2017 Playoffs

Started by Andy Jamison - Walla Walla Wildcat, October 31, 2017, 01:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MUC57

Bartman

Nice analysis, thanks. Having never played these guys, not sure what to expect. I'm sure the team knows a bit more, at least I hope. This Mount team has made most of us a little edgy at times. We'll keep the fingers crossed.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

MRMIKESMITH

Just a thought, with the "lopsided" 2nd round matchups from last week. If we had a true bracket, would the results been any different?

wally_wabash

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 28, 2017, 10:23:35 AM
Just a thought, with the "lopsided" 2nd round matchups from last week. If we had a true bracket, would the results been any different?

Honestly a lot of what we saw on Saturday is the manifestation of clearly defined strata in the division.  Mount Union and CWRU are just playing different levels of football with a different caliber of player.  Same for Del Val and Husson, UST and Berry, UMHB and Linfield.  The results in those games I don't think were big surprises.  The games with margins that I think were surprising were Wartburg/Trine and UWO/NCC.  Definitely looks today like people overreacted to Round 1 results with Wartburg/Trine and Trine was simply outclassed in the same way that the first group was.  And then I think we weren't sure that Oshkosh and North Central were living in different layers of the divisions, but they definitely are.  The North Central team capsule should have tipped everyone off to what happens when North Central runs into a team that can keep them off of the QB, and that's exactly what went down on Saturday.  The one game that I'm not sure we have clearly defined differences in is the Frostburg/WJ game, but really that's a product of Frostburg's lack of playoff history.  We really don't know where Frostburg fits in the various layers of D3 just yet.  Saturday will tell the tale there.  And then I know Brockport ran away and hid from Wesley, but I think both of those teams are closer than that score indicates.  Turnovers are rough. 

But, to the point- if you matched up 1 vs. 32, 2 vs. 31., etc. and played it out that way, would the 2nd round results be different?  I don't think so.  What's left in the final 8 are the top 4 teams in the D3Football.com Top 25, plus #7, #10, #15, and #17.  That's not real far off from what you would have expected.  The only thing I think you avoid is having teams like Linfield and St. John's play teams in or above their level for an extra round.  Regardless of how the pairings go, the cream always rises in this tournament. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 28, 2017, 10:46:07 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on November 28, 2017, 10:23:35 AM

Honestly a lot of what we saw on Saturday is the manifestation of clearly defined strata in the division.  Mount Union and CWRU are just playing different levels of football with a different caliber of player.  Same for Del Val and Husson, UST and Berry, UMHB and Linfield.  The results in those games I don't think were big surprises.  The games with margins that I think were surprising were Wartburg/Trine and UWO/NCC.  Definitely looks today like people overreacted to Round 1 results with Wartburg/Trine and Trine was simply outclassed in the same way that the first group was.  And then I think we weren't sure that Oshkosh and North Central were living in different layers of the divisions, but they definitely are.  The North Central team capsule should have tipped everyone off to what happens when North Central runs into a team that can keep them off of the QB, and that's exactly what went down on Saturday.  The one game that I'm not sure we have clearly defined differences in is the Frostburg/WJ game, but really that's a product of Frostburg's lack of playoff history.  We really don't know where Frostburg fits in the various layers of D3 just yet.  Saturday will tell the tale there.  And then I know Brockport ran away and hid from Wesley, but I think both of those teams are closer than that score indicates.  Turnovers are rough. 

But, to the point- if you matched up 1 vs. 32, 2 vs. 31., etc. and played it out that way, would the 2nd round results be different?  I don't think so.  What's left in the final 8 are the top 4 teams in the D3Football.com Top 25, plus #7, #10, #15, and #17.  That's not real far off from what you would have expected.  The only thing I think you avoid is having teams like Linfield and St. John's play teams in or above their level for an extra round.  Regardless of how the pairings go, the cream always rises in this tournament.
+1  for the analysis!

I think that Frostburg State fits nicely into a very competitive NJAC. I like the comment about (lack of) post-season experience. The South lost some strength when the ACFC schools moved to the NJAC, but the ACFC move strengthens the whole East Region.

We will see how good UMHB is this year as we get deeper into the playoffs. If UMHB is really at the next level, then it has finally occurred.  For so many years, they were always 1 play away from the level where we would see 3 or 4 Walnut and Bronzes in the trophy case.  I think that Linfield is at the top of the second tier.

Teamski

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 28, 2017, 11:40:57 AM
We will see how good UMHB is this year as we get deeper into the playoffs. If UMHB is really at the next level, then it has finally occurred.  For so many years, they were always 1 play away from the level where we would see 3 or 4 Walnut and Bronzes in the trophy case.  I think that Linfield is at the top of the second tier.

Yeah, I think UMHB will own St. Thomas tomorrow.  Easy.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Teamski

Quote from: Teamski on December 01, 2017, 11:05:35 AM
Yeah, I think UMHB will own St. Thomas tomorrow.  Easy.

-Ski

They didn't exactly own them, but the UMHB defense was pretty smothering.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Ralph Turner

As best as I can tell, the UMHB Brockport game is the first ever playoff game between a Texas team (including the very good Trinity teams from the turn of the century) and an East Region team. There are several games against Lycoming and Wesley when they were still South Region.

Ray Finkles

Ralph, UMHB beat Rowan and St. John Fisher in back-to-back games in the 2013 playoffs (Second Round and Quarterfinals). So this should be the third meeting between a Texas team and a true East Region program.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ray Finkles on December 02, 2017, 08:20:47 PM
Ralph, UMHB beat Rowan and St. John Fisher in back-to-back games in the 2013 playoffs (Second Round and Quarterfinals). So this should be the third meeting between a Texas team and a true East Region program.
Oh yes!  Thanks!  +1! :)

Ralph Turner

And in other news, 2 conference champions will not be invited to their biggest dance of the season...

but back to D3.

Great games coming up this Saturday!

wm4

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 03, 2017, 10:38:31 PM
And in other news, 2 conference champions will not be invited to their biggest dance of the season...

...because they were rightfully not deemed to be among the top 4 teams in the country.  The committee got it right.   

FCGrizzliesGrad

but back to D3.

I think you mean 7 conference champions ;)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jknezek

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on December 04, 2017, 11:07:04 AM

but back to D3.

I think you mean 7 conference champions ;)

Does anyone really think G5 schools stand a prayer of getting into the CFP? They don't. If it wouldn't hurt them so much financially they'd be better off declaring themselves a different division. You could have had an 8 team playoff and UCF wouldn't have gotten in. 12 or 16 teams and they are probably the only G5 school even in the running. It's just not a system that is going to reward a G5 school.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wm4 on December 04, 2017, 10:54:53 AM

...because they were rightfully not deemed to be among the top 4 teams in the country.  The committee got it right.
The Dodgers go 3 and 4 against the Astros and come in second!

Auburn goes 2-2 against the field and is sitting at home!

jamtod

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 04, 2017, 11:33:15 AM
Quote from: wm4 on December 04, 2017, 10:54:53 AM

The Dodgers go 3 and 4 against the Astros and come in second!

Auburn goes 2-2 against the field and is sitting at home!

The Astros only had a chance to win it because they didn't have to face the Twins, since the Twins lost 1 game against the Yankees and never had a chance to compete in the ALCS!

Just like Auburn also lost 1 game against LSU, a team not in the field, in addition to those other 2 losses.