FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wone3

OK..my week 3 picks....

First tho, mass band day last week was fun to watch even with a semi-decent game. We ( hubby, myself and my mom at least) will be at the Stevenson game to watch the kid perform in the band and the 1/2time  show that we only saw a small part of during preview about a month ago.

King's - 28        LebVal - 21  I agreed with comment above..need to kill the sour taste and if King's mixes it up well this could be a larger spread. King's needs to stop the run and watch the QB who can bring it down and run ( that was their main offense last week against Stevenson and it seemed like Stevenson didn't make the adjustment at all. Timely turnovers helped Stevenson seal the deal last week.

Lycoming - 45   Misericordia - 7  This is a nice break for Lyco and hopefully they gain some experience and work out kinks and things in the secondary especially.

Widener - 41     Wilkes - 21  Widener has too much for Wilkes this year and most every year. Keep the balance and keep on playing

Stevenson - 48  FDU - 14  Again a nice and should be soft game for Stevenson and the start of a short relaxed break until 10/15 with a game at  Misercordia next week and break the following week; until they hit the tough portion of the schedule..Widener,Del Val,( especially) but can't overlook these last 3 -  Kings , Wilkes and Lyco

Albright - 24      DelVal - 27  I agree this will be a last minute finish and I'm still not 100% sold on Albright and Del Val wants the conference fight for the bid on Stevenson's homcoming/family weekend game

tweisman5

After 3 weeks of games, I think it is acceptable to start putting out a conference ranking. Here are my rankings heading into week 4:

MAC RANKINGS

1. Del Val
2. Stevenson
3. Albright
4. Widener
5. Leb Val
6. Kings
7. Lycoming
8. Wilkes
9. FDU
10. Misericordia

Below is my predictions for this upcoming week of games. The Albright vs. Del Val game will give the conference a good measuring stick to clear up the conference rankings.

Week 4 Predictions

Lycoming@Misericordia: Lycoming wins by 17 points

Leb Val@Kings: Leb Val wins by 3 points

FDU@Stevenson: Stevenson wins by 37 points

Albright@Del Val: Del Val wins by 10 points

Wilkes@Widener: Widener wins by 21 points

Go Mustangs!

kate

Tough, tough loss for Del Val and kudos to Albright and their quarterback!  Win out please Aggies!

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 04, 2016, 11:21:46 AM
Quote from: tweisman5 on September 02, 2016, 03:55:18 PM
Excited for the season to finally kick off tonight! With the start of the season, it means the start of predictions and some fun trying to guess the upsets! My prediction for this upcoming season is as followed:

1. Albright
2. Delaware Valley
3. Stevenson
4. Widener
5. Lycoming
6. Lebanon Valley
7. Kings
8. Wilkes
9. FDU-Florham
10. Misericordia

I believe the last few weeks will become a tight three team race again between Albright, Stevenson, and Del Val. The key conference games this season I believe will be: W2 Stevenson@Albright, W4 Albright@Del Val, and W8 Del Val@Stevenson. I see Stevenson as the dark horse team in the three team race. Most people are split between Del Val and Albright winning the conference, and I understand why; however, if there was any team that could capture the conference it would be Stevenson. If Albright loses W2 and W4, it's likely you can count them out contending for a conference championship. I would circle W8: Del Val@Stevenson as a possible "unofficial" conference championship if this occurs. The only issue I see with Stevenson that leaves them as an unknown contender is the QB and LB positions. If they can find good players at those position, I see them running the table on the season.

