FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPU3619

I saw Hiram HC Randy Moore stepped down today.

So the Pups are starting over again.

ExTartanPlayer

Whatever the reason, that's too bad. I posted something here a few weeks ago that (understandably) got passed over because Wabash was still playing: Hiram won as many games the last two years as they won in something like the last ELEVEN seasons before that (I forget if it was exactly 11 but it was close to that).

Here's hoping that whoever they hire is able to continue the progress that was made over the last two seasons.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Bishopleftiesdad

I agree, I hate to see them take a step back, even though they beat OWU the last two years. Helps the conference out to have strong teams. I am curious to see who they hire.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 24, 2015, 08:50:09 PM
I don't want to steal any of the LG's thunder, but I noticed something tonight that I want to post before everyone leaves the boards for the offseason.

Hiram closed the season on a three-game win streak to finish 4-6. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but...

1) that was the first three-game winning streak Hiram has had since the inception of this website

2) that gave Hiram nine combined wins over the past two seasons. Again, not a big deal until you look back into the archives and realize that Hiram won a total of nine games in the TEN seasons before that (2004-2013).

On the heels of last year's 5-5, I had some hopes for Hiram and kind of wrote them off after starting this season 0-5 (albeit with a front-loaded schedule). Kudos to the Terriers for keeping their noses to the grindstone and closing on a high note to cap the best two-year stretch that program has had in a very long time.

The graduating seniors for Hiram have won more games in the last three seasons than any other class since the inception of the site. Next year's Hiram seniors have the chance to be the first group to leave without a single donut on the board, and with a good season, could have 15 or 16 career wins.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, coverage of Wabash's playoff run :)

Here was my post awhile back.

One last kudos to Coach Moore for taking a program that was on the mat for a very long time and getting them to middle-of-the-pack for two straight years.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Li'l Giant

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on December 18, 2015, 09:13:41 AM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 24, 2015, 08:50:09 PM
I don't want to steal any of the LG's thunder, but I noticed something tonight that I want to post before everyone leaves the boards for the offseason.

Hiram closed the season on a three-game win streak to finish 4-6. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but...

1) that was the first three-game winning streak Hiram has had since the inception of this website

2) that gave Hiram nine combined wins over the past two seasons. Again, not a big deal until you look back into the archives and realize that Hiram won a total of nine games in the TEN seasons before that (2004-2013).

On the heels of last year's 5-5, I had some hopes for Hiram and kind of wrote them off after starting this season 0-5 (albeit with a front-loaded schedule). Kudos to the Terriers for keeping their noses to the grindstone and closing on a high note to cap the best two-year stretch that program has had in a very long time.

The graduating seniors for Hiram have won more games in the last three seasons than any other class since the inception of the site. Next year's Hiram seniors have the chance to be the first group to leave without a single donut on the board, and with a good season, could have 15 or 16 career wins.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming, coverage of Wabash's playoff run :)

Here was my post awhile back.

One last kudos to Coach Moore for taking a program that was on the mat for a very long time and getting them to middle-of-the-pack for two straight years.

Hiram had SEVEN winless seasons between 1999 and 2012. And then 11 wins the last three years. What Coach Moore did for their program was nothing short of amazing.

I sincerely hope they can find someone to keep that program going in the right direction.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

formerd3db

Agree.  Coach Moore went into a tough situation and made some great positive strides to the program.  I've always believed that one of the major challenges to that is simply changing the overall attitude to one of an optimistic, positive, "no holds barred" type i.e. from a "losing attitude" to one of higher expectations.  This is evidenced at any of the college levels from DI to DIII and there are plenty of programs that we could name to serve as examples.

It appears from the press release that Coach Moore is stepping away from coaching i.e. a career change and has decided it is the right time.  He can be proud of the job he did at Hiram and placing the program at a great point to continue to go forward.  I do not know him personally, but remember when he was Defensive Coordinator at Hope College before going on to the Ohio college scene.  Anyway, I wish him and his family all the best in the next chapter of his life.  Always a somewhat melancholy feeling to some degree when one makes such as decision, yet on the other hand very exciting to move forward in whatever path the Good Lord has in mind for a person.  I agree with all of you that it would be great to see Hiram become a regular competitive program in the league.     
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on December 18, 2015, 09:11:25 AM
I agree, I hate to see them take a step back, even though they beat OWU the last two years. Helps the conference out to have strong teams. I am curious to see who they hire.

Do you not think that Coach Stanford, the now interim Head Coach, might have a chance at having the permanent job?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

HSCTiger fan

Does it really help the conference?  There sure seem to me to be quite a few really good teams in lousy conferences. Wabash, Linfield, Mt. Union all play in weak conferences. Granted Wabash has Witt and Mt. Union has John Carroll but the rest of the games on their schedules pretty much stink. When one team or two are dominant depth is developed, playing time is easier to promise to recruits and you have to "get up" for one or two games per year. It's simply a case of the rich get richer.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

BashDad

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on December 20, 2015, 01:12:50 AM

Does it really help the conference?  There sure seem to me to be quite a few really good teams in lousy conferences. Wabash, Linfield, Mt. Union all play in weak conferences. Granted Wabash has Witt and Mt. Union has John Carroll but the rest of the games on their schedules pretty much stink. When one team or two are dominant depth is developed, playing time is easier to promise to recruits and you have to "get up" for one or two games per year. It's simply a case of the rich get richer.

