FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 29, 2010, 12:16:05 AM
That last TD was not a long run, but "play of the year"material! 

Do I need to ask for video on this one?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Warhawk 96

Quote from: kubiack78 on November 29, 2010, 03:23:56 AM
Quote from: FormerCard on November 28, 2010, 10:13:55 PM
Quote from: footballfan413 on November 28, 2010, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 28, 2010, 09:17:13 PM
Looking forward to my first UWW game way from the Perk.....I'm going to bring my UWW flag down, and I wonder if NCC will let me bring it in the stadium with a 4-foot poll attached to it so I can wave it around.  ;D

For those that haven't been to Naperville, it's a really nice town of about 100,000...it's nothing like Whitewater. Being in the heart of the Chicago suburbs, there's tons of bars and restaurants in the area.
Sure isn't.  You will pay 3 times as much for your food and drink than you would in Whitewater.  ;)

There was no such thing as 25 cent draft night in Naperville during college.    >:(

I don't know if they still do it, but two bars in Whitewater used to have dime taps on Wed. nights.  from 8 to midnight

It's now a Tuesday night special and it used to be on Tuesdays and Fridays for a while. There's also a bar offering penny tappers on Tuesday nights and a 3 topping large pizza at 2 am. is still 10 bucks at Rosa's....Good times.
2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 NCAA Division 3 Champions.
2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 WIAC Champions.

footballfan413

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 28, 2010, 11:18:27 PM
Quote from: ILGator on November 28, 2010, 11:00:20 PM
Just curious, is there a connection of the cannon to the UW-W tradition and legacy or is it just a noisemaker for football games. Is there a tie-in with the cannon to UW-W history (such as some relation to nearby Fort Atkinson)?

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on November 27, 2010, 10:14:58 PM
Quote from: BoBo on November 27, 2010, 01:17:40 PM
Do you hear that...Cannon man has been banned from the hill by the NCAA...KABOOM!!

The NCAA official at the game was from Knox and he decided that the rule meant you couldn't use an artificial noisemaker that could be heard in the stadium as opposed to the rule interpretation that the noisemaker could not be inthe stadium which every other NCAA official for three years had said the rule meant.  

I wish I could say it's a part of a rich tradition at Whitewater, and how there's a long feel-good story relating to the cannon and whitewater, but unfortunately there isn't. A few years back there was some military appreciation day (or something like that) for a game, and during the game they fired a cannon whenever UWW scored. I guess people liked it so much they decided to use it every home game. The cannon is privately owned, and the university invites him to every game as a "noise maker".

The cannon is only used following a UWW TD or FG (NEVER when a play is in session)...it has never distracted either team during the game. I guess visiting teams get sick of hearing going off multiple times in a game. So rather than playing better defense to prevent the cannon from going off, they decided to complain to the NCAA.  ;D

So now we can only use it during the regular season..oh well, what are you going to do.  :-\
More than a few years back, I think, 17 years if I remember the announcement correctly.
   "Thanks to Mike the Cannon Guy who has been a part of Warhawk tradition for over 17 years."

First it's the seedings, now it is the Cannon Guy.  The NCAA and Co. seems determined to take our mojo away........
        Won't happen!  GO WARHAWKS!
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

bleedpurple

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 29, 2010, 03:40:25 AM

I'm not sure how good the view of the run was on video (Bobo?), but if they caught the whole run, it would be worth it.  Coppage showed three special attributes on one play. First, he got smoked in the backfield before he even had momentum. He broke the tackle one on one. Not sure how. He then circled to his left and then showed unbelievable feet with an "on the dime" cut upfield. Then was mauled by three Trine defenders in the condensed goal line defense and carried all three into the end zone.  Not sure how it shows on video, but it was an incredible run.

footballfan413

Quote from: Warhawk 96 on November 29, 2010, 08:12:17 AM
Quote from: kubiack78 on November 29, 2010, 03:23:56 AM
Quote from: FormerCard on November 28, 2010, 10:13:55 PM
Quote from: footballfan413 on November 28, 2010, 09:21:29 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on November 28, 2010, 09:17:13 PM
Looking forward to my first UWW game way from the Perk.....I'm going to bring my UWW flag down, and I wonder if NCC will let me bring it in the stadium with a 4-foot poll attached to it so I can wave it around.  ;D

For those that haven't been to Naperville, it's a really nice town of about 100,000...it's nothing like Whitewater. Being in the heart of the Chicago suburbs, there's tons of bars and restaurants in the area.
Sure isn't.  You will pay 3 times as much for your food and drink than you would in Whitewater.  ;)

