FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombers798891

Quote from: fisheralum91 on July 24, 2014, 08:45:01 AM
Great point cards,
I believe that Dr. Bain saw(sees) the value in athletics.

This.

At the end of the day, if anything at a college/university; an athletic department, an academic department, whatever, is going to succeed, the President has to see value in it. And not just lip service value, but the kind where it permeates to everything that entity needs for success.

Everything I've ever read about Bain indicates that he highly valued athletics, which was great for the college. Hopefully the new president feels the same way.

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

BomberJeff

Sorry I didn't log back in, I seem to be having issues getting the boards up for some reason.  I just wanted to reply to say thanks to those of you that replied to me.  I know it wasn't really a great conversation to bring up, and I appreciate the responses back.

amh63

AUPepBand...some random thoughts related to you and AU.  Was watching a feature about a Northampton, Ma. Brass band made up older players on the Amherst website...and thought of you.  Checked in on the Empire 8 board and became aware that your football games start the first week of Sept.  Wow!  Does that mean that football practices start by mid August?
In the Nescac, we play only 8 games....and the first game starts in late Sept. , I believe, even when classes are early this year..starts on 2 of Sept.
Anyway, my thoughts wandered off to HFC Murray at Hamilton.  He now has seven assistant coaches.  The two former AU coaches you cited are now his offensive and defensive coordinators.  Instead of 100 plus players to coach, with fewer assistants, he now has around 70 players.  Limit in the conference is 75....and Hamilton had less than that last season.
What will Coach Murray do with his time?  Just kidding here.  He does have restrictions on when freshman can join the team, etc. and the start of formal practices....and meets the two top teams early in the season.
I am aware that you have "band" interest at AU and your AU team.  Hope you have a good season!

AUPepBand

Quote from: amh63 on July 25, 2014, 05:36:04 PM
AUPepBand...some random thoughts related to you and AU.  Was watching a feature about a Northampton, Ma. Brass band made up older players on the Amherst website...and thought of you.  Checked in on the Empire 8 board and became aware that your football games start the first week of Sept.  Wow!  Does that mean that football practices start by mid August?
In the Nescac, we play only 8 games....and the first game starts in late Sept. , I believe, even when classes are early this year..starts on 2 of Sept.
Anyway, my thoughts wandered off to HFC Murray at Hamilton.  He now has seven assistant coaches.  The two former AU coaches you cited are now his offensive and defensive coordinators.  Instead of 100 plus players to coach, with fewer assistants, he now has around 70 players.  Limit in the conference is 75....and Hamilton had less than that last season.
What will Coach Murray do with his time?  Just kidding here.  He does have restrictions on when freshman can join the team, etc. and the start of formal practices....and meets the two top teams early in the season.
I am aware that you have "band" interest at AU and your AU team.  Hope you have a good season!

Coach Rankl told Pep the football team arrives for preseason camp on August 13.
First day of classes at Alfred is Monday, August 25.

Your questions about Coach Murray are timely as Pep was asked just last night why he left Alfred.
It is Pep's understanding that Coach Murray has SIX full-time assistant coaches....at Alfred he had THREE.
Pep believes that one recent season here at Alfred, Murray had more than 200 in pre-season camp and he coached the linebackers.
Murray is a native of Scotia in the Capital Region and Clinton is significantly closer to "home" than Alfred.
Murray has three daughters. The two older daughters graduated from AU (free tuition) and his baby (June 2014 Alfred-Almond Central School grad) was recruited to play softball at Cornell in Ithaca.
Murray is looking at one last stint leading into his retirement with a program that has nowhere to go but up...and it will.
As for all that extra time (and he was always on the road recruiting for Alfred, which will not happen at Hamilton), he will be in a position to assist Mrs. Murray in dealing with the empty nest.  :)

Pep hopes to catch a game or two at Steuben Field.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

saxontad

Thanks for the update Pep.  I have nothing but respect for Coach Murray and what he accomplished at AU.  I wish him and Hamilton nothing but the best.  But I am excited about this upcoming season with this new coaching staff!!!

On Saxon Warriors!!!

D3MAFAN

Anyone know when the Empire 8 is going to release its preseason rankings?

AUPepBand

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on July 31, 2014, 09:18:40 AM
Anyone know when the Empire 8 is going to release its preseason rankings?

You're referring to the coaches' pre-season balloting on how they see the teams finishing in 2014?
Pep isn't sure when they do that, but think it might be after the preseason camps open....just a guess.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

BomberJeff

And congrats to the 3 Empire 8 players were named D3football.com Preseason All-Americans:

Sean Perish (SJF, First Team LB)
Kyle Hamby (Salisbury, First Team Punter)
Sam Carney (IC, Second Team Returner)

D3viewer

Did a quick summary of # of returning all conf players from 2013 all conf teams. For entertainment purposes..not a prediction of anything.

Team                         # of ret all conf players / conf award                                                      notable

Brockport                   10  (3 1st team)/ NJAC Offensive rookie of year               culled from 2013 all NJAC team (structured same as E8 team (1st 2nd and HM teams)
Buff St                         7  (3 1st team)                                                           Mike Doherty was named 1st team WR and 1st team AP..only counted him once
Alfred                          7   (1 1st team)/ Offensive Rookie of Year                      Calvin Bain was listed 3x...DB..AP  and ret. Only counted him once
Salisbury                     6   (2 1st team)
Utica                           6   (1 1st team)/ co offensive player of year
SJF                             5    (2 1st team)/ co offensive player of year                  counted Fenti even though listed as Sr...will be returning according to their preview
Ithaca                         4    (2 1st team)                                                         both 1 teamers were ST players..Ithaca specialty
Frostburg                    3
Hartwick                     2                                                                                also had a double dipper in Tanner Williams ..2nd team WR and HM AP..only counted once

fisheralum91

Thanks d3viewer...
Good info.
I hope that it has no bearing on how the season shakes out....
Bport will be good but I do NOT think that they will take the E8 right out of the gate.

Bombers798891

One of the things I really like about Brockport...2nd in sacks (34) and 1st in sacks allowed (7). And Brockport attempted 356 passes and their opponents 358. Controlling the line like that can really swing a game.

fisheralum91

They do add a very interesting element to the E8- Im glad Fisher has them on the schedule again.
Always good games!
That said...If Fisher comes out of the gate well...This could be a VERY interesting year!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Bombers798891 on August 04, 2014, 02:41:09 PM
One of the things I really like about Brockport...2nd in sacks (34) and 1st in sacks allowed (7). And Brockport attempted 356 passes and their opponents 358. Controlling the line like that can really swing a game.

Nature of the offense.

D3viewer

I agree with you fisheralum..do not think Brockport will win the conf this year. But I do believe they will have the talent year in and out to be  competitive. With their price point and new modern facilities and strong PE program they can't not be.

The irony of it all ( good stats Bombers and this speaks to your comment) is that their biggest question mark for this year and impediment to winning the conf will be their OL. You see..the group that was responsible for those gaudy sack stats are mostly gone. Only their LG returns and he has only started for one year..but the rest all graduated...RT and LT and RG were all 3 year starters and their center was a one year starter but was senior in the program. That is a ton to lose and to replace that production will be extremely difficult. Obviously none of the kids that will be starting this year were good enough to beat them out last season.