FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Word is that former HOB QB Tom Sydeski is now the likely starter at Wick. He and Reed could be a tough combo for opposing defenses. Tom has struggled with turnovers in his career, but has great size and arm strength. If he fixes the former, the Hawks may surprise some folks this season.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

AUPepBand

Quote from: ITH radio on June 29, 2017, 11:55:30 AM
Word is that former HOB QB Tom Sydeski is now the likely starter at Wick. He and Reed could be a tough combo for opposing defenses. Tom has struggled with turnovers in his career, but has great size and arm strength. If he fixes the former, the Hawks may surprise some folks this season.

Offensive output at Hartwick will NOT surprise anyone. They just love to fling the rock. I think the thing that will surprise some folks this season is if the Hawks play defense as well as they play offense.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

Bombers798891

Quote from: AUPepBand on June 29, 2017, 03:14:44 PM

Not if they allow 50 points a game again.

Look, Team Boltus will always be Team Boltus, and for that we will be grateful. But the defense has to at least put up the bare minimum of resistance. They can sort of hang in there if they allow high 30s low/40s. But last year was beyond bad. They have to fix the defense, big time.

HansenRatings

Quote from: Bombers798891 on June 29, 2017, 03:57:58 PM

Not if they allow 50 points a game again.

Look, Team Boltus will always be Team Boltus, and for that we will be grateful. But the defense has to at least put up the bare minimum of resistance. They can sort of hang in there if they allow high 30s low/40s. But last year was beyond bad. They have to fix the defense, big time.

Hartwick's projected offensive rating for 2017: 33rd-best in the country
Hartwick's projected defensive rating for 2017: 211th-best in the country

As we say in the Midwest - Oof-da

Hartwick was the 2nd-most unbalanced team in the country last year, behind only Occidental, who had a similar offensive rating, but a much worse defense.
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

D3viewer

Mr Hansen. Check out Montclair's stats if you want to see the opposite of Hartwick. 16th in total defense in the country and 230th in total offense. Out of 244 teams.

boobyhasgameyo

Quote from: D3viewer on June 29, 2017, 07:17:21 PM
Mr Hansen. Check out Montclair's stats if you want to see the opposite of Hartwick. 16th in total defense in the country and 230th in total offense. Out of 244 teams.

Perhaps we should experiment with combining Montclair's defense with Hartwick's offense.  Combine the names to Hartwick State or Montwick.  Something like that.  See how well they could fare on a national level? 

I'm down for it. 

D3viewer

And it's a bonus they both have a form of Hawks for a nickname.

Bartman

Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on July 03, 2017, 01:36:05 PM
Quote from: D3viewer on June 29, 2017, 07:17:21 PM

Perhaps we should experiment with combining Montclair's defense with Hartwick's offense.  Combine the names to Hartwick State or Montwick.  Something like that.  See how well they could fare on a national level? 

I'm down for it.
+k for imagination....however it sounds like someone REALLY needs the season to start ;)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Starting over Billy Pine? Tom had an unlucky start at Hobart, noticed he puts Stonewall as previous school on roster(one way to forget Hobart)....he is big and has all the physical tools..best of luck to Tom and Hartwick...sounds like he will need to throw about 50 TDs for a winning season
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

D3viewer

Speaking of waiting for the season and too much time (Tyne). Every time I see "Billy Pine" I immediately think of "Billy Tyne" from "The Perfect Storm" and Bugsy's poem about him.

"Billy Tyne (Pine) is no fine wine. He's lost his touch with our longline. Steamed here and there and all about. What's our tally? We struck out."

Eh...sounds like Hartwick a bit. I'm sure I've seen the movie way too many times.

ITH radio

Quote from: Bartman on July 04, 2017, 10:56:52 AM
Starting over Billy Pine? Tom had an unlucky start at Hobart, noticed he puts Stonewall as previous school on roster(one way to forget Hobart)....he is big and has all the physical tools..best of luck to Tom and Hartwick...sounds like he will need to throw about 50 TDs for a winning season

Pine was a SR last season, so unless he has an extra year of eligibility I am under the impression the job is Sydeski's.