Here are my week 1 picks:

Del Val@Wesley: Wesley wins a close game by 10
Albright@Salisbury: Albright a close game by 3
NC Wesleyan@Stevenson: Stevenson wins by 10
Rowan@Widener: Widener wins by 9
Muhlenburg@Wilkes: Muhlenburg wins by 23
Leb Val@F&M: Leb Val wins a close game by 3
Susquehanna@Lycoming: Lycoming wins by 13
Kings@Moravian: Moravian wins by 14
Utica@Misericordia: Utica wins by 24

I'm going to throw a curveball or two in here on my 2016 season predictions:

1. Stevenson (the key DelVal game is at home and getting better at the higher level transfer gig..........but not Rowan in the 90's ;) )
2. Albright (6 first place votes by MAC coaches and everybody back of significance from last year's MAC Champion)
3. DelVal (Stevenson on the road + the annual loss vs. a team that you shouldn't lose to.........at Wilkes in 2015)
4. Widener (excellent defense and solid running game)
5. Lycoming (may surprise with what they have at RB/QB and all they have back from last year)
6. King's (might be better than most think)
7. Wilkes (same as King's)
8. Leb Valley (too many decent teams in the MAC)
9. FDU (best receiver in the conference is the highlight)
10. Misericordia (they replaced a running QB........with a running QB........the long slog continues)

On another note, to those who don't think a 1st round draft pick, a 4th and the 2017 cap space now freed up to resign Bennie Logan was a criminal haul for an oft-injured QB who was gone after this season.........I want to sit next to you at the poker table and take all of your money! ;)

I'm not one to toot my own "predicting horn" (although bman has done so for me over the years...........I do quite well with the NFL as well ;) ) but in my September 4 post above, I've got Stevenson, Albright and DelVal, followed by Widener........and it is playing out just like I thought. Stevenson now has an even clearer path with the DelVal game at home and Albright out of the way.

Sometimes you just have to say, "damn, I'm good"........or, "damn, I'm lucky" :)

Stevenson runs the table as does Albright. DelVal loses at Stevenson and at Widener. Stevenson is the only MAC school in the playoffs and gets a #4 seed in the East. Book it!! ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 22, 2016, 04:55:15 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 15, 2016, 08:57:45 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 10, 2016, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: wone3 on September 10, 2016, 02:27:36 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 10, 2016, 02:15:15 PM
MAC observations after the Stevenson @ Albright game:

(1) Stevenson is in the drivers seat and it's their conference to lose with playing DelVal at home. They play LebVal and FDU at home, followed by a game at Misericordia, a critical bye before heading to Widener, before hosting DelVal. Beat Widener (which I expect, in a close game) and Stevenson is undefeated going into the DelVal game.........with a season ending game at Lycoming standing in the way of a 10-0 record.

(2) Albright will be playing for their lives next week in a home game vs. Lycoming

(3) If Albright beats Lycoming, they will be playing for one last shot at the MAC in two weeks as a loss to DelVal would drop them to 1-2 in the conference (1-3 overall) with head-to-head losses against both Stevenson and DelVal. I don't see this happening to the team predicted by 6 out of 10 head coaches (6 out of 9 non-Albright head coaches) to win the conference with all they had returning.

(4) Given home games, timing of byes (critical) and playing of weaker teams before the bigger games.........I see both Widener and Lycoming beating at least one of the Stevenson/DelVal/Albright triumvirate, with an outside possibility of one of them possibly beating two.

Just my thoughts...........

I agree with a lot(most) of this..just have to see what Lyco does today to convince me more about #4. Lyco is young basically but they do return their QB/RB combo. Stevenson handled them well at home early on in the season last year. I'd have better odds of Widener picking off Stevenson at home before Lyco; but Lyco will get the chance to play spoiler in the final 2 weeks as they play Del Val and then Stevenson in those 2 final weeks. Widener will play and be tough (close games) for both Stevenson and Del Val.

The Del Val/Stevenson game is family/homecoming weekend ( don't get why they do both together) so the stadium will be jammed anyway; but it will make it even worth more if it is going to be for top of the conference by then. Still plenty of games to play before then.

King's is either much better than most thought and/or Lycoming might be lucky to win one against Stevenson/DelVal/Albright. The do have a dynamic, returning QB/RB combination along with a few nice receivers and while young on defense, they are not much younger than many of the MAC teams (DelVal has two seniors on defense and one is the 340 pound nose tackle, nice guy, but replaceable).

