FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3MAFAN

Quote from: jknezek on May 19, 2013, 09:26:23 AM
Quote from: Shoreman on May 19, 2013, 04:28:24 AM
Centre's Gay signs

http://saa-sports.com/sports/fball/2012-13/releases/20130517pkso3o

Very impressive. Congratulations to Jordan and good luck. I'm glad he'll no longer be punting to the Generals. It was always a matter of where he was going to pin them back.

Agree that is very impressive of the young man, hope he continue to defy the odds and play on Sunday.

awadelewis

Work started on the field turf install on Sewanee's Harris-McGee Field.

Press release from sewaneetigers.com:
http://www.sewaneetigers.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20130627wjn94t

Shoreman

Hate to see the natural grass go. It was a great surface, although I'm sure it required a lot of money to keep up.

awadelewis

Agreed, does lose a bit of the charm when you play on turf.   But the time, effort, and cost required to keep a natural surface in shape can be prohibitive.  Even more so when Ath. Dept. is wanting to use the field for spring sports and summer camps.    Now to see if we can generate enough funding to replace the 1920's-era plumbing in the home grandstand...  ;D

Ron Boerger

So NAIA Div 2 for Lyon?  Interesting that they expect their student athlete population of 173 to grow by 100 men in two years  ... would think they would need to add some women's sports to balance that disparity.    Only 600 total students right now.

From a quick view at the school's profile, they might be an SAA candidate if the conference ends up needing a travel partner for Hendrix (and if the conference wants to add a school, AND if Lyon wanted to go D3).     Pretty small endowment for Lyon, though, and travel costs might be a bit much.

cush

I don't see lyon in the SAA but what's the deal with berea? are they going d3? i could see them get an SAA invite if they do go d3. If lyon wanted to go d3, the scac should invite them since the need football members. Ditto Ozarks from the article they are the only arkasnas school not to restart their football program from long ago. Thus, if they did start up a football program the SCAC could invite both lyon and ozarks and get close to an auto bid.

awadelewis

I'd say also that Lyon would be a better fit with the reconfigured SCAC than with the SAA schools given Lyon's demographics.   Does raise the question of why choose to add football but stay in NAIA D2 as opposed to NCAA D3?  Are there many football playing, non-scholarship schools in the NAIA,  esp. in the So. Central part of the country?

Hmmm... can't see what advantage Ozarks would gain from leaving the ASC if they ever add football.   Berea applied for D3 membership last year but I haven't seen any word in either direction about which way they've decided to go.   Do agreed they're a good fit for the SAA if they do go the D3 route.

awadelewis

Quote from: Shoreman on July 09, 2013, 09:09:08 PM
12 new football programs in 2013
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/9/4508424/2013-new-college-football-teams
Seeing how both Berry and Hendrix do in their opening games adds a little extra to the opening of the new season.  Going to be interesting to see how both programs come out with Berry opening on the road at Maryville and Hendix at home vs. Westminister.

Bishopleftiesdad

Question about Berea. Would any of the universities in the SCAC or the SAA have issues with their admissions policy for Financial aid?

http://www.berea.edu/admissions/financial-aid-scholarships/

QuoteAt Berea, we provide students with a remarkable educational opportunity. We award a 4-year, tuition scholarship to every admitted student. This scholarship works in conjunction with any other grants or scholarships students receive to completely cover the cost of tuition.

That sure could make recruiting easier.

Scots13

Quote from: awadelewis on July 10, 2013, 08:57:23 AM
Quote from: Shoreman on July 09, 2013, 09:09:08 PM
12 new football programs in 2013
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/9/4508424/2013-new-college-football-teams
Seeing how both Berry and Hendrix do in their opening games adds a little extra to the opening of the new season.  Going to be interesting to see how both programs come out with Berry opening on the road at Maryville and Hendix at home vs. Westminister.

The Maryville/Berry game is going to be played in Rome (at Shorter's field I believe).
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

awadelewis

Oops...  you are absolutely correct, that is a home game for Berry.   See what happens when you try to post after mixing one too many martinis.

Scots13

Quote from: awadelewis on July 10, 2013, 06:13:53 PM
Oops...  you are absolutely correct, that is a home game for Berry.   See what happens when you try to post after mixing one too many martinis.
I know what you mean exactly. A couple of stiff drinks and the first thing I want to do is post.
I heard Berry's campus is top notch and the new sports complex will be first class as well. 
Does anyone know what to expect from Berry and the staff?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

DGPugh

I think the game between Berry and Murrval will be at Barron Stadium. Several local high schools once (still possibly) play there, along with shorter and the NAIA national Championship game. It is just off one of the main drags through Rome, Ga.
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11