FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartman

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 14, 2018, 01:08:02 PM
Quote from: Bartman on September 14, 2018, 11:52:30 AM
Mach/Baron(Snoopy?),
     Nice picks, they are the same as mine, but the point spreads are different. I bet my total net point spread difference is closer than yours. Do you accept the challenge? It will spice up a less than exciting OCC weekend 8-)

Now for the wager..... ::)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

UfanBill

First a recap of the first two weeks. Union QB Will Bellamy has thrown for more yardage than any QB in team history over the first two games...370 vs Husson, 365 vs Coast Guard...and 6 touchdowns. He's found freshman sensation Andre Ross Jr. for 4 of them and don't forget LL 1st teamer, Sr. Griffin Beal who's caught the other 2. That's impressive What isn't impressive is Union's rushing numbers, 57 yds. vs Husson and 69 vs CG.
This week at Springfield looks to be a shootout. The best way to slow down the Pride's option offense is to keep them on the bench.  Union will have to run the ball more effectively to do that. In the Husson/ Springfied game last November, Husson beat the Pride with two long drives, 13 plays in 6:55 and 15/6:23 both resulted in John Smith TDs.  Union has no horse like Smith so it'll be tough. On the other side of the ball...Can the Dutchman defense contain the big plays and make Springfield drive the field...maybe cause a fumble or two? Historically Union D has success doing just that, but that was then, this is now.

I'll be heading over to Seussville on Saturday to see the "now" for myself. While in town I'll also go to the "Big E" (New England state fair).  I'll be looking for the U to get the W to make my day at the E an A !!!  ;D

"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Machiavelli

Quote from: Bartman on September 14, 2018, 03:54:43 PM
Mach/Baron(Snoopy?),
     Nice picks, they are the same as mine, but the point spreads are different. I bet my total net point spread difference is closer than yours. Do you accept the challenge? It will spice up a less than exciting OCC weekend 8-)

If I win, I'll drink 11 beers on Sunday. If you win, I'll drink 14.

unionpalooza

Last minute picks:

Union - 38
Springfield - 31

Union wins the turnover battle, which makes the difference in a shootout.

Ithaca -21
Alfred - 0

The Bomber D is stifling.

Hobart - 24
Shen - 21

We still have no clue how good Hobart is or isn't.

Utica - 16
RPI - 21

Turns out Utica is pretty good.  RPI is just a bit better.

Brockport - 63
SLU - 14

This game is over by the end of the first quarter; SLU squeezes out a few passing TDs in garbage time after BPort puts their second string water boys and a goat out in the secondary.

Alfred St - 24
Rochester - 17

The Bees hit rock bottom.

Bartman

Woah, Congrats to the Union fans....really kicked some Pride ass today. That was probably the best LL performance of the season so far. Not sure how good RPI is yet as they do what they had to do to win against a feisty Utica squad.. Nice win by Ithaca on the road against Alfred. Rochester wins!!!!! Disappointed with the Saints, I thought the defense was better, although Brockport offense was running on all cylinders. Hoping Hobart can pull out a win , as Bauserman is impressive in a matchup between 2 Hobart alum HC.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dlippiel

dlip expects Hobart to find their way sooner or later. Maybe it's going to be a more challenging year for the Pumpkinheads but dlip believes that it certainly won't last. Keep fighting Statesmen.

Oline89

Well, I was at the game, and here is my take.  The Hobart DC tried to reinvent defensive strategy in the first half.  We played with two down linemen, both DT's for the majority of the first half.  That was a disaster.  We had zero pressure in the QB, allowed Shenandoah to run power play off tackle at will and the result was 34 first half points.  By the second half we started playing our DE's and actually pressured the QB.  No sacks, one batted ball and plenty of pressures, resulting in rushed passes and making him leave the pocket.  Result was 14 second half points and zero in the 4th quarter!  The offense looked great, running game needs improvement (Harvey has to play at some point) and the OLINE is finally starting to gel.  LL will be a real battle this year!

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on September 16, 2018, 09:55:36 AM
Well, I was at the game, and here is my take.  The Hobart DC tried to reinvent defensive strategy in the first half.  We played with two down linemen, both DT's for the majority of the first half.  That was a disaster.  We had zero pressure in the QB, allowed Shenandoah to run power play off tackle at will and the result was 34 first half points.  By the second half we started playing our DE's and actually pressured the QB.  No sacks, one batted ball and plenty of pressures, resulting in rushed passes and making him leave the pocket.  Result was 14 second half points and zero in the 4th quarter!  The offense looked great, running game needs improvement (Harvey has to play at some point) and the OLINE is finally starting to gel.  LL will be a real battle this year!
Not his finest moment for the DC and if I were DeWall, I would have ended the 2 man line after one series. I hope it was a learning moment. The defense needs some serious improvement before some tough LL opponents. They have talent, but it will have to be an 11 man "no name" defense.... we need the  coaches and players to pull together  on Defense for the rest of the season.....Oline, I think the pass protection is stellar , so far, and I am impressed with Hofman's progress.....We need Harvey back for the big games while they improve on run blocking....I thought with DeWall back we would be a run first with a complementary passing game, but Hofman , Oline and WR corp seem to be too good to not take advantage...the scoreboard will be active in our games this year
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 15, 2018, 07:00:02 AM
Mach/Baron(Snoopy?),

