Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 31, 2014, 03:13:54 PM
From Facebook:
QuoteBCH Sports
52 minutes ago
BREAKING NEWS: McMurry announced it will withdraw its bid to go to Division II. Will stay at Division III for all athletic programs

Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone. Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone.
Pat, my email to you just went out.  Facebook is NSFW.   :)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 31, 2014, 03:30:07 PM
From Facebook:
QuoteBCH Sports
52 minutes ago
BREAKING NEWS: McMurry announced it will withdraw its bid to go to Division II. Will stay at Division III for all athletic programs

Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone. Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone.

Appreciate the email. Also looking for your commentary, though. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 31, 2014, 03:32:09 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 31, 2014, 03:30:07 PM
From Facebook:
QuoteBCH Sports
52 minutes ago

Appreciate the email. Also looking for your commentary, though. :)
I have continued to have a D3 mindset (e.g., my participation on these boards and at D3baseball.com).   :)

I think that I need the dust to settle to see where this lands.  The powers that be have some important decisions to make. 

With Ron Holmes out as AD, the much of the athletic department may be new.  I just hope that Barbara Crousen stays at Track and Field.  We will see how well President Dr Sandra Harper does with the re-configuration.

Gregory Sager

I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, I see jknezek's point. This could do a lot of damage to McMurry's image, simply because it makes the people who run the school look incompetent (unless there's a well-orchestrated public relations campaign by the school that has at its core a reasonable explanation for the double switch), and I certainly don't wish that kind of public embarrassment upon McMurry. On the other hand, Pat's right -- McMurry does fit the D3 profile very well, and goodness knows we need more D3 schools down in Texas, not fewer. Plus, now Ralph has a rooting interest within the D3 ranks again, and I like that. :)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

jknezek

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 31, 2014, 04:18:11 PM
I have mixed emotions. On the one hand, I see jknezek's point. This could do a lot of damage to McMurry's image, simply because it makes the people who run the school look incompetent (unless there's a well-orchestrated public relations campaign by the school that has at its core a reasonable explanation for the double switch), and I certainly don't wish that kind of public embarrassment upon McMurry. On the other hand, Pat's right -- McMurry does fit the D3 profile very well, and goodness knows we need more D3 schools down in Texas, not fewer. Plus, now Ralph has a rooting interest within the D3 ranks again, and I like that. :)

My point wasn't that it could do a lot of damage. In the grand scheme I think it hardly matters outside of the kids that thought they would play D2 and aren't going to get that chance without transferring. Most people won't care, won't know, won't matter. It's just to a few of us that actually follow this kind of thing that it looks embarrassing. And within the industry itself it will look bad. But overall, I think the school is a D3 school. Not sure what went into the decision to move up, or the decision to rescind, but they seem to fit at the D3 level. In a couple years, all of this will be a distant asterisk in the history books.

That being said, for a brief period of time, to the few people around that care, it looks ridiculous. Maybe it will be a good warning case to other schools going forward.

sunny

University of New Orleans is mad that McMurry stole its gimmick.

In all seriousness, despite the bumbling, it appears the right choice was eventually made in both cases. Well, in UNO's case, I think it's clear Division III wasn't the right choice because it seemed no one involved with the school really even understood what Division III was about nor wanted to be here. I remain somewhat unconvinced that Division I is the right place for UNO, however.

cush

I'm sure the SCAC would love to have them, maybe moving to another conference saves some face. That would put the SCAC at 5 football school's at 9 overall. They would probably need to even things out at 10 with another football school invite and than hope current member starts a football program to get to 7. CC got the money but maybe not the will. I did read centenary enrollment is way down, below 700. I'm not sure how they can sustain at such levels but starting a football team could bring up the numbers and they still have a nice endowment to pay for it.

Bishopleftiesdad

Makes you wonder how much thought and research went into moving to d2 in the first place. I am interested to hear the reasons for abandoning the move to d2.

I am glad they are back though. I do not have any connection to Texas, except a sister living in Austin, but looking at McMuuy's profile, D3 seems like such a perfect fit, I never understood the move.

Ralph Turner

Thanks to Bmo for this link from the ASC Football board.  Belhaven has hired Hal Mumme. There is speculation that Belhaven will move to D-3.

http://www.wjtv.com/story/24698422/belhaven-applies-for-ncaa-division-iii-membership

Gregory Sager

That's timely and convenient for the ASC, as Belhaven should make a nice replacement member for Mississippi College.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 15, 2014, 10:53:17 PM
That's timely and convenient for the ASC, as Belhaven should make a nice replacement member for Mississippi College.
After all of these years...Belhaven would have made a great travel partner for Miss College and made that trip much easier.  It is 180 miles from Pineville LA to Clinton MS!

Louisiana College could have moved over to become travel partners with ETBU, an easy 2 1/4 hour trip up the interstate. LeTourneau pairs UT-Tyler, a 30 minute trip.  The only orphan would have Ozarks in Clarksville AR if Austin College and UT-Dallas are in the ASC-East.  Otherwise, UT-Dallas and Ozarks are the travel partners.

RLW

When will start playing in DIII and when will we see a schedule from Belhaven and McMurry?

Ralph Turner

The move back to D-3 for McMurry has to go thru administrative channels in the NCAA.

Belhaven has to be approved, so I would expect some word on the timeline for Belhaven about July 15th.

I imagine the ASC will take them if they ask to join.  They play football.

Ralph Turner

I have lost track of where the schools stand on the provisional ladder.

Centenary LA becomes a full member in July 2014. The same for Berry.

How far along is everyone else?  Southern Virginia?  SUNY-Alfred? SUNY-Canton? Houghton? Sarah Lawrence?  Valley Forge Christian?

I will appreciate the updates.

Knightstalker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 03, 2014, 09:31:31 PM
I have lost track of where the schools stand on the provisional ladder.

Centenary LA becomes a full member in July 2014. The same for Berry.

How far along is everyone else?  Southern Virginia?  SUNY-Alfred? SUNY-Canton? Houghton? Sarah Lawrence?  Valley Forge Christian?

I will appreciate the updates.

I believe that Houghton is in their second year of the process.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).