Summary of D3 Baseball Conferences

Started by Ralph Turner, March 11, 2009, 12:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Man

Ralph,

LEC is a double elimination Six team tourney at the #1 seed May 11th through 14th with 15th a rain date.

OM

rob

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 17, 2011, 07:59:59 PM
Update of this topic covers the basic data for the conferences in D-III for the 2011 season. (In progress.)

I encourage fans to go to your favorite conference websites and then post the information about the conference on this site.  Consider this an open board.  Cut and paste as needed.  Please proofread and correct as needed. This should help us become more familiar with D-III.  If you do not want to bother with the tabular format, then post the information in the format listed below, and we can put it in later.  Thanks to all who contribute.  As always, corrections and contributions are always appreciated.

Conference| Region |Divisions (Yes/No) |Divisions (e.g.,East/West)| Round Robin (Single/double) |# of Conf/ Division games |Format (e.g., Friday 9 Sat 7/9 DH)| Tourney to determine the AQ (Yes/No)

Pool A Conferences

Conference RegionDivisions (Yes/No) Divisions (East/West)Round Robin (Single/double) # of Conf/Div gamesConf/Div Game FormatTourney (Yes/No)
AMCCMideastNoN/ASingle/2 gm18DH's various days 7/7Yes; Top 6
ASCWestYesEast/WestSingle/3 gm18/21FR 9; SA 7/9 DHYes
CACSouthNoN/ASingle/3 gm18FR 9; SA 7/9Yes
CCMid-AtlNoN/ASingle/2 gm18DH 7/9Yes
CCCNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/2 gm22DH 7/7Yes
CCIWCentralNoN/ASingle/3 gm21DH = 9/9; Sat DH/Sun single games*Yes
CSACMid-AtlNoN/ASingle/3 gm15Single 9/ DH 7/7Yes
GNACNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/2 gm147/7 DH's Sa/SUYes-Top 6
HCACMideastNoN/ASingle/3 gm24Single 9/ DH 7/9Yes
IIACCentralNoN/ASingle/3 gm24Single 9/ DH 7/7Yes
LANDMA,NY,SNoN/ASingle/3 gm18SA 7/7; SU 9Yes
LECNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/2 gm149/9 DHYes
LLNew YorkNoN/ASingle/4 gm24DH/DH 7/7 or 7/9Yes
MACCMid-AtlNoN/ASingle/3 gm15Single Home Fr/ DH Away SaYes
MACFMid-AtlNoN/ASingle/2 gm16VariableYes
MIAAMid-EastNoN/ASingle/4 gm28Home DH/ Away DHNo
MIACMidwestNoN/ASingle/2 gm20DH; H or AYes
MWCCentralYesNorth/SouthSingle/4 gm16/129/9 DH usually Sa/SuYes
NESCACNew EnglandYesEast/WestSingle/ 3 gm12Single 9/DH 7/9Yes
NEWMACNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/2 gm12DH 7/9Yes
NJACMid-AtlNoN/ASingle/2 gm18DH 9/9Yes
NACNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/4 gm16DH's 7/7 and 7/7Yes
NATHCMidwestNoN/ASingle/2 gm22DH's 9/9Yes
NCACMid-eastYesEast/WestSingle/ 4 gm16DH's Sa 7/7 & Su 7/7Yes
NEACNY,MANoN/ASingle/2 gm12DH 7/7Yes
NECCNew EnglandNoN/ASingle/2 gm10DH 7/7Yes
NWCWestNoN/ASingle/4 gm32Sa DH/Su DHNo
OACMid-EastNoN/ASingle/2 gm18DH 7/9Yes
ODACSouthNoN/ASingle/2 gm187/9 DHYes; top 6
Pres ACMid-EastNoN/ASingle/3 gm18Single 9/DH 7/7Yes
SCIACWestNoN/ASingle/3 gm21FR 9 Home; SA 9/9 AwayNo
SCACME,S,WYesEast/WestSingle/ Double15*/20See notesYes
SKYNew YorkNoN/ASingle/2 gm16DH 9/7Yes
SLIACCentralNoN/ASingle/Double24Home 9 Away 7/7Yes
SUNYACNew YorkNoN/ASingle/2 gm12Sa/Su 9/9 DHYes
UMACMidwestNoN/ASingle/3 gm21Fr DH 7/7 Sa 9Yes
USACSouthNoNoSingle/2gm129/9Yes
WIACMidwestNoN/ASingle/4 gm24SaSu DH 9/9 twice or Wed DH 9/9Yes

Hey Ralph-
Beginning this year SUNYAC plays 18 Conference games
-Thanks

Piobark

Starting in 2010, the NWC moved to a three game weekend series - DH Sat and single game Sunday.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Piobark on May 17, 2011, 09:04:56 AM
Starting in 2010, the NWC moved to a three game weekend series - DH Sat and single game Sunday.

