FB: Midwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grboob

Post this to the MWC because it makes sense

fulbakdad

Scottie,

I agree on the problems.  We fly out for all of the home games and a spot away game, but are held hostage for the away games on the web.  I haven't watched a Lake Forest game on the web, so I couldn't tell you the quality.  But for the others it's hit or miss.  Some are very well done. I've watched some of the eastern d3 games on the web trying to follow my sons teammates that are still playing and it's the same in these leagues (NESCAC, NEFC, Liberty League, etc.).  And I found the same situation there.  There are some extremely well done broadcasts (watch a home Ithica game), and some that look like and sound like a Spring Break good time.....

That being said, maybe we all should be vocal to our own schools.  Let me know what goes on with the LFC games.  Be happy to voice pleasure/displeasure up the chain.

And Scottie, of course the ball will be taking funny bounces.  You don't think we've heard the last of Roop, do you?

The last sighting of the green ball was on the field, did you see them soaring to new heights?

OMG I was just talking in tongues!

scottie

If you notice a dense fog on Saturdays this fall, it's just the Roop taking the lid off of the grill....
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

fulbakdad

I believe it will be foggy Scottie......

Ok, so anyone want a pre-pre Season team review?  I think its only right to start talking about your team even though nobody's even walked onto a field yet.  But they do start next week, sooooo here's what I think about Lake Forest this year:

The big question will be, is this a rebuilding year or not?

I ask that because LFC lost a TON of senior talent, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  When we came to the Forest 3 years ago, I was watching a bunch of Sophomores on the field that just seemed to be playing above their heads.  It looked to me then that the younger group was outplaying the older players on the field.  Watching them get even better the next two years was enjoyable.  So it would make sense that the vacuum created by those guys leaving would create the perfect storm for a hiccup year or two.  But I don't think that's going to happen.

Coach Cat's recruiting since we've arrived has brought some very good football players to the school.  Many of them would have been starting if they were a couple years ahead of their time.  Those guys, along with some very driven leadership from the now seniors could spell trouble for opposing teams.  This years Freshman class is also an indicator that the program is on the rise....

Offense:
They return almost the entire starting Offensive line.  So with a couple fill ins, this should be the base for a hopefully stronger performing unit.  Watch Pennell and Rindom, two big studs that move very well. 

The receiver corps will miss their big tight end Alanso and possession receiver Peters, but a couple younger guys who stepped up last year showed a lot of promise.  Vidas was very good deep along the sidelines.  Pasiewicz was a multi function back/running back who had flashes of brilliance.  And McIntyre was a big play guy with a lot of speed.  Last year the problem seemed to be just getting the ball to these guys.

Charlie Quinn showed promise at running back last year, but without the Qb taking the ball a couple times a game, the linebackers were able to just key on him, forget the option, and smother him.  If this years Qb can offer some attempts, he should have a good year.  The big question seems to be Valdivia.  He sat out the year from an early injury.  But his Freshman year he showed big promise.  Much of the '12 highlight film is him on extended runs with defenses unable to take him down without bringing a gang. 

Qb is the Offense's big question mark.  There's a transfer who I've heard is looking very good.  Last year Prestly ran the Wildcat with success.  Not sure if he's an every down qb though.  There was also a Freshman who also looked good in practices and scrimmages.  Hopefully someone breaks the bubble and takes the lead.

On Defense:

The Defensive line should be solid.  Samual and Sands have shown some good stuff.  But I think at least one or two of last years freshman (maybe Nusbaumer) might rise out of the pack.

Linebackers took the biggest hit.  3 out of 4 of the Wrecking Crew are gone.  But MLB Preston (1st team MWC and Captain) returns.  Van Meter would have started at almost any other school last year.  He fills the other inside spot bringing a nose for the ball and intensity.  One of the outsiders should be Julius returning on a 5th year medical red shirt.  We'll see who is the other.  There is some good balance there, they should be ok.

DB's should shine this year.  Although we lost a couple very good backs, This years has the potential to be explosive.  Joey Kropp (Captain) Leads a crew of ball hawks with Rantis, Clark and a couple incoming freshman who will be fighting for time.

Special Teams:
Punter/Kicker Gurchak booted some jaw droppers from both positions last year.

Incoming Freshman: I was able to watch the highlight films of many of the incoming players.  Awsome!  I can't wait to see them on the field at LFC.....

Over all?  I think much of this years success or lack of success will be determined on Qb play and how the defense reacts to growing pains.  If they get decent consistent play from the QB they should be a much better Offense than they were last year.  If on Defense they get some "young bucks" to step it up, they can also do well.  But those are two big questions that will have to be answered....

OK, who's next?

gbpuckfan

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

D3MAFAN

Quote from: gbpuckfan on August 13, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
IC & SNC picked to win in the coaches poll:

http://www.midwestconference.org/news/2014/8/13/FB_0813145545.aspx

Couldn't disagree with that. I south is stacked. I wonder if Monmouth will make some strides. Love the divisional setup and then Conference Championship.

gbpuckfan

and if the coaches are right, at least one of those two will have (at least) one loss heading into the title game, as the Green Knights host the Blueboys to open MWC play on Sept. 27
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

fulbakdad

Just left Lake Forest check in day.  Largest group of players ever for start of camp.  Over 40 more players this year than our first year here 3 years ago.  Looking forward to the start of things in a couple weeks...

grboob

Question always is   how many are really ready to contribute. Out of 40. Speed of game weight training etc
:o

fulbakdad

You are right Boob.  Guess we'll have to wait and see....

grboob

Fulback,

Will you get to the Monmouth vs L Forest game this fall? 

I can't make the Chicago trip/flight this fall, unfortunately.

IC, LF and Knox of course are always the  most fun every year for Scot fans.  use to include be Ripon at Ripon!!!!

That Ripon,  you never knew what would or could happen

But 2014 Monmouth  schedule is challenging with Hope at Monmouth and Central/Iowa at Pella .  These will be fun!

Does anyone know how they decide where the MWC championship is played (between divisions)?

St Norbert's vs IC ?  Any thoughts on who has the upper hand this year.  As stated earlier , it sets the tone for the MWC season.

fulbakdad

We go to all home games and are adding the first away game this year since it's the boys senior year.  So we will be at the Monmouth game.  The host is already chosen just not the teams.  Lol.  The South divisionis hosting all of the last games this year and the north next.  This will help in planning for teams sothey don't have to make last minute bus plans.....And my money is on IC by 3 touchdowns.

gbpuckfan

Interesting note: Macalster apparently won't be winning the title. Every other south team is listed as hosting championship weekend while Macalster is listed as hosting crossover weekend

gbpuckfan

Grboob - I think IC has an edge facing SNC that early in the season. Any time there's a new system and coach that adjustment will take more than a couple of games

fulbakdad

One of the reasons I predict a larger point spread...