2015 Regionals

Started by mideastfan2, May 11, 2015, 03:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mideastfan2

Couldn't hold on after the heroic HR...end up losing 3-2 in extras.

motorman

Berg loses to Frostburg 9-6. Blew a 6-1 lead. Same story as last week. Bet Hendrixson is out there tomorrow.

NCACfan22

OBERLIN WINS!! Game resumed in bottom 6th with YEO trailing Keystone (31-11) 4-1. Yeo battled back and won 5-4. The Cinderella story continues!! They now play RPI at 1 PM with a spot in the championship game against Cortland (who they beat through 8 innings) on the line.

mideastfan2

Go BERG!!

Go OBERLIN!!

Both faceust win games to just get to the regional championship...it can be done!!

motorman

Another example of why they need a rule about rest between starts, Laroche starts Ferguson today vs Heidelberg on 2 days rest after pitching 9+ innings on Wed, having thrown 153 pitches. It needs to be taken out of the coaches hands. It is borderline criminal.

I will feel the same way if Berg does the same thing with Hendrixson.

motorman

Berg loses to Laroche. Ran into the same problem as at the OAC Tournament, 2 pitchers not enough to win any tournament.

Dr. Acula

They might only need 2 if only Hendrixson would have come back and thrown another CG like Ferguson did...   ;D

On the surface I certainly agree that's ridiculous for a kid to throw 18 innings and 250-300 pitches in 4 days.  But I also don't like codifying stuff like that.  These aren't little kids who are still growing and developing, they're 18-23 year olds.  If he feels like he can go and his parents are fine with it?  I say he should be able to.  Now whether the coach wants to use him is another decision, but I think it should be a coach's decision not a hard and fast rule.

For the record, my dad would have known if I was okay to pitch better than anyone just from watching me warm up.  He knew all my subconscious "tells" of not being ready from years of catching me and coaching me.  Maybe all dads aren't that in tune and I understand that.

motorman

Dr, I agree I would prefer not to have to put it in the rules but it seems obvious that's going to have to be done since coaches can't resist the temptation to go for it all at any cost. No kid is going to say he can't do it or he risks the coaches ire and maybe even the disdain of his teammates.

I agree with you about some dads knowing more about the son's mechanics than his coaches but I saw that be ignored first hand last year. I saw a flaw that was costing my son major velocity toward the end of the regular season last year. When the stubborn little brat wouldn't listen to me I attempted to talk to the pitching coach. He listened and told me they would work on it and didn't do a thing about it according to my son after the season ended. So, this past winter the kid spent money on lessons from his pitching coach at home working on the same thing I said was wrong last spring.

BigPoppa

Similarly, as an 18-23 year old, he is a legal adult and does not need his parents permission or approval to throw.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

motorman

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 20, 2015, 11:23:02 AM
Similarly, as an 18-23 year old, he is a legal adult and does not need his parents permission or approval to throw.

As a parent I would never attempt to say he couldn't do it but I will not have anything good to say about a coach or program that subjects their kids to that.

I know Ohio State stopped sending kids to play for Butler in the Prospect League in the summer because of overuse issues.

I think it is high time throwing kids that much on short rest is not applauded and be taken off the board as an option for coaches. If the NCAA truly is looking out for the student athlete then this needs to be addressed.

I was very glad that Laroche didn't earn a trip to Appleton as a result of this, but Heidelberg was hardly blameless either throwing Adam Manner 3+ innings in relief the day after pitching a complete game.