FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmcozenlaw

Since the board has dried up after yet another DelVal sweep through the conference, I'm checking out at this point as well.

Congrats to my adopted Aggies on another undefeated romp through the MAC.

Who knows when this historic winning streak finally ends? Whenever it does though, I don't see it ever getting threatened.

Go DelVal!!

kate

Chilly and windy day for both Teams, but we sure hope that you prevail - GO DEL VAL - beat those Mules!!! >:(

thewaterboy

Alvernia hires Steve Azzanesi as Head Coach. Right guy in the right spot... Alvernia won a game today.

https://auwolves.com/news/2022/1/24/alvernia-names-steve-azzanesi-as-next-head-football-coach.aspx

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: thewaterboy on January 24, 2022, 10:21:02 PM
Alvernia hires Steve Azzanesi as Head Coach. Right guy in the right spot... Alvernia won a game today.

https://auwolves.com/news/2022/1/24/alvernia-names-steve-azzanesi-as-next-head-football-coach.aspx

They must have been playing Albright or FDU in that case:)

Gray Fox

I couple of months ago I did a random search on Wikipedia.  The Middle Atlantic Conference came up.
Fierce When Roused

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Gray Fox on January 31, 2022, 11:20:01 AM
I couple of months ago I did a random search on Wikipedia.  The Middle Atlantic Conference came up.

I did a random search of irrelevant NFL teams of the past quarter century. The Dallas Cowboys came up. :)

Pat Coleman

This is coming -- schools leaving the MAC for football for the Landmark, which would have enough for an automatic bid.
https://d3football.com/notables/2022/02/landmark-to-add-two-take-football-automatic-bid
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 09, 2022, 03:03:16 PM
This is coming -- schools leaving the MAC for football for the Landmark, which would have enough for an automatic bid.
https://d3football.com/notables/2022/02/landmark-to-add-two-take-football-automatic-bid

You would think Catholic would be licking their chops... I wonder if Wilkes will be willing to give up their traditional rivalries. My parents are Wilkes alums and Dad remembers games and wrestling matches against Del Val, Leb Val and Lycoming back in the early 70s. And that says nothing about Kings... which is literally steps away campus wise and a big rivalry.

Pulled this from the Centennial and moved it here where it actually makes sense....

MRMIKESMITH

What eventual impact will this have on the NJAC? Will Salisbury and possibly CNU move to a newly formed MAC Commonwealth Football Conference? Does the NJAC try to snag FDU to retain six members or try to get WEST CONN. How does Merchant Marine and Catholic affect the NEWMAC?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: FANOFD3 on February 10, 2022, 11:05:17 AM

What eventual impact will this have on the NJAC? Will Salisbury and possibly CNU move to a newly formed MAC Commonwealth Football Conference? Does the NJAC try to snag FDU to retain six members or try to get WEST CONN. How does Merchant Marine and Catholic affect the NEWMAC?

Merchant Marine isn't leaving the NEWMAC. Merchant Marine isn't a Landmark member any longer. The NEWMAC would still have six -- SUNY-Maritime is coming in to replace Maine Maritime.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 10, 2022, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: FANOFD3 on February 10, 2022, 11:05:17 AM

Merchant Marine isn't leaving the NEWMAC. Merchant Marine isn't a Landmark member any longer. The NEWMAC would still have six -- SUNY-Maritime is coming in to replace Maine Maritime.

Pat and especially Gordon Mann (given his MAC knowledge)............help me with this. Fast forward to the 2023 Football Season. The MAC is down Wilkes and Lycoming, but adds Eastern, so they are down 1 and will be sitting at 10 football playing schools.

Currently, each MAC team does NOT play two other MAC teams. If there is no other conference roulette in the near term, does it make more sense to (A) Play the other 9 MAC teams and have 1 OOC game or (B) Go hunting for 2 more teams (I can think of an NJAC or two who might jump quickly) and form two, 6 team divisions with a championship game or (C) Play 8 out of the 9 MAC teams and maintain the current 2 OOC games.

I'd imagine things need to move fairly quickly for all of the 2023 Fall sports, especially if the MAC is making outgoing calls (or more likely, taking incoming calls) as they need to decide what they'd like to do for scheduling at least for 2023..........my angle being oriented around football vs. soccer and field hockey.

Death, taxes, moronic politicians and conference roulette...............four of the certainties in our lives!! :)

G-manWU

Wow...talk about a seismic shift for Wilkes athletics!!!

I was taken completely by surprise by this move, but overall I think it's a good one for the Colonels, especially in football.

I'm delighted to see Moravian, Juniata, and Susquehanna return to the schedule. All three are familiar opponents that have a history of highly competitive matchups with Wilkes, as well as great campus settings and local amenities...I'm looking forward to the road trips already! The Colonels hosted Catholic for a scrimmage last spring, apparently as a preview of things to come. It will be good to have a conference opponent in a different market, making an overnight trip a feature of the schedule for players and fans.

The biggest drawback (by far) is not having King's as a conference opponent anymore. The Mayor's Cup game serves not just as a highlight of the season for players, but as a rallying point and source of pride for program alumni. I've often thought it as a great display of sportsmanship, with both teams assembling at midfield after the game, the Mayor of Wilkes-Barre presenting the winning team with the trophy, and an MVP from both teams being named. I'd hope that it continues as a non-conference game, preferably as the last game of the regular season (I wonder what Moravian and Muhlenberg will do with their rivalry as well.) Hopefully some of the other MAC teams (I'd particularly like to see Misericordia and Lebanon Valley) find their way onto the Colonels schedule as well.

bill

Fanof D3

There's no way FDU wants to be in the NJAC. Expensive private school competing with state schools...FDU will get pummeled in that conference in multiple sports on both sides...not that they are tearing up the MAC.

When I was working at FDU, we would have to explain this all the time!
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: bill on February 14, 2022, 12:49:15 PM
Fanof D3

There's no way FDU wants to be in the NJAC. Expensive private school competing with state schools...FDU will get pummeled in that conference in multiple sports on both sides...not that they are tearing up the MAC.

When I was working at FDU, we would have to explain this all the time!

NJAC would also have to vote to accept a private institution ... considering it is a state-only conference. It is likely they could vote that way, but it is a hurdle worth considering.

Per the comment earlier about CNU and Salisbury joining the MAC ... in a word: no.

I don't see a majority (or any) MAC schools wanting CNU and Salisbury in the conference. The size of the conference also doesn't necessitate it happening. Football only... MAYBE if they REALLY want to get to 12 and split into Commonwealth and Freedom, BUT it means putting two very good programs at the top and making it just as hard for those in the middle and below to try and succeed.

I just don't see the MAC having any interest.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.