Huh? Does it help the conference to have good teams? Yes. Unequivocally.

bluestreak66

Quote from: wally_wabash on December 15, 2015, 10:06:39 PM
Quote from: Old Gold Tiger on December 15, 2015, 07:31:47 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on December 11, 2015, 03:07:39 PM
Wabash and DePauw bring back similar numbers and by all means should be playing Week 11 in C'ville for the league title.  If that doesn't happen, something went really wrong for one or both of those teams. 

I agree with the bullish outlook in Crawfordsville and for DePauw, but is there evidence to suggest Witt won't be a factor in the conference race?  My sense is they'll be hungry and motivated after a relatively disappointing season for that program.

Won't take us long to find out as Wabash and Witt will play in Springfield in Game 3 again next season.  Here's my take on Witt 2016:

- Jenkins, Stump, Culvahouse, Dehnke, Gary.  All gone.  That's basically all of Witt's skill positions that are in need of replacement.  Can Quinn Cook or Jake Kennedy step right in and do what Jenkins did in 2014 and to a lesser extent 2015?  Who knows.  They threw 14 passes between them in 2015, none likely to have come in high leverage situations.  One of these two guys is going to get two starts before they get to deal with Wabash's defense.  Good luck with that.   
- All told Witt loses 89% of their total offense from 2015.  That's a lot to replace.  71% of their rush yardage graduates, 60% of their receiving yards.  All but 80 of their pass yards.  It's not just the yardage here either that's the big deal, it's the reps.  There weren't a lot of reps to spread around to non-seniors on that offense in 2015. 
- They do return their entire offensive line, which will help a young and inexperienced offense.   
- I expect they will be a bit better on defense, although their most disruptive defensive player, Josh Bannick, won't be there to crush the middle of the DL. 

Witt will get Wabash and DePauw in Springfield in 2016, which is a bonus.  However, the timing of the Wabash game couldn't be worse (I expect Witt will be much better in the latter third of the season than they are in the first third).  But the bigger thing for me at the moment is that Witt is coming off of 2014 and 2015 seasons where they averaged and 3.1 and 3.8 ypc, respectively.   That's not conference championship level football.  That's pretty poor, frankly.  Until they get back to running with some semblance of effectiveness, I think they've been passed over by Wabash and DePauw.

Those yards per carry would suggest Witt might be headed for a down year. But they did win the conference in 2014 with 3.1 YPC, so who really knows? It could be conference championship quality. Sometimes, it takes a little skill and a whole lot of luck to win your conference. If Witt can find that next year, anything is possible!
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

wabco

I think it is best to have a good conference and also good food.  If perhaps Oberlin had more "authentic" food, they would be able to recruit better players and have better teams.  Amazing ...  Wabash has the same food service  ... and no one/groups are rising in feigned "it really matters" protest ... to be joined by every fringe crowd you can muster.  All I know is ... OBs ... eat before you get to C ville to play us.  Our food will not settle well in your fragile and very authentic stomachs.

bluestreak66

Quote from: wabco on December 21, 2015, 11:57:33 AM
I think it is best to have a good conference and also good food.  If perhaps Oberlin had more "authentic" food, they would be able to recruit better players and have better teams.  Amazing ...  Wabash has the same food service  ... and no one/groups are rising in feigned "it really matters" protest ... to be joined by every fringe crowd you can muster.  All I know is ... OBs ... eat before you get to C ville to play us.  Our food will not settle well in your fragile and very authentic stomachs.

lol!
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: BashDad on December 21, 2015, 01:45:44 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on December 20, 2015, 01:12:50 AM

Huh? Does it help the conference to have good teams? Yes. Unequivocally.

In a conference like the NCAC I don't see it. Wabash beats teams so badly their underclassmen play more, thus developing depth and retention. Are you seriously going to tell me that you and your players are as excited about playing 1 for their last 30 Alleghany or 8 for their last 30 Kenyon as they are Depauw or Wittenburg.  Injuries are not that big a deal if your next opponent is Alleghany, or Wooster, or Kenyon, or Oberlin.  Heck you guys could beat these teams with your second team.  If there were consistanly 4 really good teams in the NCAC where champion has 2 losses then the NCAC champion gets a worse seed in the tournament.  Instead the champion is generally 10-0 having played 7 to 8 bad teams and they get to play a favorable first round match-up. 

I think you guys have got it pretty good.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

jknezek

I think it helps the conference to have better teams. It makes for a more exciting season for all teams the more the conference is competitive top to bottom. I think it helps the champion come post-season to be a long-term dominant team. I do think there is a name recognition component that surfaces to some small degree in seeding. So the more you make the post-season, the more likely you are to get that slightly higher seed that gives you that slightly easier first round game, that gives you those post-season first round wins, that gives you a slightly better reputation the next year, and therefore gives you a slightly better seed again.

Does it matter for the top teams in the country? No. The MIAC champ can rotate but whoever it is in that year is going to be pretty darned good. The CCIW champ and E8 champ also to some degree. But for the mid-tier conferences, having a rotating champ makes it just slightly harder to get those winnable first round games, as opposed to say Franklin who seems to get home games about 1/2 the time they make the playoffs.

So I guess it all depends on what your definition is for better. Given the conference season is 11 weeks (yeah, I know OOC but you see what I'm saying), I'd rather those games be competitive and interesting. The post season is only half as long and really only 4-6 teams have legitimate aspirations to make the end in any year, I'd rather be entertained all fall than for one or two games before stumbling on a big boy in the playoffs.