Top 25 discussion

Started by Pat Coleman, February 02, 2005, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Grizz

From what I've seen, Oshkosh was way overrated. Point had Stout and literally handed the game to them, it was awful to listen to. Nonetheless, all of these teams are awesome. It's a shame they have to beat up on one another giving each other a loss or three and then come bid time, forget it. But that's the system, at least for this year.  Stout should definitely move up and for hoops sake I hope Oshkosh finally gets dropped out!

Allen M. Karon

CORRECTION REGARDING A PREVIOUS POSTING--

On Feb. 2, 2005, I wrote a post that speculated about Coach Jen Kroll's position on the WBCA poll.  Apparently my post rubbed at least one person the wrong way, and that person has sent me information setting the record straight about Coach Kroll's position.

Upon receiving the information, I have been convinced that Coach Kroll is indeed a proper representative of the East region in the WBCA poll.

I regret the previous error that I have made, and apologize to anyone who was disturbed by my previous post on the matter.

Lloyd Christmas

So that begs the question: Why are there two reps from the East?

Personally, I have no problem with it. I don't want to get Allen into any more hot water, but would be curious to know.

diehardfan

For those keeping tabs (which is obviously not many people), Wheaton is now 9-0 in the conference, having won our last 14 games in a row.  

As the "Around the Nation" article on the front page states, our only two losses of the season came before our Senior star Erin Wingerter had time to adjust to playing basketball again (after helping Wheaton to their NCAA DIII Womens Socer National Title). They were also close losses, with Wheaton losing by a whopping total of four points.

As the season has progressed, we have only gotten better. We are now beating our conference opponents by an average of over 20 ppg, we have the highest fg% in the conf, and are also earning the best fg% defense by holding conference foes to under 30% and under 22% from behind the arc!  

We are ranked #1 in the Midwest Region Rankings. Obviously those committees are somewhat tied by numbers (blah) but it is not insignificant that our peers have give us this honor either.  

We are the Wheaton Thunder! Hear us... uh... Thunder! (Seriously though, isn't it about time for the voters to be taking us seriously?)
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Lloyd Christmas

Diehard, let me the first person to congratulate the Thunder on their impending NCAA bid. Even a loss will get them into the tourney, I would think.

And let me take the time to congratulate the Judgettes, as well, for their gritty win and impending NCAA bid. I think they can take a loss and still get a bid (regardless of my previous post suggesting their doom).

I think the N.E. region is shaping up to be a gem (at this time). Bowdoin, Bates, Brandeis, Emmanuel, Salem State, and Southern Maine comprise a power region I would put up against any around. The team making its way out will be battle-tested and worthy of the nation's best.

nyballer14

Rankings are worthless in D3. Just something for the fans and media to talk and write about. They won't really have any meaning until after this year when they up the number of Pool C bids, which makes a lot more sense than this 50 team tournament that includes 35 awful non-contenders. Plus it leaves really good teams home that have a real chance of the Final 4. Teams like Wash U and NYU are bubble teams?? what is that. That is the equivalent to saying UConn and TN women are bubbleteams. It makes their seasons a lot more stressful than it should be. Instead of feeling good about having a 16-4 record and looking forward to having the opportunity to play for something, they have to settle for ECAC while teams like Hunter and other bad teams get rewarded for playing in AWFUL conferences. Lets only take 1 or 2 teams from the SEC this year and see how the world likes that one.

Kayla Johnson

I'm not saying the current system is flawles...but I'm sure the teams that get out of the UAA and NESCAC alive and into the NCAA tourney don't mind having to play a less competitive school like Hunter in the first round.  Sure, it stinks for the other teams in teh UAA, but until next year when the system changes, we'll have to deal!

nyballer14

I would love for there to be a tournament early in the year that features many of the top 10 ranked teams, similar to the pre-season NIT at the Garden. It will give D3 fans something to really look forward to and for the teams and coaches to get a feel for what the top teams are capable of. I also feel bad for many of the seniors out there that will be left out of the tournament because of the selection process. Work all year to be left out for .500 teams, what a joke.

Lloyd Christmas

I feel bad for the seniors out there who would actually blame the selection criteria for their not making the tournament. How about earning it? Everyone is a victim these days, I guess.

Each player and team knew the deal at the beginning of the season, so complaining about it now is tedious.

Pre-season top 10 tourney? While we're in fantasy world, I'd like a pony.

mac fan

why not a pre season tourney.....and as long as we're dreaming, make it one in every region! but, since teams in tough conferences already get punished for beating up on one another during the regular season, let's make it a classic so that teams in the same conference don't play one another! then, all the pollsters will have some basis of comparison! of course, we can't account for those athletes who may be finishing seasons in other sports, or who may just need a bit more "warming up" to the season, or young teams who won't have the chemistry yet...or or or or.....why bother with polls!? they should just be fun for the fans! BUT they should not have quite the power they do for deciding who gets to the dance! i like the analogy of uconn and tenn!  maybe they should stop playing each other during the season if losing to one another, once, or one team losing two close games.....should that keep them out of the dance? i don't think we need to have lesser teams in the big dance for a "gimme" win, or to create cinderella opportunities! teams that compete against tough competition and are in the thick of things for the overall season should be rewarded! not teams who happen to catch a team at their low for one game, or who happen to play over their own heads for a game!  just my thoughts! and frustrations! with the "system!" some great teams will be left without their dancing shoes....again! i don't want to wait til next year! but i guess we have to!

Pat Coleman

"BUT they should not have quite the power they do for deciding who gets to the dance!"

I would love if our poll had the power to decide who gets to the dance. It's a more accurate predictor than the regional polls which do, in part, decide that.

nyballer14

It is harder to make this tournament than it is to win it...sad but true and 5 years of this "New" idea of how the teams should be selected obviously is a failure because it is gone next year. Put the best teams in the tournament so that the real champion can truly earn it. Come on...leaving out the defending national champion with a 25-3 record is a little much to accept and please don't say "you knew the system before the season"...yeah they may not have had the highest strength of schedule out there, but they proved that they were worthy enough to win the whole thing and a great record to follow...please counter that one for me

ronk

Have the sectional pairings for the NCAA been determined already? I hope there's no repeat of last year when 3 of the top 4 were put into the same sectional(northeast/mid-atlantic) ensuring that 2 of them couldn't make it to the final four. It made no sense competitively or geographically with the eastern being closer to the northeast than the mid-atlantic.

Pat Coleman

nyballer, then they should have won their conference tournament.  

ronk, it's Northeast v. Atlantic, Central v. Great Lakes, Mid-Atlantic v. East and West v. South.

That doesn't mean that there won't be Northeast teams in the East bracket -- in fact, it seems a guarantee.

Lloyd Christmas

NYBaller,

The team's that deserved to go to the tournament are in, those that don't, aren't. It's that simple. If a team is 25-3 and is not in the tournament, it means they couldn't win the Pool A bid and had a pathetic schedule that could not earn them a Pool C bid (or B, if applicable). Past success should have no bearing.

There is nothing to 'counter.' There's no conspiracy. It's not unfair. The criteria was clear. Some satisfied it, most did not.

If your team did/doesn't make it this year, hope they get better next year and earn it. Stop complaining about the system just because you/your team couldn't figure it out.