By the looks of this game, I expect King's to give DelVal one hell of a battle next week at home. The QB is a veteran and they have a very good and experienced passing game.

I'll wait to hear Simba's thoughts on the Lyco game today.

Week Two Predictions (without Lycosimba's analysis of the Lyco vs. King's game):

Widener - 43        FDU - 16 (Widener's QB will be slinging the ball all over Madison, NJ and their defense is very stout)
Wilkes - 34          Misericordia - 10 (It's going to be another long year for Miserables)
Stevenson - 37    LebVal - 20 (As stated above, winning at Albright puts Stevenson on the inside track to the MAC championship given the DelVal game is at home)
Albright - 38        Lycoming - 24 (As crazy as it sounds this early on, the preseason favorite.......6 of 9 first place votes of the non-Albright head coaches poll.......could be sunk with a loss)
DelVal - 28          King's - 27 (King's QB might turn out to be the conference MVP and their LB might be the best as well. Nailbiter until the very end. Always a tough game at the wind vortex)

5-0 last week.........although just a tad bit askew with a couple of the scores (i.e. DelVal by one point........up 49 after the first possession of the 3rd quarter)

Week Three Predictions:

King's - 26        LebVal - 20 (King's is at home and wants to get the taste of last week's home pasting by DelVal out of their mouths ASAP)
Lycoming - 41   Misericordia - 9 (Lyco's soft stretch starts here followed by home game, @ FDU, bye, home, @ Wilkes before ending the season with DelVal & Stevenson. Still a shot if they run the table)
Widener - 37     Wilkes - 16 (Widener's defense is too much for Wilkes and the offense has a good run/pass balance. They will make noise in the MAC)
Stevenson - 43  FDU - 14 (As stated at the top of the thread, the MAC favorite at this point, given the DelVal game at home, beats up on FDU......who's best player is now at Mount Union.......fancy that :) )
Albright - 26      DelVal - 24 (The team picked by 6 MAC Head Coaches in the preseason poll beats the team picked by 4 MAC Head Coaches. Decided in last two minutes)

Oh and yes, Carson Wentz is a stud..........but will come a bit back to earth with what the Steelers are going to throw at him. The future looks bright with Wentz at QB!!

Board...........wake up!! There is more action up on the Buffy, Biffy and Tiffy boards from the New England Conferences! ;)

I was not at the game, but I hope you took my advice with the bookies who take DIII action (kidding.........sort of ;) ) as I called for an Albright two point victory decided in the last two minutes.

I would like to apologize for not nailing it even more precisely as it was a three point Albright victory in the final 15 seconds.

Other than the surprising closeness of the Lyco vs. Miserables and Widener vs. Wilkes games, I was just about spot on.

I am keeping tonight's lottery winning number and tomorrow's Eagles vs. Steelers score to myself........as I pat myself on the back just a bit more ;)

No more Stevenson losses.
No more Albright losses.
Two more DelVal losses (Stevenson and Widener).
Stevenson as the only MAC team in the playoffs.

jmcozenlaw

First respondent gets a prize. Second respondent gets half a prize. Let's see if we can find the missing and/or wake up the dead. This was never the busiest board but when I go back to the beginning of the site and see the names of the dearly departed (from the board.......not the planet ;) ) I realize the difference between DI and DII/DIII fandom. DII/DIII has a handful or handfuls of diehards, but most non-diehards slowly fade once they graduate (just look at the number of ex-players on the sidelines 10, 20, 30 years after graduation compared to what you see on many DI sidelines) or when their kids graduate. Tons of DI fans are regulars at games each week, especially homecoming, until they die or are too old to get around that way. I've never, never, never understood it. I know so many graduates of DII/DIII programs who have never been or are no longer involved at Homecoming weekends. I know so many DI grads who never miss it and make plans for the next year as soon as the dates are set. My Swarthmore homecomings are like wakes. My buddies at Penn State.......they are up there for three or four days. I don't why grads of the smaller schools aren't as passionate about their schools as grads are from bigger schools. It's one of my mysteries of life!!!!

