MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: sludge on March 09, 2010, 09:09:13 PM
Quote from: Kenleen on March 09, 2010, 06:32:16 PM
...  I will cheer for Guilford against Wooster so if EMU gets past Whitworth  to face Guilford at least one ODAC team makes it back to Salem...
Admit it, you just want a chance to drop another 27 points on us.   ;)

Quote from: hasanova on March 09, 2010, 09:01:59 PM
EMU certainly handed it to Guilford on Feb. 10, but something just didn't look right with our team that night.
There goes hasanova with understated sophistication again.

I think Randolph-Macon will have its hands full big time this weekend also.
Hey, sludge ... not sure what to make of that game, but the Quakers just really looked lethargic that night.  Anyway, Scots are a formidable team!

deanslist

Hasa,

I'm sure you were at the EMU-Guilford game back in Feb. I watched the live internet stream and thought EMU matches up with Guilford pretty well on the defensive end, except for Sanborn. But who can match up with Sanborn anyways. There are nights when a team just doesn't have "it" for whatever reason and that might have been the case for Guilford. In addition,  EMU's style of play and athletic team can make a team look lethargic.  Anyways, that is in the past and the Sweet 16 game against Whitworth is what matters. Go Royals!

hasanova

Quote from: deanslist on March 10, 2010, 11:31:33 AM
Hasa,

I'm sure you were at the EMU-Guilford game back in Feb. I watched the live internet stream and thought EMU matches up with Guilford pretty well on the defensive end, except for Sanborn. But who can match up with Sanborn anyways. There are nights when a team just doesn't have "it" for whatever reason and that might have been the case for Guilford. In addition,  EMU's style of play and athletic team can make a team look lethargic.  Anyways, that is in the past and the Sweet 16 game against Whitworth is what matters. Go Royals!
Hey, deanslist.  I was, indeed, at that game and it was a true downer for GC fans!  I want to be perfectly clear, EMU earned that win and thoroughly kicked GC's butt, but something just didn't look right that night.  I'm not sure if GC was overconfident (15-game win streak coming in), ill (I heard some flu rumors) or just had a bad night (evident), but they didn't resemble the team I've seen play about 16 other times.  EMU is quick and they're good shooters and, despite Sanborn's size, have a good inside presence.  As you said, sometimes a team just matches up well.  I think EMU's a fine team!

At any rate, EMU has Whitworth and GC has College of Wooster.  First things first!

2RMCFans

Well, there's no info on any type of bus going from Ashland/Richmond to St. Mary's for the game against DeSales on Friday.  Maybe b/c we only got 200 tickets and they sold out to people who are prepared to get there one way or another?  Hoping lots of people are there to cheer the Jackets on!

Wishing Guilford and EMU much success this weekend and just for sludge... R-MC has had its "hands full" all season... they might be getting used to it by now?  We sure hope so!

GO JACKETS!!! 

bjgiants6

Do you think the game will be sold out up there?

hoopstermom

Quote from: bjgiants6 on March 10, 2010, 06:10:01 PM
Do you think the game will be sold out up there?

Seriously, I don't want to drive up there and find out I can't even get in. 

FanJacket

R-MC to Offer Fan Bus for Friday's Game at St. Mary's
ASHLAND, VA – Randolph-Macon has announced that it will be offering a fan bus to Friday's NCAA Sweet 16 game at St. Mary's of Maryland to watch the Yellow Jackets take on DeSales.

The bus will depart Friday at 3:15 p.m. from Crenshaw Gym.  Tickets to the game and space on the bus is limited and those interested need to sign up at the R-MC Main Athletics Office as soon as possible. 

For questions regarding the bus,  contact Athletics Department Coordinator Myisha Trice at 752-7320.

pbrooks3

My sense is neither Henson or Bonner had stellar nights in Guilford's home loss to EMU. If at least one of these two guys is clicking along with Sanborn doing his customary low post work on offense, I like the  Quakers' chances most nights. Some decent combination of in and out play is critical for Guilford from here on out.
🏀🏀🏀

hasanova

Speaking of bus trips, I saw on EMU's site that you can get a $30 round-trip bus fare to Guilford (does not cover the $7 cost of the game), but they're going to make you head back as soon as the EMU game is over!  To me, not a very good deal when you consider that the cost of admission covers both games and Guilford versus CofW should be a great game also.  It's OK, I guess, if you're only interested in EMU and/or don't have another way to get there, but I personally wouldn't do it.