Tom has the tools but he was turnover prone at Stonehill and Hobart. A couple of his mistakes really cost the Statesmen the IC game in 2015, but there were other factors in that game that did in Hobart as well.

Hoping Tom has a good season. He and Moore will be fun to watch. The defense will be the big question mark for the 'Wick.

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on July 05, 2017, 08:44:16 AM

Pine was a SR last season, so unless he has an extra year of eligibility I am under the impression the job is Sydeski's.

Tom has the tools but he was turnover prone at Stonehill and Hobart. A couple of his mistakes really cost the Statesmen the IC game in 2015, but there were other factors in that game that did in Hobart as well.

Hoping Tom has a good season. He and Moore will be fun to watch. The defense will be the big question mark for the 'Wick.
I thought Pine was a transfer from Utica(no game time at Utica) and had 1 more year left or maybe he just needs a real job..... or you are right and "Billy Pine just ran out of time". In any case , if it is Tom's job I wish him well....but he could get a sore arm from passing so much to stay in the game :P
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Bombers798891

Quote from: Bartman on July 05, 2017, 10:08:24 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 05, 2017, 08:44:16 AM

I thought Pine was a transfer from Utica(no game time at Utica) and had 1 more year left or maybe he just needs a real job..... or you are right and "Billy Pine just ran out of time". In any case , if it is Tom's job I wish him well....but he could get a sore arm from passing so much to stay in the game :P

I watched Pine in garbage time against IC in 2014 and thought he was better than Garcia...granted it was garbage time, but Hartwick's O-line was so bad, and Garcia just stood there getting pounded (which was nothing compared to the beating he took from the Bombers the next season) whereas Pine could move. Hartwick's style kind of means the gaudy numbers tend to be viewed like David Klingler's or whoever, (which isn't unfair necessarily) but I thought Pine was the better QB then. Hope he has another year

ITH radio

Will be curious to see if he does too.

BTW - will need to get Pep's input on who's up next since Johnson graduated and took a lot of the offensive stats with him. Hansen had some interesting data on how few starters the Saxons are bringing back which may be a cause for concern. Guessing they'll reload some, but hard to say until we see a few games.

Also congrats to Hartwick grad, Jason Boltus '09 on leading the Jax Sharks to a NAL title:

http://www.jaxsharks.com/news/?article_id=1268

#teamboltus

AUPepBand

Quote from: ITH radio on July 12, 2017, 02:00:51 PM
Will be curious to see if he does too.

BTW - will need to get Pep's input on who's up next since Johnson graduated and took a lot of the offensive stats with him. Hansen had some interesting data on how few starters the Saxons are bringing back which may be a cause for concern. Guessing they'll reload some, but hard to say until we see a few games.

Also congrats to Hartwick grad, Jason Boltus '09 on leading the Jax Sharks to a NAL title:

http://www.jaxsharks.com/news/?article_id=1268

#te amboltus

Assuming there won't be any freshmen coming in who are ready to start at this next level, Pep's take is that junior Bryce Morrison will likely get the starting nod. Morrison led the Randolph Cardinals to a state title during his senior year there but was slowed at AU right from the start by injury/illness. He was QB2 last year but didn't take many snaps. While probably not as agile as Johnson (don't know of anyone who IS), Pep is confident that Morrison, after two years in the program, can run the offense.

Pep is hoping, however, that Rankl is bringing in a few QBs that make it a competitive preseason camp. The offense will definitely have a new look this year in the form of new personnel. Pep was happy to learn that Maleke Fuentes has decided to return for his last season of eligibility. The Saxons missed him in the playoffs after he suffered a broken collar bone on a second half kickoff return in the Fisher game. But gone are Johnson, Bright, Buish, Frigon, Pagliei, Tierney, Murphy, Sylvester, and LaMarque....and on the defensive side, graduated are Andy Miller, Wingate, Hobbins, Brinkley and Branwell.

But hey, highlight of last year's season was Julio, after ten years, walking off the field from where he suffered his spinal injury. If we can start off the 2017 season with another miracle...there's just no telling how far this team can go.

On Saxon Warriors!
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!