D3MAFAN

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 26, 2016, 12:01:16 PM
First respondent gets a prize. Second respondent gets half a prize. Let's see if we can find the missing and/or wake up the dead. This was never the busiest board but when I go back to the beginning of the site and see the names of the dearly departed (from the board.......not the planet ;) ) I realize the difference between DI and DII/DIII fandom. DII/DIII has a handful or handfuls of diehards, but most non-diehards slowly fade once they graduate (just look at the number of ex-players on the sidelines 10, 20, 30 years after graduation compared to what you see on many DI sidelines) or when their kids graduate. Tons of DI fans are regulars at games each week, especially homecoming, until they die or are too old to get around that way. I've never, never, never understood it. I know so many graduates of DII/DIII programs who have never been or are no longer involved at Homecoming weekends. I know so many DI grads who never miss it and make plans for the next year as soon as the dates are set. My Swarthmore homecomings are like wakes. My buddies at Penn State.......they are up there for three or four days. I don't why grads of the smaller schools aren't as passionate about their schools as grads are from bigger schools. It's one of my mysteries of life!!!!

I think its most likely due to T.V. exposure. People generally gravitate to what everyone else is talking about, which is the T.V. They talk about the same ole' teams. That's why smaller programs have harder times getting recruits and DII/DIII have hard time getting the exposure, because most of the student body grew up watching the big schools and accepting them as their own.

wone3

I agree in the out of sight-out of mind mentality. I want to make it up next year for my 25 at Lyco but it will depend on my kiddo's schedule ( the Football schedule). You don't see it on TV and you see the "big boys" all day from noon to midnight on Saturday and other nights as well. I think also with the small school that you had your circle of friends and you kept touch and do things year round which makes homecoming less needed. The bigger schools with a wider circle may make homecoming as the only chance to come together as a group.

Hope you get the thought ideas here...I might not have been as clear as I should be.

@d3jason

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 24, 2016, 05:08:32 PM

(1) Stevenson is in the drivers seat and it's their conference to lose with playing DelVal at home. They play LebVal and FDU at home, followed by a game at Misericordia, a critical bye before heading to Widener, before hosting DelVal. Beat Widener (which I expect, in a close game) and Stevenson is undefeated going into the DelVal game.........with a season ending game at Lycoming standing in the way of a 10-0 record.

(2) Albright will be playing for their lives next week in a home game vs. Lycoming

(3) If Albright beats Lycoming, they will be playing for one last shot at the MAC in two weeks as a loss to DelVal would drop them to 1-2 in the conference (1-3 overall) with head-to-head losses against both Stevenson and DelVal. I don't see this happening to the team predicted by 6 out of 10 head coaches (6 out of 9 non-Albright head coaches) to win the conference with all they had returning.

(4) Given home games, timing of byes (critical) and playing of weaker teams before the bigger games.........I see both Widener and Lycoming beating at least one of the Stevenson/DelVal/Albright triumvirate, with an outside possibility of one of them possibly beating two.

I agree with a lot(most) of this..just have to see what Lyco does today to convince me more about #4. Lyco is young basically but they do return their QB/RB combo. Stevenson handled them well at home early on in the season last year. I'd have better odds of Widener picking off Stevenson at home before Lyco; but Lyco will get the chance to play spoiler in the final 2 weeks as they play Del Val and then Stevenson in those 2 final weeks. Widener will play and be tough (close games) for both Stevenson and Del Val.

The Del Val/Stevenson game is family/homecoming weekend ( don't get why they do both together) so the stadium will be jammed anyway; but it will make it even worth more if it is going to be for top of the conference by then. Still plenty of games to play before then.

King's is either much better than most thought and/or Lycoming might be lucky to win one against Stevenson/DelVal/Albright. The do have a dynamic, returning QB/RB combination along with a few nice receivers and while young on defense, they are not much younger than many of the MAC teams (DelVal has two seniors on defense and one is the 340 pound nose tackle, nice guy, but replaceable).

