BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

Looking at the stats I don't get how Whittier is where they are at:

CLU and Chapman are pretty close in most of the stats. Whittier however is hitting 44 and 33 pts below CLU and Chapman and has a whopping ERA of 5.48.

If you look at the conference only stats Chapman has the clear edge hitting 0.368 vs 0.338 over CLU and ERA of 3.46 vs 4.27 for CLU.

Whittier still lags both teams but is scoring the same amount of runs on a lot fewer hits. Their ERA drops to 4.62, which is still not that great.

Looks like they are good situational hitters and have some luck on their side.

I guess we will see how real they are after the Chapman/Whittier series.  I think Chapman has the edge going into the final couple of weeks. It will be interesting if CLU can right the ship and start playing the kind of ball they were earlier in the season. 

Lets Play Two

I guess that's why they actually play the games.  Bottom line...they are getting it done on the field and that's the only statistic that matters.  They were terrible in Arizona the first week of the season, but have gone 20-6 since. 

CrashDavisD3

Baseball is more than hard stats...A few years back a team with a.500 record with only 20 wins went into their conference tournament as the #4 seed. They went on to win the DIII National Championship. Rule 1 is win to play another day. Keep doing this until there are no more games to play.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

dahlby

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 16, 2014, 09:59:33 AM
Looking at the stats I don't get how Whittier is where they are at:

CLU and Chapman are pretty close in most of the stats. Whittier however is hitting 44 and 33 pts below CLU and Chapman and has a whopping ERA of 5.48.

If you look at the conference only stats Chapman has the clear edge hitting 0.368 vs 0.338 over CLU and ERA of 3.46 vs 4.27 for CLU.

Whittier still lags both teams but is scoring the same amount of runs on a lot fewer hits. Their ERA drops to 4.62, which is still not that great.

Looks like they are good situational hitters and have some luck on their side.

I guess we will see how real they are after the Chapman/Whittier series.  I think Chapman has the edge going into the final couple of weeks. It will be interesting if CLU can right the ship and start playing the kind of ball they were earlier in the season.

In an odd Non-Conference game tonight, CLU beat Whittier 5-1.

Jack Parkman

Predictions for the weekend in the SCIAC

Chapman takes 2 of 3 from Whittier.  Chapman has had a tough time sweeping teams this year and I think Whittier gets them once.
Oxy take 2 of 3 from Pomona.  Oxy isn't a great hitting team but Pomona has struggled on the mound all year.
Claremont with the sweep of Cal Tech.
Cal Lu takes 2 of 3 from La Verne.  Which Cal Lu team will show up?  Which La Verne team will show up?
Redlands is done with their SCIAC schedule and will need some help to get a top 4 seed. 

I think finishing in the top 3 of the SCIAC after the round robin is key since you don't have to play on the 29th and you don't play the other top seeds.  Plenty of baseball left to be played but I would say the race for the 4th spot is still up in the air and Whittier, Cal Lu and Chapman will all be in the conference tourney.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 18, 2014, 10:30:02 AM

Chapman takes 2 of 3 from Whittier.  Chapman has had a tough time sweeping teams this year and I think Whittier gets them once.
Oxy take 2 of 3 from Pomona.  Oxy isn't a great hitting team but Pomona has struggled on the mound all year.
Cal Lu takes 2 of 3 from La Verne.  Which Cal Lu team will show up?  Which La Verne team will show up?
Redlands is done with their SCIAC schedule and will need some help to get a top 4 seed. 

I think finishing in the top 3 of the SCIAC after the round robin is key since you don't have to play on the 29th and you don't play the other top seeds.  Plenty of baseball left to be played but I would say the race for the 4th spot is still up in the air and Whittier, Cal Lu and Chapman will all be in the conference tourney.

JP:
- Based on your projections going into Round Robin, there will be a three way tie for 1st-3rd, with Occi (has tiebreaker over LV based on 2-1 series) in 4th.  Followed by LV, Redlands PP, CMS, CalT

Coin Flip for 1-3 ??