Does that mean they will play less conference games? I think they played a four-game series in year's past, correct?

This is a smart move as it allows them to boost their SoSs.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Piobark

For the last two years, they have been playing fewer in-conference games.

This is what has opened the door for more out of conference series like the 4 game weekend Chapman-Linfield series in late April.

Ralph Turner

With the 9-team SCIAC and the 9-team NWC now having an open date in the middle of the season, I hope that the conferences can work together to make inter-conference games a real possibility.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 17, 2011, 02:02:40 PM
With the 9-team SCIAC and the 9-team NWC now having an open date in the middle of the season, I hope that the conferences can work together to make inter-conference games a real possibility.

$$$$$$$$$. If they can work out an aggreement so that the traveling team can pick up other games in the region while there it may work out. But do you want to be the NWC team shares the open date with Cal Tech? An SoS killer.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 17, 2011, 02:21:05 PM

$$$$$$$$$. If they can work out an aggreemtn so that the traveling team can pick up other games in the region while there it may work out. But do you want to be the NWC team shares the open date with Cal Tech? An SoS killer.

I can not see more travel between NWC and SCIAC other that what is in place today. Chapman has only 2 overnight travel dates per year. This year they played McMurry in Abilene and Linfield in McMinnville. With the emphasis on academics in the SCIAC I just see teams traveling much between the SCIAC and NWC
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

ILVBB

The concept of NWC teams traveling south and SoCal team traveling north may not be practical. Some teams do make a trip now; play 4-5 games. It is a long bus ride from Seattle, Spokane or Portland to SoCal (16-20 hours each way) or alternatively flying a 25 man roster with hotels and ground transporation could easily cost $12,000 or more.

It is going to be real hard to fill up a schedule with D3 schools. There are a handful of NAIA schools that you can schedule and keep costs under control. In my book it is not financially prudent to expect NWC schools to head south or SoCal schools to head north for anything other than a planned "spring trip."

BigPoppa

Quote from: ILVBB on May 17, 2011, 02:29:54 PM
The concept of NWC teams traveling south and SoCal team traveling north may not be practical. Some teams do make a trip now; play 4-5 games. It is a long bus ride from Seattle, Spokane or Portland to SoCal (16-20 hours each way) or alternatively flying a 25 man roster with hotels and ground transporation could easily cost $12,000 or more.

It is going to be real hard to fill up a schedule with D3 schools. There are a handful of NAIA schools that you can schedule and keep costs under control. In my book it is not financially prudent to expect NWC schools to head south or SoCal schools to head north for anything other than a planned "spring trip."

Yet it is "expected" of nearly every cold weather school. They somehow find a way to get it done year after year.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 17, 2011, 02:21:05 PM

$$$$$$$$$. If they can work out an aggreement so that the traveling team can pick up other games in the region while there it may work out. But do you want to be the NWC team shares the open date with Cal Tech? An SoS killer.
Any NWC team might not be able to make the trip that year. (As you said, $$$$$$$$$.) That can be the Cal Tech weekend.

rob

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 17, 2011, 02:33:09 PM
Quote from: ILVBB on May 17, 2011, 02:29:54 PM

Yet it is "expected" of nearly every cold weather school. They somehow find a way to get it done year after year.
Northeast teams, as I'm sure there are many others, travel once or twice down south or Arizona in early Spring for 10-12 games.  The rest of the season is usually spent on a bus for a few hrs. and an overnight stay for each away opponent.  Is the west coast that sparse?  Those teams seem to play alot of games.  Do they just keep playing the same 6 or so teams?

dahlby

Schools from the Midwest and East travel to the West Coast and the SOCAL teams are able to schedule games with them. This helps keep the travel costs down. Chapman traveled to Linfied this year and also has had a home and home series with MCM iin the past.

ILVBB

Is the west coast that sparse?  In reality it is that sparse. The west runs from Arkansas to Seattle; yet only has about 35 schools. That is half the country with less than 10% of the schools. If you split the region again you have Texas, SoCal and the Northwest.

The Texas schools could travel to Minn or WI but that does not make sense when their season doesn't start untill April when most of the Texas schools are winding down.

I know that the school my son attended doesn't begin to cover all the travel costs. Three of the four years parents funded nearly $60K a year to cover travel costs. In that a high percentage of D3's are private I doubt that parents are big on shelling out more money when tution can run as much as $50K per year.

The fact that 70% of the D3's are in cold weather climates which necessitates travel to play early games is irrelevant. These same teams spend most of their season with nominal travel.

Bishopleftiesdad

Starting this year the NCAC will be: DH's Sa 7/9 & Su 7/9

QuoteSchedule consists of one 7-inning contest and one
9-inning contest each day (first game of day is 7
innings. If first game of the day goes into extra
innings, second game becomes a 7-inning game.)

http://www2.northcoast.org/sites/default/files/baseball/Baseball%202012%20-%20divisions%205-11.pdf