By the looks of this game, I expect King's to give DelVal one hell of a battle next week at home. The QB is a veteran and they have a very good and experienced passing game.

Week Two Predictions (without Lycosimba's analysis of the Lyco vs. King's game):

Widener - 43        FDU - 16 (Widener's QB will be slinging the ball all over Madison, NJ and their defense is very stout)
Wilkes - 34          Misericordia - 10 (It's going to be another long year for Miserables)
Stevenson - 37    LebVal - 20 (As stated above, winning at Albright puts Stevenson on the inside track to the MAC championship given the DelVal game is at home)
Albright - 38        Lycoming - 24 (As crazy as it sounds this early on, the preseason favorite.......6 of 9 first place votes of the non-Albright head coaches poll.......could be sunk with a loss)
DelVal - 28          King's - 27 (King's QB might turn out to be the conference MVP and their LB might be the best as well. Nailbiter until the very end. Always a tough game at the wind vortex)

5-0 last week.........although just a tad bit askew with a couple of the scores (i.e. DelVal by one point........up 49 after the first possession of the 3rd quarter)

Week Three Predictions:

King's - 26        LebVal - 20 (King's is at home and wants to get the taste of last week's home pasting by DelVal out of their mouths ASAP)
Lycoming - 41   Misericordia - 9 (Lyco's soft stretch starts here followed by home game, @ FDU, bye, home, @ Wilkes before ending the season with DelVal & Stevenson. Still a shot if they run the table)
Widener - 37     Wilkes - 16 (Widener's defense is too much for Wilkes and the offense has a good run/pass balance. They will make noise in the MAC)
Stevenson - 43  FDU - 14 (As stated at the top of the thread, the MAC favorite at this point, given the DelVal game at home, beats up on FDU......who's best player is now at Mount Union.......fancy that :) )
Albright - 26      DelVal - 24 (The team picked by 6 MAC Head Coaches in the preseason poll beats the team picked by 4 MAC Head Coaches. Decided in last two minutes)

Oh and yes, Carson Wentz is a stud..........but will come a bit back to earth with what the Steelers are going to throw at him. The future looks bright with Wentz at QB!!

Board...........wake up!! There is more action up on the Buffy, Biffy and Tiffy boards from the New England Conferences! ;)

I was not at the game, but I hope you took my advice with the bookies who take DIII action (kidding.........sort of ;) ) as I called for an Albright two point victory decided in the last two minutes.

I would like to apologize for not nailing it even more precisely as it was a three point Albright victory in the final 15 seconds.

Other than the surprising closeness of the Lyco vs. Miserables and Widener vs. Wilkes games, I was just about spot on.

I am keeping tonight's lottery winning number and tomorrow's Eagles vs. Steelers score to myself........as I pat myself on the back just a bit more ;)

No more Albright losses.

I believe the correct reponse is : "I believe, I had that."

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: @d3jason on September 28, 2016, 08:19:46 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 24, 2016, 05:08:32 PM

Week Three Predictions:

No more Albright losses.

I believe the correct reponse is : "I believe, I had that."

It was my preseason and pregame belief.........and I did have it!! ;)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: D3MAFAN-MG on September 26, 2016, 02:32:27 PM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 26, 2016, 12:01:16 PM

I think its most likely due to T.V. exposure. People generally gravitate to what everyone else is talking about, which is the T.V. They talk about the same ole' teams. That's why smaller programs have harder times getting recruits and DII/DIII have hard time getting the exposure, because most of the student body grew up watching the big schools and accepting them as their own.

I certainly see what you are saying but I've never understood it given the lack of connection whatsoever. Sure, I like watching Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc..........but they are not "my" teams as I'm not from the state, didn't go to the schools and I am not a part of the fabric of the school or it's community. I'm a distant outsider. I find the concept of the "Notre Dame Subway Alums" mindboggling. Because you're Catholic.......and maybe Irish, that's "your" school? No, it's not!!

