MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenerd

Quote from: heythere on November 22, 2007, 12:34:43 PM
Quote from: hugenerd on November 21, 2007, 11:15:03 PM
It will also help that he has a few more guys around him this year, so the team should be a bit more successful.

MIT team is the basically the same as last year, they lost bracht 6'5 post who was the roy and there sr shooter but got back soumare a 6'7 post

False,

The second half of last season they had only 7 players due to injury/leave of absence.  That means they couldnt even practice 5 on 5.  They didnt have Gampel, Johnson, or Mroz for most or all of the 2nd half.  In addition to Soumare, who is a much better defender and rebounder than bracht and looks to have vastly improved his offensive game, they have those 3 guys back, plus a couple of other bigger guys and freshman.  One reason Bracht put up big numbes last year is due to the fact that he was the only post guy they had and played nearly 40 minutes every game.  He was backed up by Koryan, who i think is only about 6'0" (regadless of what the roster says).  They will miss the presence of a couple of guys who decided not to play this year, but there is no doubt that they are much deaper and much better.

So next time, before you make a comment without knowing what you are talking about, maybe you should do some more research other than looking at the heights of players on the roster.

hugenerd

Quote from: JustAFan on November 22, 2007, 12:15:57 AM
Host Lasell upset WPI last night 95-86 in a shootout. Lasell was led by its two guards, with Jamie Crawford leading the way with a whopping 43 points on an unconscious 15-18 from the field (5-7 on treys) while Dwayne Powell had 15 points and Jose Guitian had 14 rebounds.  Lasell was up by 2 at the half after both teams shot very well (52% by WPI and 47% by Lasell) but in the second half Lasell shot a lights-out 68% from the field (67% from three-land) while WPI went stone cold  and only shot 28% but still managed to keep it a 9 point game. WPI had 4 players in double figures. The Engineers have been winning so far based on their high octane offense but they're going to need to learn to play some defense against the better teams, starting this Sunday afternoon when they host Salem State.

Coleman stepped up big with 13 points on 10 shots and 4 rebounds.  I am ready to submit my POY vote right now.

Pat Coleman

People were willing to judge based on one weekend of games last year too. Thankfully the season is more like 25 games than three.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

Congratulations to Jimmy Bartollota for scoring his 1000th career point today.  He ended up with 22 points (1020 in his career),  6 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals and a block in 26 minutes of action.  MIT cruised to an 83-51 win and moves to 3-1 on the season.  Billy Johnson also had a big game with 21 points and Dou Soumare chipped in 11 points and 7 rebounds.

MIT next faces Gordon on Tuesday.

hugenerd

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 23, 2007, 06:55:28 PM
People were willing to judge based on one weekend of games last year too. Thankfully the season is more like 25 games than three.

No, last year they didnt have to judge based on one weekend.  Coleman averaged about that for the whole season (12 ppg and 6 rpg), yet he still was able to rake in all types of awards.  The game he had against Lasell would have been an average game for him last year.  My point is that if he can be a preseason all-american on 12 and 6 last year, then he is having just as "prolific" a year this season and there is no reason to think he shouldnt receive similar accolades this season.  I wasnt trying to offend you, Pat, just trying to make a point.  I'll drop the topic until the end of the season, because I feel there has been plenty said to this point.

Pat Coleman

People were judging our selection of Ryan Cain last year, however, hugenerd. Try to follow.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

JustAFan

WPI beat Salem State by 3 this afternoon 100-97in a game of runs.  Salem State had the ball down by one with 35 seconds to go but 6-9 WPI center Ryan Bourque blocked a Salem State drive to the hoop, WPI converted a couple of foul shots to go up by 3 with 7 seconds to go and Salem State's final shot was way off the mark.

Both teams showed a lot of resiliency in today's game that bodes well for the rest of the season.  Salem State ran out to a 15 point lead, 30-15, with 12 minutes to go in the first half, thanks to some great fast break basketball and some dumb WPI fouls as Salem State was finishing on the break. WPI regrouped after a timeout and stormed back to take the lead by 4 with 4 minutes left on the strength of some lights-out 3 point shooting from 6-4 sophomore Ben Parker. Salem State came back to tie the score at 53 at the half, and then jumped out by 6 to start the second half, only to see WPI come back and build its own 15 point lead with 12 minutes to go in the game. This time it was Salem State's turn to come back, and they did thanks to some great shooting from junior guard Stevie Celestin.  The last 5 minutes of the game were back and forth, with WPI senior Antoine Coleman really stepping up and making clutch basket after clutch basket.