hasanova

Quote from: pbrooks3 on March 10, 2010, 09:26:09 PM
My sense is neither Henson or Bonner had stellar nights in Guilford's home loss to EMU. If at least one of these two guys is clicking along with Sanborn doing his customary low post work on offense, I like the  Quakers' chances most nights. Some decent combination of in and out play is critical for Guilford from here on out.
It's pretty safe to say almost no one had a good night for Guilford on Feb. 10.  :(

royalrooter

Hasanova,
It was a pleasure meeting you at Salem during the ODAC tourney. I finally, got myself registered with a new user name now that I'm in the basketball world. I'm an EMU alum and employee of over 20 years and I can tell you this is the most excitement we've seen on campus in 35 years.

I was first introduced to D3football.com about 1998 when my son was playing football at BC. After he graduated I changed my username to xbcdad and haven't been very active on the boards but have continued to lurk and finally decided to get back on board now that the Royals are making a run.

I made a room reservation last Sunday evening and picked up tickets today so I'm excited about the trip. I understand EMU was alotted 400 tickets. After setting aside tickets for family and officials I understand there were only about 100 left this afternoon. I know the President and quite a few staff are returning early from spring break and plan to be in Greensboro for Friday's games. I'm guessing quite a few students will be stopping by as well. I note that the website lists Ragan-Brown capacity at 2500 so I hope that will allow for ticket sales at the door.

In any event I'm sure it will be a great weekend and I'll be on the look out for you.

hasanova

Hi, royalrooter.  It was great to meet you at the ODAC tournament as well.  Thanks so much for dropping by GC's hospitality parlor and saying hello!

I certainly understand the excitement at EMU - the Royals are a great team and this is a big deal!  The Quakers have been to this point before, of course, but it's still quite special.  Unfortunately, the campus went on spring break just hours before the start of last Friday's games and the campus won't reopen until Sunday, so the students (unless they're local) will miss all the games played in Ragan-Brown.  It does, however, make parking much easier and tickets more readily available.

Speaking of tickets, Ragan-Brown does list 2500 and I'd say that's about right.  Last weekend's games were 2100 and 2150 and this weekend might be even better.  I spoke to the ticket folks today and they said sales were brisk.  We're expecting a great contingent from EMU, a fair crowd from CoW and probably not so many from Whitworth (Spokane is a long way!).  I'm guessing Guilford will have 1500-1600 fans, so .... perhaps close to a full house.

Can't wait!

I'll send you my cell via PM, so text me if you're in the house or need directions.  Travel safely!

royalrooter

Hasasnova,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I wonder if you could offer some tips regarding parking. From the campus map it didn't appear that there was much parking around RB field house. In previous visits for Ftbl I ususally ended up near the baseball field. I did see large lots out along New Garden rd. but it looked like a pretty good hike from there.

hasanova

The local Fox affliate interviewed and filmed GC's Rhett Bonner about FT shooting ... Rhett's a good guy and, man, is he a good shooter:

http://www.guilford.edu/athletics/mbball/

hasanova

Quote from: royalrooter on March 10, 2010, 11:24:59 PM
Hasasnova,
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I wonder if you could offer some tips regarding parking. From the campus map it didn't appear that there was much parking around RB field house. In previous visits for Ftbl I ususally ended up near the baseball field. I did see large lots out along New Garden rd. but it looked like a pretty good hike from there.
You're welcome - Guilford's excited to have a great field on campus this weekend.  

With students out of town, parking will be much easier, but it will be crowded with so many buses and fans.  The corridor along the baseball field and adjacent to English and Hege-Cox Halls will fill up first.  My second choice would be between the back of Dana Auditorium and the press box at the football field.  My third choice would be the parking lot on the north side of Milner Dorm.  After that, grab anything you can around Quadrangle Drive or in front of Dana Auditorium.  Finally, I'd try the three fairly large parking areas on the northwest side of the campus adjacent to the Frank Family Science Center or Binford Hall.

There is a church lot at New Garden Friends Meeting and another lot at the Friends Retirement Home (both across New Garden Road from the college), but they're a hike and crossing New Garden Road on foot during Friday afternoon rush hour is not very safe!

Hope this helps!