BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

NYBB

SUNY-Purchase looks to have their best season to date and they're playing a tough schedule. 

https://www.purchase.edu/Departments/PhysicalEducation/MensBaseball/schedule.aspx

Sleeper team out of the now slightly weaker Skyline

pavanyks

Will ithaca or cortland make it out of new york.

My opinion is that this will be rebuilding year for Cortland but expect Ithaca to play well in california and move to DIII championships for certain.

Ralph Turner

Welcome aboard,  pavannyks!

I will move this topic into the NY Region 2008 topic to draw more general discussion.

JQV

Quote from: pavanyks on February 09, 2008, 11:32:00 AM

My opinion is that this will be rebuilding year for Cortland but expect Ithaca to play well in california and move to DIII championships for certain.

+k for some new Bomber blood.

scuba16

Quote from: pavanyks on February 09, 2008, 11:32:00 AM

Remember this, Cortland State doesn't rebuild, they reload. Cortland is just as good this year as they were last year!
IC best chance to unseat cortland was last year, IC was a damn good team and lost 2 to the red dragons in the regional finals. IC graduated some glue guys like jeremy peters and will not be as good this year as they were last year.
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

Bob Maxwell

Ithaca does have some good pitching depth, so if it falls correctly for them they could be a big factor.  Talking about just these two teams, it may come down to who has the easier path, gets a break and the most fresh pitching availalbe come final time.  That is if they both get to that point...   ;D

As we saw last year, with the Keily/Dougher game... anything can happen early and then you have to have all the other things fall in place for you. 

JQV

Cliches and coachspeak aside, scuba hits on an irrefutable point.  IC's loss at the end of last year's regional tournament makes them the underdog in any future regional matchup until they prove otherwise. 

Bob Maxwell

While I am a SUNYAC fan... and will pull for whoever wins the conference bid. 

I still say that Ithaca will have something to say about who comes out of the NY regional.  Unless they have injuries to their pitching staff... they can send out Sottung, Wolf & Brown with Gardner from their bull pen.  Any team with Pitching depth is a threat in a DR tournament.

And I think that there are other teams who will also be in the mix... so lose a game to someone unexpected and it is a difficult task to get out of the regionals.

It will be fun to watch...

StarvinMarvin

I wouldn't count on Gardner being a bullpen savior just yet.  He didn't even throw in last year's regional.  Valesente chose to pitch Peters, who had a partially torn labrum I believe, when he had a healthy and fresh Gardner available in the championship game.  The poor kid warmed up about twenty times and never came into the game when there were several lefty/lefty matchups where he could have been effective but was still never used.  Not sure what the reservation is to use him but maybe this year will be different.

NYBB

it's sad but ya'all won't be seeing me until 2009.  Keep it hot for me though.  Hopefully global warming will make it so i won't have to play in less than 50 degree weather in 09!

pudge27

I think that one of the positive things that I've taken out of some of these posts are that there appears to be a lot more depth in the NY region than in years past.  It wasn't that long ago that the NY region was Ithaca, Cortland, RPI and then everyone else was pretty much fodder.  It's good to see schools like Fisher, Manhattanville, UR, Skidmore, Brockport et al getting talked about as having a legit shot to do some damage.  I think that for the time being, Cortland and IC are still the big favorites to come out of this region (or if they ship in a strong out of region team in May), but it seems like the 2nd tier teams are getting closer and are much more compettitive than in the past.  Do most of you agree or is this pre-season wishful thinking? 

NYBaseball

I agree second tier teams are getting closer....and i do feel the SUNYAC doesnt always get the respect it should. Cortland is by far the best team in the league.....but Id like to see team schools like Oneonta, Brockport, and Plattsburgh get more respect

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NYBaseball on February 16, 2008, 02:30:09 PM
I agree second tier teams are getting closer....and i do feel the SUNYAC doesnt always get the respect it should. Cortland is by far the best team in the league.....but Id like to see team schools like Oneonta, Brockport, and Plattsburgh get more respect
The SUNYAC can get more respect when they play their "spring training" games down south.

The inter-conference games are the way that we can judge relative strengths.  Jim Dixon has focused on "early season matches".  The front page usually includes the game story of bid "inter-conference" or "inter-regional" games.

Plattsburgh plays at the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational.

Brockport goes to Phoenix.

Oneonta goes to the Cocoa Expo in Cocoa Beach, FL.

Let me plug D3baseball.com.  Jim Dixon has done an excellent job of bringing his database and a decade of experience to this site for our enjoyment.

As D3 Baseball fans become more familiar with the 360 teams that are out there, then the respect will follow to the teams that have earned it.

BoomerIL

For the most part, the northern teams have faired pretty well in the World Series through the years.  I don't know if the SUNYAC should get more respect that any other conference.  Any and all teams that are playing north of Missouri/Kentucky/Virginia are doing very well.  That Texas-Tyler team scares me!!

I wonder how the rankings would look if all schools had to start on the same date?
"You observe alot by watching"  -  Yogi Berra

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BoomerIL on February 16, 2008, 08:24:47 PM
For the most part, the northern teams have faired pretty well in the World Series through the years.  I don't know if the SUNYAC should get more respect that any other conference.  Any and all teams that are playing north of Missouri/Kentucky/Virginia are doing very well.  That Texas-Tyler team scares me!!

I wonder how the rankings would look if all schools had to start on the same date?
The Southern teams get a chance to knock themselves off first.  The northern teams will "float up" until they hit their vulnerable spots/conference games.

By May 15th we ought to have a pretty good understanding.