Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Hobart(3-1) men  beat Ithaca(2-2) in a close one 89-86, with some great performances by a number of players on both sides. Hobart may have won the game, but Ithaca is a solid team and should be in the conference tournament at the end of the year. Skidmore(5-0) is still leading the pack with a 90-83 win over Union , while SLU(4-1) keeps pace with a 70-62 win over Vassar. The race is starting to take shape, but plenty games to go.
William Smith beat the Ithaca women in OT, for a nice doubleheader win at Bristol gym. Mia Morrison with 23 points and 21 rebounds.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

d3d3d3

Saturday
Hobart 89, Ithaca 86
Clarkson 89, Bard 85
RPI 80, RIT 67
Skidmore 90, Union 83
SLU 70, Vassar 62

Standings
Skidmore      5-0  7-3
SLU              4-1  7-5
Hobart          3-1  6-5
RPI               2-2  7-4
Bard             2-2  6-5
Ithaca           2-2  6-5
Clarkson        2-3  3-9
Union            1-3  4-5
Vassar           1-4  5-7
RIT                0-4  3-8

Maybe it's stating the obvious, but the LL isn't great this year. It'll be a very competitive regular season, a wild playoffs ... and one NCAA bid.

Bartman

Agree with your comments triple d3 with a -2 OOC for the LL. Although a great conference and playoff battle, then probably one and done in the NCAA.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

stlawus

It's bizarre how Hobart and Skidmore have regressed.   2 years ago they were the teams to beat and had a core group of players play together for 3 or 4 years.   Just shows how hard it is to play with a target on your back.   

Oline89

One big factor to Hobart's mediocre showing is the loss of last year's Rookie of the Year, Dan Masino.  He has been out since the 4th game of the year, not sure of his injury or status, but that is  a huge loss.  Captain Jamal Lucas was also out for the entire month of December, but came back this weekend with 16 and 24 point games, future may be getting brighter for the Statesmen!

Bartman

In addition to Oline's injury report, they lost Matt Walsh for the season to injury and he was the fifth leading scorer and a strong rebounder at 6-5". In addition ,the top four scorers did not miss a game last year....so with Massino out on crutches (not sure of return), Jamal out in the beginning and Matt Walsh out for the year, we lost three of the top 5 scorers for much of 2018. The team is pretty deep, so I expect them to step up since they have all seen more playing time, but there was quite a bit of adjustment earlier in the season. Skidmore still looks pretty strong at 5-0, so don't see much fall off there. 
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Ice Bear

Skidmore plays Yale tonight on ESPN 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 or something. Best of luck to the Thoroughbreds on their venture into the ranks of D1 basketball.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

d3d3d3

Yale 88, Skidmore 59
Union 80, St. John Fisher 78 (on a 3 with 3 secs left)
Ithaca 78, RIT 61
RPI 83, Hobart 78

Bartman

Hobart loses another close one. Turnovers are their biggest problem. Now that Masino is out for the season with an ACL, we need to have the ball handling /concentration improve to have a chance to stay in the hunt. RPI is another team that has improved since last year. Although Skidmore was thumped by Yale last night, they looked good at times . Skidmore had all of their top 5 scorers back and added Skoric, a 6-10" 225 pound Freshman that is now their 3rd highest scorer while only averaging 18 mpg, they will remain the favorite this season. Hopefully Hobart will make the tournament and figure things out by then. Lots of games to play.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

d3d3d3

Friday scores
SLU 72, Ithaca 71 (Naclerio four-point play with two secs left)
RPI 71, Vassar 60
Hobart 76, Bard 68
Union 86, Clarkson 76
Skidmore 70, RIT 59

stlawus

Unbelievable win tonight by the Saints in Ithaca.  One of the best comebacks in recent history.  SLU got off to a hot start but the Bombers started to find their stroke and had a 10 point lead at halftime.  At one point in the 2nd half Ithaca was up 19 and looked to be coasting to an easy win.  SLU chipped away and got the game within 9.   Got some much needed stops but still had to foul and Ithaca started hitting free throws.  When the game was within 6 Ithaca missed a front end of a 1 and 1 and several more free throws which SLU took advantage of.   Down 3 with 2 seconds left Naclerio hit a clutch 3 while getting fouled.  Completed the 4 point play and SLU won by 1.   What a finish. 

Ice Bear

Quote from: d3d3d3 on January 08, 2019, 09:12:35 PM
Yale 88, Skidmore 59
Union 80, St. John Fisher 78 (on a 3 with 3 secs left)
Ithaca 78, RIT 61
RPI 83, Hobart 78

Dlip saw this, it was great. Fisher was feisty and wouldn't let Union get much separation throughout the game. After last night Union has 2 nice W's in a row. Hopefully they can build on this.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

d3d3d3

Saturday's scores
Hobart 64, Skidmore 52
Ithaca 71, Clarkson 58
Bard 68, RPI 54
Vassar 70, RIT 55
SLU 73, Union 65

Standings
SLU      6-1  9-5
Skid     6-1  8-5
Hobart  5-2 8-6
RPI       4-3 9-5
Ithaca   4-3 8-6
Bard     3-3  7-6
Union    2-4  6-6
Vassar   2-5  6-8
Clarkson 2-5 3-11
RIT        0-7  3-11

stlawus

Another great win for the Saints today against a good Union squad.   Great way to cap off a weekend road sweep.  This team has made some great strides.  We were picked to finish in the bottom rung of the LL and even Downs had pretty low expectations of the team.  Getting a lot of good production in the paint from Miner and Jefferey. 

Bartman

Great effort by Hobart tonight against the Thoroughbreds with a dominating second half performance( although Skidmore was pretty flat). Colin Dougherty played like league MVP with 28 points tonight. It looks like the top teams are Skidmore, SLU and Hobart, and the good news for Hobart is that they still have 2 games remaining with SLU and one left with Skidmore. Still lots af Bball to play as Union , Ithaca and RPI will have a lot to say...also credit to Bard with the win over the Engineers.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath