FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

MUC57...thanks....read it earlier.  Will start the chat here in the Fall and/or elsewhere then ;). You have a rewarding Summer too!

polbear73

http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/fball/2017-18/releases/20180521dnxe03

Announcement of the additions to the Bowdoin staff. According to this, Michaeles will be quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator, not OC, for which Tim Viall is still listed.  Kyle MCallister will coach wide receivers, special teams. 

gridiron

Thx for the clarification on Coach Michaeles' new role.

PolarCat

Looks like Bates is a lock for a fifth straight CBB title.  I was worried that the Polar Bears might give them a run for their money next year, till the Michaeles announcement hit.

polbear73

Can't disagree, Polar Cat; this isn't the same as Dave Caputi resuming a coordinator role. By the way, congratulations to your daughter for her well deserved all Nescac and all region honors. Well deserved and a great career.

PolarCat

Thanks.  I'm glad she will be graduating in Brunswick and not at the Final Four, but I do wish they had beaten TCNJ and faced F&M.  It was one heck of a season, though.

Gotta tell you, it feels REALLY weird to no longer be the parent of a NESCAC athlete!  (Though the fact I have no more tuition checks to write is admittedly some consolation).  In all seriousness, good luck to the Polar Bears in the future.  I'm mostly just thrilled that Michaeles will be in Brunsick instead of Lewiston next year.   ;D

PBPOP20

Quote from: polbear73 on May 22, 2018, 06:44:04 PM
Can't disagree, Polar Cat; this isn't the same as Dave Caputi resuming a coordinator role. By the way, congratulations to your daughter for her well deserved all Nescac and all region honors. Well deserved and a great career.

Why is it different than Caputi?   I admittedly don't know much about Caputi other than he seemed to be complacent in his final years in Brunswick.   I happy Vial wil remain OC as there were some offensive flashes last year and with a few talented QBs, maturing O-Line and what appears another strong recruiting class (perhaps strongest yet) hope springs eternal in Brunswick.

polbear73

PBPOP20: Prior to becoming Head Coach at Bowdoin, Dave Caputi was a long time highly successful offensive coordinator and a key member of Dick Farley's staff at Williams (along with Defensive Coordinator Mike Whelan, who went on to do great things as Head Coach at Williams and Wesleyan).  Coach Michaeles had never achieved such level of success anywhere and it's highly unrealistic to expect him to achieve the level of accomplishment that Coach Caputi is reaching as Middlebury's OC.

PBPOP20

Ok, makes sense...  then, how do you explain this hire?   Seems a bit out of character for JB given the make up of his previously successful staffs...   Why bring him in?  What's the upside?  Sapp and Leotti leaving seems natural.. young guys looking for next opportunity that were hold overs from Caputi's regime.  Good coaches, looking to grow...  Adding Vaill last year after Blumenthal's departure was also a natural... played for JB at Endicott and had some success at MIT... aspiring young coach with upside.

Head scratcher... any insights out there?

polbear73

My only insight is a negative one; pure speculation and I'm hesitant to mention it. It seems to me like an expedient hire and almost a lazy one in that a veteran coach was available in-state and that he could be brought in on the cheap. That runs counter to all my optimistic feelings about the Bowdoin program, but I can't think of anything else that makes sense.

PolarCat

One of the things I'd ask is whether Michaeles has any college-age children.  I've been told (but cannot verify) that the children of NESCAC faculty, coaches and administrators can attend college anywhere in the NESCAC for 50% of the regular tuition.  There are lots of NESCAC coaches and administrators with kids in the 'CAC (Bowdoin's Dean Foster had a daughter at Amherst; all four of Middlebury OC Caputi's kids attended the NESCAC - two at Bowdoin, one at Midd, one at Colby, as did Midd's Head Coach Ritter's kids.  Again, I don't know the tuition discount to be a fact, but it certainly makes sense.

And given the cost of NESCAC tuition, if the Michaeles have college age kids, it may have made more economic sense for Coach Michaeles to take an AC job, rather than trying to find a HC job elsewhere.  Pure conjecture on my part, and not knowing the age of his kids, I may be 100% wrong.

One particular poster here has a vendetta against Michaeles, and has poisoned the well.  The Mule players and parents I've spoken with all like the guy, just not as a head coach.  True, he doesn't have the OC or playing resume that Caputi does (Dave was a heck of a Panther QB back in his day), but compared to some of the other budget-constrained AC hires I've seen in the CAC, he's certainly not a "bad" hire.  If nothing else, he has a lot of experience coaching against all the other CAC teams.  I wish him, and the Polar Bears, well.  The school and alumni have invested a lot in the program (Whittier Field renovations, etc.) and it's good for every school in the conference if that investment pays dividends.

PBPOP20

Maybe some connection with the McCrum, the Lafayette transfer?

ColbyFootball

Michaeles' kids are very little. Not even school age. College not an issue for many years.

lumbercat

Quote from: PBPOP20 on May 23, 2018, 12:45:38 PM
Maybe some connection with the McCrum, the Lafayette transfer?

No doubt. Michaeles will be working very closely with him. This kid has all the tools to be a truly dominant NESCAC QB. Looks he will turn a few QBs into DBs or WRs or clipboard holders. Bowdoin pretty deep at QB position prior to this.

Hamiltonian

question for the crowd.  why do the baseball rankings look much like the football rankings in terms of the perennial powerhouses and perennial basement-dwellers?