When long time posters die out, or fade (like Lycosimba and bman) it's kind of sad. It's one thing to have a four year interest as the parent of a player and you not having attended the school. But as an alum, that attachment should last forever and in many cases, it doesn't. The number of posters from the early days on the board........to those who remain to this day, is just about zero. They didn't "ungraduate". If they've moved, the internet is accessible from anywhere. It's a loss of interest that you rarely see at the big school level. My buddy, a Michigan grad, flies a huge flag in front of his house 365/24/7. My other buddy, next door to him, went to Dickinson. He doesn't own a flag, let alone fly one. There seems to be a "big time school pride" that rarely exists in the smaller schools. I just find it sad. I see it every year at Swarthmore. :(

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: wone3 on September 27, 2016, 05:50:05 PM
I agree in the out of sight-out of mind mentality. I want to make it up next year for my 25 at Lyco but it will depend on my kiddo's schedule ( the Football schedule). You don't see it on TV and you see the "big boys" all day from noon to midnight on Saturday and other nights as well. I think also with the small school that you had your circle of friends and you kept touch and do things year round which makes homecoming less needed. The bigger schools with a wider circle may make homecoming as the only chance to come together as a group.

Hope you get the thought ideas here...I might not have been as clear as I should be.

I understand completely. To be honest, after attending a few Penn State Homecoming weekends with friends as well one at Michigan and West Virginia, there is a part of me that is a tad bit jealous of the atmosphere and interest level of the alums. I've talked to numerous people in the alumni departments of many smaller schools and they smack their heads up against the wall to try to generate interest and enthusiasm, and at most schools, nothing works.

Speaking of "pride", I took my mother out to dinner in mid-August and we got talking to the greeter and our waiter. They had both just graduated from high school. When asked, the greeter enthusiastically stated that he was leaving for the University of North Carolina. Huge smile on his face. Our waiter?? He sheepishly, in a barely audible voice, told us that he was going to Salve Regina. His tone changed when I told him that I knew all about the school. The difference in the excitement levels between the two was amazing.......and there was no reason for that to be the case. Big School envy??? Maybe so. If I told 100 people that I was going to Penn State........100 would know what I was talking about. If I told 100 people that I was going to Claremont Mudd Scripps........I'm not sure that 1 person would even know what the heck I was talking about. Great school. Great education. But I know that I'd see that look in people's eyes who wouldn't know whether to congratulate me.......or console me. I've always found it a little sad, and my small school is more recognizable (Swarthmore) given it's academic reputation (I'd never get in today), and I'd maybe get 25 out of 100 that had ever heard of it. I support Swarthmore and DelVal (my adopted school) and the MAC as a result.......and wish that many more people, especially the alums, did so as well.

@d3jason

I think that maybe post boards are now an older medium too. More people may just tweet out their thoughts.

ITH radio

I attended Hobart undergrad and Southern Cal for my MBA. Total opposites on every level. The biggest difference I think is that the pride in a big time athletic program, by the students, alums, faculty and staff makes more sense at a USC than a HC. A lot of kids pick HWS b/c they wanted small, personal interaction with actual faculty (who usually abhor or feign interest in athletics). If I had to quickly sum it up, that'd be it.

And to Jason's point, not sure where the posters from 10 years + ago vanish off to other than careers, kids, etc. Only some of us hang on to the passion and interest that brought us on board from way back. I do also thing other avenues like Twitter, social media has made this medium very old fashioned (even though it's nice not to have a 140 character limit sometimes).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: @d3jason on September 28, 2016, 03:19:20 PM
I think that maybe post boards are now an older medium too. More people may just tweet out their thoughts.

I agree about the medium, but would be stunned if DIII football fans are tweeting within groups about MAC football. If it's barely happening here, I doubt it's happening elsewhere. It is an older way to communicate thoughts but I'm pretty sure that there is no site that approaches what we get from the various D3 sites. I still think that other than a small handful of diehards.......with most alums, parents of players, etc........the interest dies very quickly upon departing campus. That's a shame. The beer in the parking lot is no different at Penn State than at Lycoming! ;)