- #1 plays 5,6,8,9:   LV, Redlands, CMS, CalT
- #2 plays 4,6,7,9:   Occi, Redlands, PP, CalT   
- #3 plays 4,5,7,8:   Occi, LV, PP, CMS
- #4 plays 2,3,8,9:   ?, ?, CMS, CalT
- #5 plays 1,3,7,9:   ?, ?, PP, CalT
- #6 plays 1,2,7,8:   ?, ?, PP, CMS

Jack Parkman

Quote from: SoCalSoxFan on April 18, 2014, 12:56:35 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 18, 2014, 10:30:02 AM

JP:
- Based on your projections going into Round Robin, there will be a three way tie for 1st-3rd, with Occi (has tiebreaker over LV based on 2-1 series) in 4th.  Followed by LV, Redlands PP, CMS, CalT

Coin Flip for 1-3 ??

- #1 plays 5,6,8,9:   LV, Redlands, CMS, CalT
- #2 plays 4,6,7,9:   Occi, Redlands, PP, CalT   
- #3 plays 4,5,7,8:   Occi, LV, PP, CMS
- #4 plays 2,3,8,9:   ?, ?, CMS, CalT
- #5 plays 1,3,7,9:   ?, ?, PP, CalT
- #6 plays 1,2,7,8:   ?, ?, PP, CMS

That would be pretty crazy but my projections have been pretty bad all year so who knows....

108 Stitches

Can someone explain to me the logic of this round robin thing?

What value is there in playing CMS and CalTech? It is pretty much a foregone conclusion the top two seeds are going to come out on the top, so why not just go to your conference championships and be done with it?

Whatagame

Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 18, 2014, 01:35:17 PM

What value is there in playing CMS and CalTech? It is pretty much a foregone conclusion the top two seeds are going to come out on the top, so why not just go to your conference championships and be done with it?

Someone on this board (can't remember who) surmised that with the addition of Chapman, making SCIAC a 9 team conference, the round robin is a way to get a 28 game conference schedule that is a happy medium as opposed to a 24 game (play every team 3 times) and a 32 game conference schedule (play each team 4 times)

I don't know if that answers the "logic" part of your question though.....

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Whatagame on April 18, 2014, 01:46:26 PM
Quote from: 108 Stitches on April 18, 2014, 01:35:17 PM

Someone on this board (can't remember who) surmised that with the addition of Chapman, making SCIAC a 9 team conference, the round robin is a way to get a 28 game conference schedule that is a happy medium as opposed to a 24 game (play every team 3 times) and a 32 game conference schedule (play each team 4 times)

I don't know if that answers the "logic" part of your question though.....

I think that was me that mentioned it but that pretty much is the only thing I can come up with.  Before Chapman all SCIAC teams played a 3-game series which made for 21 games and then played each other in single games at the end of the year to run the total to 28 games.  If they did the same thing with Chapman now in the league it would make for 32 conference games and very little opportunity to travel or have someone come in for non-conference games.  I think it allows the non-conference games to be spread out a little more.  Example- Chapman played Cal St. San Marcos and went to Texas during the first week of the season.  That would leave them only 4 non-conference games to fill the rest of the season.  Couple that with the early start dates of the West Coast teams it really just seems like it works better.  It also allows the NWC teams an opportunity to come down for some games.

Logical?  Maybe, maybe not, but it gives the 3rd,4th,5th and 6th place teams another chance at the end of the year.

108 Stitches

First off CalTech is a joke, they should be removed from the conference and go club. They probably would not win very many games in club ball, but this is a disservice to school, the conference and all involved. If I am not mistaken the round robin woo haa adds up to 30 games anyway. Make them meaningful IMO.

Whatagame

I actually think a round robin-type thing would be cool for the NWC, as they play a 24 game conference schedule now.  This leaves 16 games to be filled by non-conference opponents.  Given that very few schools will travel to the Northwest, its tough to fill 16 slots with out-of-conference D3 opponents.  Basically, the schools have to travel. Thus some schools play a lot of NAIA teams, which really serves no purpose.  It would be nice to reduce the non-conference to about 10-12 games. However, given the distance between NWC schools, the round robin format as utilized in the SCIAC is pretty unfeasible.