Mach.....If you do the accounting, I think you will find that we both were pretty far off on the points(5-1 on the picks, but we really got the Union game wrong), although the Hobart game differential gave me the edge.....have fun with consuming your 14 beers , and enjoy the 12,13 and 14th...if you are still upright ;)
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Machiavelli

Quote from: Bartman on September 16, 2018, 10:27:34 AM
Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 15, 2018, 07:00:02 AM
Mach/Baron(Snoopy?),

Mach.....If you do the accounting, I think you will find that we both were pretty far off on the points(5-1 on the picks, but we really got the Union game wrong), although the Hobart game differential gave me the edge.....have fun with consuming your 14 beers , and enjoy the 12,13 and 14th...if you are still upright ;)

I just ran the numbers from a few different angles to ensure all options were accounted for. It was actually pretty tight be for the most part, but i'll concede the victory. I've already gotten a 2 beer head start so the next 12 should be a piece of cake. Here are the final numbers:

Wins/Losses:

Mach - 5-1
Bartman - 5-1
Tie

Point Spread Differential (Predicted vs. Actual):
Mach - 126
Bartman - 111
The big one here was the Union game(63 point diff for me and 49 for Bartman)
Winner: Bartman -15

Actual Score Differential (Predicted vs. Actual):
Mach - 160
Bartman - 157
(The big killers here were the losers score differentials for Springfield and Shen(Me: 31/You: 21) and (Me: 35/You: 24) and on the other end closing the gap was Brockport(Me: 9/You: 27)
Winner: Bartman -3

If you toss out the Union/Springfield game, I don't think it was too shabby for either of us. Springfield/Union made up of 39%(me) and 31%(you) of our points differential and 50%(me) and 44%(you) of our spread differentials. Without that game my average spread differential was 12.6 points, while yours was 12.4 points. A real nailbiter. Well done and congrats. I take my hand off to you.

Let's do it again next week. :-)

Machiavelli

One last thing before I spiral for the day...

I think i've already addressed the RPI game as best as I could in that i'm happy with 3-0 but i'm disappointed so far in how they've gotten to that point. But to address the Union/Springfield game:

I didn't see or listen to any of it, but I received some first hand insider knowledge from an old school very knowledgeable but always outspoken Union fan at the game who had a very large somewhat hated/somewhat respected former presence on the LLPP. 2 nuggets:

1. Springfield royally stinks. The crappy conference they now play in has made them soft and the majority of New England having 3 cracks at the playoffs is a joke. It's fair from a logistics standpoint, but they just can't compete.

2. Some crybaby Union fans will say this is Audino's final recruiting class showing everyone how wrong the Administration was to can him and they are really leaving it all out on the field for their former fearless leader. The common sense fans who make up about 11.2% of Union followers will see how much Union has improved since the change and appreciate the objective results.

I just think Springfield stinks, but that's just me.

unionpalooza

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 16, 2018, 12:13:27 PM
One last thing before I spiral for the day...

I think i've already addressed the RPI game as best as I could in that i'm happy with 3-0 but i'm disappointed so far in how they've gotten to that point. But to address the Union/Springfield game:

I didn't see or listen to any of it, but I received some first hand insider knowledge from an old school very knowledgeable but always outspoken Union fan at the game who had a very large somewhat hated/somewhat respected former presence on the LLPP. 2 nuggets:

1. Springfield royally stinks. The crappy conference they now play in has made them soft and the majority of New England having 3 cracks at the playoffs is a joke. It's fair from a logistics standpoint, but they just can't compete.

2. Some crybaby Union fans will say this is Audino's final recruiting class showing everyone how wrong the Administration was to can him and they are really leaving it all out on the field for their former fearless leader. The common sense fans who make up about 11.2% of Union followers will see how much Union has improved since the change and appreciate the objective results.

I just think Springfield stinks, but that's just me.

Yeah, definitely not 2.  Only 7 or 8 seniors are among the starting 22, and majority of impact players are younger.  And I think the seniors are playing their heart out for Bergman, who turned this thug around.

Machiavelli

Sooooo, you completely agree with me?

-Signed - Keyboard Tough Guy

P.S - if you're just mad because I'm not trying to be happy for Union or stroke the Hobart guys backs over a tough day, you're clearly just way 'nicer' than me.

Bartman

Quote from: Baron von Machiavelli'th, XIII on September 16, 2018, 03:17:31 PM
Sooooo, you completely agree with me?

-Signed - Keyboard Tough Guy

P.S - if you're just mad because I'm not trying to be happy for Union or stroke the Hobart guys backs over a tough day, you're clearly just way 'nicer' than me.
So Baron /Snoppy,
          If Springfield sucks so much, why did you pick them to hammer Union?...you were probably fooled like I was with Springfield's decisive win over Western New England. Now we know that Union manhandled Husson while Western New England eeked out a win against them. It is difficult to figure things out early in the season until you get some real info from the competition. Dlip loves  Union but has always been objective about their performance and complementary to others. Bartman wants all posters to get along, but the board needs some friskiness, as Bartman needs to be amused, so Bartman would like Baron/Snoppy engaged without pissing Dlip off......please figure it out ;D
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Machiavelli

Sorry dude, I'm gonna go ahead and be busy losing my bet to Bartman the rest of the afternoon while you sing kumbaya with everyone else. I'll address your severe snowflakedness tomorrow.