MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Palmer

It was tough transitional year for me to watch MIAC hoops, but hope that I'll be able to check out a few more games next season.  Although the days of going to games 2-3 times week seems to be a thing of the past.

Best of luck to the Oles & Tommies as they venture forth into the tourney waters. Contrary to what those clad in purple might think, methinks this appears to be another year for the anti-Charles Dickens theme: "High hopes, low expectations."   :-* However, it would great for both teams to prove me wrong and rep their team colors deep into the tourney.

The Oles need Sterling Nielsen to start dominating again and the rest of those lanky wings/forwards get the defensive swag back in their stance. UST "9-lives" Tommies need to find their defensive calling card, and get a healthy Ryan Saarela back in the lineup, or it could be a quick exit from the dance.  Connor Nord can't be expected to hold it down defensively in the paint by himself.  Plus, perimeter defense where are you?  ;)

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on March 03, 2015, 01:08:59 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 03, 2015, 12:32:49 PM
Quote from: AO on March 03, 2015, 09:40:47 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 03, 2015, 08:55:20 AM
I don't think that's the case. I think you're ignoring the perfectly reasonable evidence people have provided here because you don't think it's important. But losing other games is important. The whole schedule counts, not just the last few games, not just the three games vs. St. Olaf.
Would it surprise you if it was the case?  You seemed awful confused when it was revealed on Sunday night.  Of course it's reasonable that the committee favored winning percentage over all other criteria, but that's not what I heard from Jeff.  I don't think it's the travesty of the century that Bethel didn't get in, but I think they had a better case than a lot of teams in recent memory.  Massey has them at #17.

I appreciate the BU apologetics, AO!  Bummed that they didn't get in, especially would've like to see Zimmerman get a chance to extend his season.  How do you like your Eagles matching up with UST?  UST is certainly beatable this year, IMO. (now watch them go on a deep playoff run....)

As I'm not versed on the how playoffs are set, had BU defeated UST and grabbed the auto-bid, would Olaf have gotten in, giving the MIAC 3 teams?  Or is the MIAC not well enough regarded to get that many entrants?
The only way Olaf wouldn't get in if BU won was if they were the last at-large bid which I don't think they were.  The MIAC was well regarded by the criteria (perceptions and the "eye test" don't matter) as they had very few non-conference losses (you can thank the UMAC).  One of the reasons the NESCAC gets 4 teams in while the MIAC only gets 2 is the number of conference games.  The NESCAC plays only 10 conference games allowing them to bump up their SOS by not beating up each other in the full double round robin that the MIAC plays.

True, while the opposite side of the coin is that the MIAC is extremely self-contained by D3 standards, since MIAC teams expend 80% of their regular-season schedule in conference games. I don't think that anybody but the ASC can match that.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 03, 2015, 11:37:27 AMMassey always loves the WIAC and MIAC. They're really good conferences but Massey's numbers seem to be inordinately high for this part of the country.

I think that Ken Massey puts a dab of Hamm's on the cloth he uses to clean his computer.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

GoldandBlueBU

So UST and UNW have to go all the way over to DePere to play each other?   ???

I get it that it's a tournament host site, but it just feels completely illogical...

MIACMIAC

Illogical to travel to DePere to play that game, yes. Also, just completely pointless to have Northwestern in the field. UMAC team in the tourney, really? Can't say I like the Tommies, but I can't wait to see them blowout Northwestern by 30+ and show that no UMAC team deserves to be in the tourney.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MIACMIAC on March 04, 2015, 10:13:33 PM
Illogical to travel to DePere to play that game, yes. Also, just completely pointless to have Northwestern in the field. UMAC team in the tourney, really? Can't say I like the Tommies, but I can't wait to see them blowout Northwestern by 30+ and show that no UMAC team deserves to be in the tourney.

Well, honestly, it's like any NCAA Tournament at any level. It has automatic bids. They have the right to play.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GoldandBlueBU

Yeah, I hear ya.  It bugs me more in football, however, where the UMAC really doesn't have a prayer, and they prevent far better teams from getting into the playoffs....at least there are more bids to go around in basketball, and it is easier for smaller schools to compete.

In 2011, UNW only lost by 10 to the eventual national champion Tommies.

nkwest

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 05, 2015, 10:26:58 AM
In 2011, UNW only lost by 10 to the eventual national champion Tommies.

Tremendous game/atmosphere for that first round match, one of the first that really injected some soul into New Shoe. Both student sections had the arena rockin'. UNW represented well.

Gregory Sager

Northwestern 71
St. Thomas 70

Porter Morrell hit a lunging trey at the buzzer to pull off the upset. Northwestern's first-ever tourney win, and, if I'm not mistaken, the UMAC's first-ever tourney win as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AO

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 08:03:34 PM
Northwestern 71
St. Thomas 70

Porter Morrell hit a lunging trey at the buzzer to pull off the upset. Northwestern's first-ever tourney win, and, if I'm not mistaken, the UMAC's first-ever tourney win as well.
I have no words

jimhoops1234

AO - don't think MIACMIAC will be back for awhile. Congrats.

LJ0608

Whoops.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AO on March 06, 2015, 08:16:24 PM
Northwestern 71
St. Thomas 70

I have no words

Another first! ;)

Congrats on that massive win by your Eagles, AO!

Quote from: LJ0608 on March 06, 2015, 08:20:07 PM

Whoops.

I think we have a winner for the worst smack-talk boomerang of 2015.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 06, 2015, 08:23:07 PM
Northwestern 71
St. Thomas 70

I have no words

Another first! ;)

Congrats on that massive win by your Eagles, AO!

Quote from: LJ0608 on March 06, 2015, 08:20:07 PM

Whoops.

I think we have a winner for the worst smack-talk boomerang of 2015.

Yes, big boomerang for sure.  Smacked the entire conference as not even worthy of a bid and then the UMAC Champ beats the MIACMIAC Champion. Maybe the biggest boomerang of the 2000's?

As far as the game itself, I can't claim personal knowledge at all of Northwestern. But in the Tournament Preview, Pat pointed out a couple positives about Northwestern that may have at least prepared us for this not being impossible.

Mr. Ypsi

Northwestern 71
St. Thomas 70

I have no words

On the 2015 Tournament board people were moaning about their destroyed pick 'ems entries.  I chimed in that even AO might not have had guts enough to pick Northwestern - was I right? ;)

SUMMIT!!!!!

i'm too stunned to think. i tip my hat to NW...they played a perfect game and didn't crack under pressure.

is it baseball season yet?
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb