MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenerd

Quote from: atnwriter on August 20, 2007, 08:38:56 PM
Hugenerd- does this mean we can officially squash the Bartolotta to Williams rumor that we'd heard previously?...would like to put a stamp on that as "NOT" if he's still at MIT.

He is definitely still at MIT.

interestedfan

Wow,

Not much activity here in the past few weeks!

I am still looking for any info on the incoming WPI freshmen and who they are actively recuiting now for next year.

Who is expected to step into the spot vaccated by Ryan Cain's graduation?

I hope to take in a few games this winter.  This coach has certainly turned them into a force to be reckoned with.

interestedfan

Hope I am not working in a vacuum here.

I did see on the recruiting thread here that a NH player named Ben Etten
is one of the incoming freshmen at WPI.  Is he expected to contribute much this season?

Any insight into any other frosh at WPI?

MeOak21

I saw Etten play a few times last year during his senior HS season and he definitely stuck out as a college level ball player with some serious upsides to his game.
He's pretty big at the guard spot and was easily the strongest kid on the floor. He handled the ball well and was capable of either going around his defender or bullying him down the court if he decided to slow down the pace. He seemed to be a capable outside shooter but mostly looked to go to the rim and finish strong or dish off. I'd say he's a really good acquisition although its a little hard to tell considering the leagues talent wasn't anything special. He seemed to be a good team player that could rightfully have been way more selfish on his team. He played hard D and got after it.

I don't know much about what WPI has coming back but I would think he'd get a good look at some minutes this year if you were looking to fill in some spots in the backcourt.

interestedfan

MeOak21,

Thanks for the info.  Do you know any other incoming freshmen for WPI.
or have any insight into players they are looking at for 2008-2009?

MeOak21

Honestly, no I don't. I was an assistant coach for a team that played against Etten's team last year. I am pretty far removed from NEWMAC bball otherwise. I typically only see WPI once a year if they scrimmage Keene State.

interestedfan

MeOak21,

I have been on the road with buisness the past couple of days, but I did get some more insight on Etten.  I was in Portsmouth and talking with a collegue about basketball.  He is one of those "in the know" kind of guys that attends as many games as he can (HS, AAU...etc).  He says it keeps him out of his wfie's hair at home.  Mine just keeps posting lists of things for me to do on the fridge!

Anyway, He said he saw Etten play a few times last year including the state tournament.  I guess he hit a 35 footer at the buzzer to put his team into the semi-finals.  My friend confirmed your input on his skills.  He thinks his outside game will improve in college where he should be able to concentrate more on it.  His HS team really didnt have much of an inside presence, so he worked alot down low as well as on the perimeter.  He said the kid was a very hard nosed player and should do well at WPI.

He also told me of another NH player he heard was being recruited by WPI, a 6'6" center/forward from a school called Saint Thomas.  His name is Matt Carr.  From what he told me this kid can be a force inside on both ends of the court.  My friend said he saw him play a few times last year and at a tournament at UNH this summer where he dominated inside against bigger schools.  According to my buddy, someone wearing a WPI shirt was there watching him and talking to his coach.

Have you seen this kid play or know anything of him?

MeOak21

I didn't get to see St. Thomas play last year but I heard they had a pretty good team. I don't know anything about the big kid but he does sound promising. Hope he pans out for you guys. I'm surprised I didn't recognize the name. If I hear anything new about WPI I'll be sure to inform you.

I wouldn't be surprised if WPI was coming up to Keene for a preseason scrimmage this year or vice versa so if that happens it will be in about a month or so. Practice/tryouts starts in a couple weeks!!

interestedfan

MEOak21,

Let me know if your going to WPI scrimmage up there.  If work settles down a bit, I may be able to come watch and say hi in person.  If not I will have to rely on your trained eye to give me feedback.

I have not heard any other news on WPI at all, but I have been focusing on the Sox and Pats the past couple of weeks. 

Surely there are others out here who can start to feed us all some info on the teams in the NEWMAC as the start of the season is just around the corner.

interestedfan

I have noticed WPI's schedule is up for this season, but nothing about scrimmages.  Does anyone here know of any WPI scrimmages?

I also noticed their roster has not been updated for this year.  Any insights as to the make up of the team ?

Come On Folks, Lets get some discussions going on

MeOak21

I know that the Keene State vs. WPI scrimmage will be held at WPI on a Saturday morning. I'm not sure if it will be this coming weekend or the next but it will be soon.

interestedfan

MeOak21,

When you find out for sure, please post it. 

If I rake up all the leaves, perhaps my wife will reward me and let me go watch.  I have been on the road a lot the past few weeks and her "Honey Get It Done" list is now two pages long.

If I miss it, I'm countiung on you for a full report!

nescac1

Someone posted on the NESCAC board that Will Lyons from Conn College transferred to WPI.  He was Conn's second leading scorer as a Sophomore. 

MeOak21

Interestedfan,
I just found out today that the Keene/WPI is actually going to be played this Friday afternoon and I'm not sure about the time. I imagine it will be around 6. Rake those leaves...

interestedfan

nescac1,

Thanks for the info !  Great to see there are others out there.

MeOak21,

I hope i may be able to pop in and see a few minutes of the scrimmage.  Traffic conditions will probably dictate if i have the time.  I have to be home early as we are  going out to eat dinner with our neighbors.

Take good notes!