Ralph Turner

For the archives...

Pool B for 2104-15

East Region:      (1)    New Rochelle NY
Atlantic Region:  (2)    St Joseph's Brooklyn, Yeshiva
South Region:    (1)    Rust
Central Region:  (3)    Finlanida, Maranatha Baptist, Mount Mary
West Region:     (1)    UC Santa Cruz

I get 8 teams.  No Pool B bid this year.

(Corrections are appreciated.)

bballfan13

Finlandia is now in the Great South Athletic Conference.

RustCollege

So how many teams do you have to have for pool B
Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 28, 2015, 08:33:28 PM
For the archives...

Pool B for 2104-15

Ralph Turner

Quote from: RustCollege on March 04, 2015, 06:14:55 PM
For the archives...

Pool B for 2104-15

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 08, 2015, 02:42:58 PM
Quote from: RustCollege on March 04, 2015, 06:14:55 PM
For the archives...

Pool B for 2104-15

The calculation is made by totaling the number of member institutions in the Pool A conferences and dividing by the number of conferences.

That gives a ratio.  The number of teams that are in Pool B must be greater than or equal to the ratio for a Pool B bid to be awarded.
I suspect that the ratio was greater than 9.

Pool B needed 2 more Independents to have a bid allocated. (The Southern Athletic Association moved from Pool B to Pool A in 2014-15, and got a Pool A bid.)

deiscanton

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last week, the NCAA released the pre-championship manual for this season's NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Tournament (2017-18 season)

This year, there is 1 Pool B selection, with 10 candidates vying for the pick.

Here are the 10 Pool B candidates this season:

Atlantic-- Trinity Washington (Ind.)

Central-- Marantha Baptist (Ind.), Mount Mary (Ind.), Finlandia (ACAA)

East-- SUNY-Canton (ACAA), Pine Manor (ACAA), New Rochelle (Ind.)

Mid-Atlantic-- Valley Forge (ACAA)

Northeast-- UMaine-Presque Isle (ACAA)

West--UC Santa Cruz (Ind.)

Note:  While the pre-championship manual does not specifically impose a requirement that a Pool B team must have a record of .500 or better, the NCAA Division III Women's Basketball Committee has expressed their dissatisfaction of being forced to select a Pool B team with a record under .500 to the national tournament.  At the April, 2017 meeting, the DIII women's basketball committee made a recommendation that the Pool B bid be forfeited in favor of an additional Pool C team if, at selection time, no Pool B candidate has a record of .500 or better vs Div III teams in the primary criteria.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Couple of items:
- Don't expect the WBB committee's request to be granted as of yet. There has been talk of this elsewhere and I have read no where that the Championship Committee or any where higher will adopt this idea. I don't believe it has gone any further than the recommendation which means it is basically dead in the water for right now. That said, I will certainly ask around to make sure I didn't miss it. I just wouldn't hold one's breath.
- Next year, the Pool B will lose two members. It was just announced today that the NAC will be accepting UMPI and SUNY-Canton to their conference starting next summer. That could come close to bringing Pool B to a close for 2018-19.

HOWEVER, with new members being added and with the teams currently being reduced to eight - the math is REALLY close. Also, Thomas More becomes a Pool B member next year if they don't find a home before that (doubtful). Thus, Pool B could be alive and well and at the very least have a solid representative for the short term.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

9 is the minimum for the men right now - they were supposed to get their Pool B bid back next year, but now probably won't.  It can't be any less than 9 for the women, since they have more teams.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

deiscanton

I honestly did not think that the Championships Committee would grant a minimum requirement of .500 or better for Pool B teams when the women's basketball committee is the only one of the d3 sports committees requesting it.  The requirement needs to be for all d3 sports across the board if it is to be implemented.  It also does not prevent an under .500 team from winning its conference tournament and automatically qualifying via Pool A.

I believe that UC Santa Cruz got a Pool B bid for the women's soccer tournament this year despite having an under .500 mark vs DIII opponents.  UC Santa Cruz had the strongest SOS of the Pool B soccer candidates and was the only one to play a regionally ranked opponent.  To my knowledge, I didn't see the DIII Women's Soccer committee having a problem with it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 27, 2017, 11:22:19 AM

9 is the minimum for the men right now - they were supposed to get their Pool B bid back next year, but now probably won't.  It can't be any less than 9 for the women, since they have more teams.

It is all about that ratio which is about the only thing I don't have memorized. I just know it can be a moving target sometimes and I didn't want to assume anything.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on November 27, 2017, 11:43:01 AM
I honestly did not think that the Championships Committee would grant a minimum requirement of .500 or better for Pool B teams when the women's basketball committee is the only one of the d3 sports committees requesting it.  The requirement needs to be for all d3 sports across the board if it is to be implemented.  It also does not prevent an under .500 team from winning its conference tournament and automatically qualifying via Pool A.

I believe that UC Santa Cruz got a Pool B bid for the women's soccer tournament this year despite having an under .500 mark vs DIII opponents.  UC Santa Cruz had the strongest SOS of the Pool B soccer candidates and was the only one to play a regionally ranked opponent.  To my knowledge, I didn't see the DIII Women's Soccer committee having a problem with it.

Yes - that was the other place I have seen the "problem" mentioned... women's soccer. Not sure if the committee had a problem with it or not, but fans certainly did. LOL

And you are right, we have seen AQs given out to sub-.500 teams often, so I can't see the Championships Committee nor membership on the whole suddenly putting a .500 rule in place no matter how well-meaning it could be.

deiscanton

I reviewed the June, 2017 meeting report of the DIII Championships Committee, and in that report, the Championships Committee did not approve the request of the Women's Basketball Committee to impose a .500 or better requirement on Pool B candidates. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on November 28, 2017, 01:58:29 PM
I reviewed the June, 2017 meeting report of the DIII Championships Committee, and in that report, the Championships Committee did not approve the request of the Women's Basketball Committee to impose a .500 or better requirement on Pool B candidates.

I knew I read it somewhere.. thanks deis.

Looking forward to seeing your men's soccer program in action this weekend, BTW.

deiscanton

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 28, 2017, 04:04:25 PM

Looking forward to seeing your men's soccer program in action this weekend, BTW.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Now to see if I can install the NCAA Sports app on my prepaid smartphone to watch the soccer games, since the Amazon App store does not offer it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: deiscanton on November 28, 2017, 04:45:38 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 28, 2017, 04:04:25 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it.  Now to see if I can install the NCAA Sports app on my prepaid smartphone to watch the soccer games, since the Amazon App store does not offer it.

Don't need the app if you have a link to the game(s), I believe. But I hear ya.