There was no such thing as 25 cent draft night in Naperville during college.    >:(

I don't know if they still do it, but two bars in Whitewater used to have dime taps on Wed. nights.  from 8 to midnight

It's now a Tuesday night special and it used to be on Tuesdays and Fridays for a while. There's also a bar offering penny tappers on Tuesday nights and a 3 topping large pizza at 2 am. is still 10 bucks at Rosa's....Good times.
Like I have said many times, there is no cheaper place to eat and drink than Whitewater, Wisconsin!  Thank goodness because my family has saved a bundle over the years!   ;)
    Now if we just didn't have to move our car every 2 hours to avoid tickets while patronizing their downtown establishments, it would be perfect.   ;D

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: BoBo on November 28, 2010, 09:44:57 PM
bw, are all warhawk practices inside Perkins Stadium and closed to the public?

Yes and yes

I've seen the video replay of Coppage's touchdown run and it captures the entire run very well.  I hope our SID will submit it.  It was incredible.  How a guy his size can do that is a mystery to me.  He rarely is tackled by the first defender encountered and more often that not it takes more than one to bring him down.  He's a real talent. 

There is no connection between the cannon and WHITEWATER'S history or tradition other than that it's been a fixture at the stadium for a long time and become a tradition.  I really can't say what started it.  Whether we could use it again in the playoffs by locating it outside the stadium is up for grabs.  As I mentioned earlier it was this particular NCAA official's interpretation of the rule that banned it.  Every other NCAA official we've had for the past five years has not interpreted the rule to mean that.     

We tried to get the message board operator to find an image of a cannon and show it with the word KABOOM after every score but he already has several other things to illustrate and didn't want to antagonize the situation.  He was probably wiser than myself. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

KitchenSink

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 29, 2010, 08:18:16 AM

I'm not sure how good the view of the run was on video (Bobo?), but if they caught the whole run, it would be worth it.  Coppage showed three special attributes on one play. First, he got smoked in the backfield before he even had momentum. He broke the tackle one on one. Not sure how. He then circled to his left and then showed unbelievable feet with an "on the dime" cut upfield. Then was mauled by three Trine defenders in the condensed goal line defense and carried all three into the end zone.  Not sure how it shows on video, but it was an incredible run.

I was sitting on the 30 on that end of the field, and that run was amazing.  The DB slanting in hard from the corner took a running start and just unloaded on Coppage.  Coppage shook it off and then found a small soft spot at left tackle.  Picked up a few yards, then a juke or two out of his bag of tricks, and a head-down muscle push (the O-line kept pushing, props to them, too) took him to paydirt.  Jeepers, I hope there is a decent video of that run.

Oh, and dime-tappers?  Please don't remind me.  Those and mini's at the Rathskellar ....
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

footballfan413

Quote from: MasterJedi on November 28, 2010, 11:33:38 PM
Watt was a stud QB and his recievers had good hands and never dropped the ball. Watt made the team though, without him the game is still close but not 14 points. The one guy who was sitting below me in my section screaming "pound the rock" every so often was smart. That's one thing I don't like about Liepold, he has a tendancy to get away from the run and try for bombs, at least he went back to the run in the end.

I'll be heading down to Naperville with at least my parents and one of my roomates. My suggestion is that for every TD we scream "BOOM"! 
Pounding the rock is all well and good but we didn't get to the Stagg Bowl the last 5 years, winning 2 of them, because we pounded the rock only.  A balanced offense is crucial this time of year and is the ONLY way to go deep into the play offs, IMHO.  Developing a great passing game in addition to our running game  is what took us to the next level in 05.  You may win a conference championship but you will not win a national title running the ball only against the top defenses in the country and if either NCC or the Warhawks try that on Saturday, they will not move on.   Once the game is in hand and the opponent is worn down, OK, but the run opens up the pass and the pass opens up the run, just football 101. 

retagent

You guys are WAY TOO hung up on the cannon thing. I think it's Freudian, but that's just me - you Jackwagons.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: retagent on November 29, 2010, 09:59:04 AM
You guys are WAY TOO hung up on the cannon thing. I think it's Freudian, but that's just me - you Jackwagons.

you're WAY TOO hung up on what's being said on this board  ;).

