players opportunity when it lists a roster with a full complement of numbers already assigned instead of acknowledging some new player(s) might be able to gain a place on the roster through their hard work and subsequent achievement once formal practice begins.
Sure, most of the numbers are "gone" but there are a couple of guys, that evidently have already made the traveling team, who contributed little to last year's overall high level of team performance and would would seem vulnerable to losing their spot. 🤔