World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browneagle64

Have any of you guys ever gone south of the US and seen a Mexican league soccer match?

I recently went to the "super classico" ( Club Chivas v.s Club America.)
and felt something similar to what the Europeans get out of their soccer leagues. The stadiums and fans are just as wild, but not as crazy as those in europe.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Stinger

Had the pleasure of watching 4 Champions League matches on the ESPN networks over the past two days. Im  a big fan of them replaying a match on Classic at 5.  Incredible goal by Drogba to lift Chelsea over Barca.  Barca looked awful, and you can tell they are really missing Eto'o.

It was interesting that ESPN was really pushing the Chelsea/Barca game to be played at the Nou Camp on 10/31 as being on ESPN Deportes. I wonder if they think this game could give them a push in subscriptions.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Greek Tragedy

I think you're right.  Fox Soccer Channel's football fone-in asked the question what is the best international football rivalry and they thought it was Barcelona v Real Madrid because it gets the interest of South American countries as well.  Some people said Celtic/Rangers, others said some Mexican rivalries, but neither of those get the INTERNATIONAL appeal that Real and Barca get.  You could say two English teams, but for the most part, no one in South America cares. 

I'm a big Man Utd. fan and I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more Red Devil games on Fox Soccer Channel.  Even when they weren't played live last season, they usually played the replay during the week.  This year, I don't even see that.  With that said, I can't believe they aren't showing the Liverpool v Manchester United game this weekend.  Wow.  I'm sure there are "rights" that play into this, but still!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Browneagle64

Chelsea coaching staff should be commended and prasied for staying with their game plan.
Whats funny about the chelsea v.s Barca game was that there was no good front 3 against a good chelsea team. Coach Frank just thought that maybe the mid-field would be able to attack the middle lines, but ultimately suffered. If the Champs continue to do this, i assure you they will not repeat as champs. All that talent with barca needs to wake up and used properly in their game plan. Just My opinion
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Barca really just needs to sit down and have an intervention with Ronaldinho.  He needs to remember that he's a midfielder and he is allowed to use his ungodly ball control to open up the offense and occasionally roam to the defensive side of midfield.

He's playing lazy and it's going to kill them.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

This is exactly what i felt after seing him play during this game. Not only was he used in a different method, but he didn't look like the Ronaldinho of the past year. Again, i think this could be attributed to Coach Franks weak game plan that Chelsea exposed and used to prevail on Barca. Btw, this has been going on for more than 1 game for the champs.

They just need to get back to their basics.

sac

Quote from: Old School on October 20, 2006, 12:04:57 AM

I'm a big Man Utd. fan and I'm disappointed that I haven't seen more Red Devil games on Fox Soccer Channel.  Even when they weren't played live last season, they usually played the replay during the week.  This year, I don't even see that.  With that said, I can't believe they aren't showing the Liverpool v Manchester United game this weekend.  Wow.  I'm sure there are "rights" that play into this, but still!

What?......Sheffield United/Everton doesn't excite you?

Browneagle64

Quick note: With His royal Airness meeting Ronaldinho after his talks in Paris, I am sure this will awake the soccer great. In fact, i hope that his peep talk will inspire him to do what he does best and get in rythm to play his style of soccer.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: sac on October 20, 2006, 10:01:59 PM
What?......Sheffield United/Everton doesn't excite you?

Not the Blades part.  I like the Toffees.  Cahill, Arteta, and even Tim Howard plays for them...  ;D
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Finally back to some premiership matches this weekend.  How long until Ole Gunner starts coming up in a steroids scandal?  This guy couldn't stay healthy through his prime and now he'sscoring goals left and right.  I love rooting for him, but it seems to be an odd resurrgence at his age.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Hoops Fan on October 27, 2006, 04:46:05 PM

Finally back to some premiership matches this weekend.  How long until Ole Gunner starts coming up in a steroids scandal?  This guy couldn't stay healthy through his prime and now he'sscoring goals left and right.  I love rooting for him, but it seems to be an odd resurrgence at his age.

When you sit for two years...he's basically two years younger. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School on October 27, 2006, 11:26:41 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on October 27, 2006, 04:46:05 PM

When you sit for two years...he's basically two years younger. 

Hate to inform you, but, alas, it doesn't work that way! :(

He may have FULLY healed from nagging injuries, and saved two years of wear-and-tear, but he is STILL two years older!  (Considering the earlier phrases, maybe only one and a half years older!) ;D

Browneagle64

I love rooting for him, but it seems to be an odd resurrgence at his age.-------

It's called the last fumes in the Tank... All old athletes have that. When its over, its over. Some end their careers gracefully on high notes, others just head bunt their ways into retirement..(Hmmm, please say dear old becks can do this sometime soon, Let him leave the field not as a soft english fella. HEhE

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Browneagle64 on October 31, 2006, 12:47:37 AM
I love rooting for him, but it seems to be an odd resurrgence at his age.-------

It's called the last fumes in the Tank... All old athletes have that. When its over, its over. Some end their careers gracefully on high notes, others just head bunt their ways into retirement..(Hmmm, please say dear old becks can do this sometime soon, Let him leave the field not as a soft english fella. HEhE

Beckham will always be a soft english fella, that's just who he is.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Hoops Fan on November 01, 2006, 05:16:04 PM
Quote from: Browneagle64 on October 31, 2006, 12:47:37 AM

Beckham will always be a soft english fella, that's just who he is.

You may be right, but has there EVER been a more dangerous player off set plays?!