MasterJedi

Quote from: footballfan413 on November 29, 2010, 09:42:03 AM
Quote from: MasterJedi on November 28, 2010, 11:33:38 PM
Watt was a stud QB and his recievers had good hands and never dropped the ball. Watt made the team though, without him the game is still close but not 14 points. The one guy who was sitting below me in my section screaming "pound the rock" every so often was smart. That's one thing I don't like about Liepold, he has a tendancy to get away from the run and try for bombs, at least he went back to the run in the end.

I'll be heading down to Naperville with at least my parents and one of my roomates. My suggestion is that for every TD we scream "BOOM"! 
Pounding the rock is all well and good but we didn't get to the Stagg Bowl the last 5 years, winning 2 of them, because we pounded the rock only.  A balanced offense is crucial this time of year and is the ONLY way to go deep into the play offs, IMHO.  Developing a great passing game in addition to our running game  is what took us to the next level in 05.  You may win a conference championship but you will not win a national title running the ball only against the top defenses in the country and if either NCC or the Warhawks try that on Saturday, they will not move on.   Once the game is in hand and the opponent is worn down, OK, but the run opens up the pass and the pass opens up the run, just football 101. 

I agree, except the pass wasn't working well at that point and we were getting 5-8 yards on every rush by Coppage. And in those last two drives we almost purely ran Coppage with only about four passes. And it worked, UWW got 2 TDs.

BoBo

Quote from: bleedpurple on November 29, 2010, 08:18:16 AM

I recorded the video stream with WMRecorder and have been working on isolating that TD by Coppage. I've had a slight hiccup with it, but I will continue working on it and try to post it ASAP.

This is what I see:

Coppage was lined up 7 yards behind the line, Brekke under center. Bernie Tamsett went in motion left to right. Brekke handed the ball to Coppage at the 15. Trine FS #4 Aaron Selking, came on a blitz from around the Warhawks left end, which Trine was doing A LOT in the 2nd half, untouched, and hit Coppage when he was still 4 yards deep in the backfield (about the 13). Selking, who earlier had the INT setting up the lone Trine 2nd half score, hit Coppage up under his left shoulder, but never put his arms around him. Just as Lavell gets the handoff, his head bobs a little bit to the left and looks like he sees Selking coming and braces himself. The hit leaves him with only his right leg on the ground going back. But in a split second, regains his balance and is on the move. Selking was probably licking his chops at the sight of Coppage exposed like that & I think he got a bit out of control and got the worst of the hit back at him. Coppage, with a little wiggle to his left, continued toward the end. He looked like he was going to take it wide, but had LB #11 Brock Reinig in his way. Rather than trying to go around Reinig, Coppage cut upfield where there was a huge hole. Reinig only got his left hand around Coppage's left knee as he dove to his left in his failed attempt to bring Coppage down. Just inside the 5, Coppage is literally surrounded by 4 white Trine jerseys - 1 behind him (a pursuing Selking), 1 on his left (#32 SS Aaron Shoemaker), 1 directly in front of him (I think #58 LB  Ben Mohr) and 1 on his right (#54 LB Jacob Vance), with Warhawk #79 RG Logan Allemand flying through trying to make a block - but I don't think he hit anyone. Shoemaker, ironically, goes for Coppage's feet & came up empty - he was the first to miss. Next, Vance has what I would call the best shot at him. He gets both his arms around little #33, but doesn't stop his legs. Vance can't pull him down. Bernie Tamsett comes up behind Vance, gives him a little push/shove/hold? and goes to the ground, but no Coppage in his arms any more. Another Trine guy getting a hand on Coppage is #90 Chris Eichman. At normal speed, I kind of lose Coppage in the scrum - #75 Robby Ustruck & #66 Mark Gawronski come in from the right of the play and simply knock the pile the final 2 yards into the endzone. Coppage appeared to lose the ball after getting into the EZ but gets it back as Gawronski dove toward the ball, too. Coppage did most of the run on his own, but down near the goal line, it was a team effort. Those O-lineman never stopped working & just flat out, out muscled and pushed the Trine guys out of the way. It looked great on video, too, bp - hope to get some usable video soon.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

kubiack78

Quote from: Warhawk 96 on November 29, 2010, 08:12:17 AM

Is the pumping Station and Mitchells still there?   I don't know anything about Rosa's,  and Toppers had just opened up my last year there.

Barber Greene

Bobo,

You are correct about Trine crashing the end from the outside.  There was no outside contain. I think even Lee Brekke could have run forever had he faked the ball to Coppage and ran around the end.  However, that wasn't needed. Coppage was doing just fine even with the crashing from the end.

badgerwarhawk

"Just think twice is my only advice."