This was my first chance to see both teams play and I expect to see both playing in the post-season.  Salem State is very athletic and quick, and they've got a bunch of kids who can create their own shot.  They love to press and run, as does WPI, but Salem State has the much better press--WPI presses to dictate tempo, while Salem State not only does it to push tempo but it also creates a lot of steals from its pressure. Ramon Cruz, Marquis Victor, Celestin, Alex Finn  and Nick Tokarski give Salem a strong and deep backcourt, and Rawleigh Preaster, Jeremy Taft and Dylan Holmes are strong up front.  Five of these kids are seniors, and their experience shows.

WPI is a fairly young team and comes at you in waves.  Coach Chris Bartley plays 11-12 kids, and rotates a fresh five every minute and  a half, sometimes every minute.  It's press and run and play man to man D for 90 seconds, and then take a break. He's got the depth to do this but it's difficult for his outside shooters to get into a rhythm when they're being yanked in and out, and the results are some streaky shooting from outside as well as some bouts of very sloppy play. Parker is a very impressive shooter and he has some good hops and hits the boards well.  He'd benefit offensively if he had more time on the court to get into the flow of the game. Same for Jim Marois and NY Izuchi, WPI's other two outside threats.  WPI has 2 freshmen in the rotation, 5-9 point guard Kyle Nadeau, who shows promise but is still getting used to the speed and intensity of the college game, and 6-2 forward Ben Etten, who is strong, athletic, plays with a lot of poise for a freshman and bangs inside with confidence.  To Coach Bartley's credit, he stuck with both of them today and let both play thru the inevitable freshmen mistakes. Salem State didn't wilt from the WPI pressure, but the tempo did cause them to begin to create some cheap fouls in the second half that got their big men in trouble and opened the door for WPI to take the lead.

WPI improves to 3-1 and Salem State drops to 2-1.  WPI is averaging over 90 points a game thru its first 4 games.

pridefan

I haven't seen WPI play yet this year, but I'm surprised that they've given up over 80 points in 3 of 4 games.  Postings refer to playing 11 or 12 guys and letting freshman get their PT - is this just early season lineup juggling or is defense going to be their issue this year?

They're putting up points but without defense ( especially against 3ball ) they'll get hurt eventually.

Pat Coleman

It's a product of the system they're playing, similar to what Grinnell and Emory and Henry run, though not a precise copy.

hugenerd

MIT beat previously unbeaten Gordon College tonight 66-44.  MIT held Gordon to 30% shooting and no one scored in double figures for GC. 

MIT was again led by Jimmy B., with 23 pts (8-12 FG, 4-5 3PFG), 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in 27 minutes.  Will Mroz had a nice game, with a season high 17 points, while Billy Johnson chipped in with 10 points and Dou Soumare added 15 rebounds and 5 blocks.  MIT improves to 4-1, while Gordon drops to 3-1.

clarkie

Does Will Mroz have a PhD yet? I played against him when I was at Clark...or does he have a brother?

hugenerd

He is a senior. I dont know when you played at Clark, but this is his 4th year at MIT.

hugenerd

WPI lost a close game at Elms tonight 85-80.  Elms led by 13 at the half, but WPI cut it to 1 point by the 10 minute mark. Unfortunately, Elms then went on a 10 run and led by double figures until a WPI run in the last two minutes made the final margin 5.

On a brighter note, Antoine Coleman finally got it going a bit, scoring over 14 points for the first time this season, with 23.  WPI's 4 other starters scored a combined 9 points.  Ben Etten and Jerome Kirkland added 19 and 15 points, respectively, off the bench.   

heythere

wpi has lost to lasell and elms already this year, thats not a good sign.

goldenpipes

Elms has made the NCAA's three years in a row - Ed Silva's team is vastly underrated because the play in the NAC - same goes for Lasell who made it to the NCAA's two years in a row before the three year run for Elms.

Lasell will be a top competitor in the GNAC....maybe it's time to stop underestimating these teams vs. the NEWMAC and others.

Emerson beat Babson last week - another win for GNAC vs. NEWMAC....some of the NEWMAC teams are down a bit but I think teams like Elms, Emerson, and Lasell have beaten or have played these teams close every season for 3-5 years.