MBB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by diehardfan, March 05, 2005, 10:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old School

Wanna get a bite to eat prior to the game in Stevens Point?  

Hilltop Pub and Grill (right when you come in on HWY 10 (just after Interstate 39 intersection)  

Guu's Tavern and Grill-downtown on Main St.  

Ella's Resturant-just west of Quandt Fieldhouse (on Division St., aka Business 51).  

Springville Wharf-off the beaten path, but well worth it. More into Plover (south of SP).  

Michele's Restaurant and Catering-for the upper class fans :-). reservations appreciated. On Division St., just north of Ella's.  

Hibachi Joe's-Chinese & Japanese Cuisine  

Red Mill Supper Club-Westside, going out of town on HWY 10. Nice place to eat, but not as upscale as Michele's.  

Bill's Pizza Shop-on Main St. downtown, near Guu's, right near Hibachi Joe's.  

I'm sure other Pointer fans and Point natives could help out, if you ask nicely. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Point Special

And here are the lodging options.  Get your reservations soon, as there is alot going on in Point next weekend.

http://www.spacvb.com/lodging.html" target=_top>http://www.spacvb.com/lodging.html

If you can't find anything there, do a google search for Wausau or Wisconsin Rapids (1/2 hour drives each).

IWUMich

Congratulations Hanover on the win over IWU.  I told Coach Beitzel post-game that you guys won fair and square. You are a quality group of guys with a quality coach. Now that I am back in Michigan, I just wanted to post that and wish you good luck in the tournament.

Old School

Traveling Fans' Itinerary Should Be:

1. Go tour the POINT (BEER) BREWERY Friday early afternoon.

2. Depending on your taste, eat at one of the fine establishments listed above.
2a.  Hilltop Pub has a great fishfry (come on, it's Wisconsin), as does Guu's on Main.
2b. Springville Wharf has great cheese bread.  
2c. Bill's Pizza has great, well, pizza.

3. Go to Belt's Ice Cream for dessert.  We're not talking McDonald's quality ice cream here.  It just opened last Friday and it's been a tradition to camp out the night before to be the first in line.  Great ice cream, sundaes, flurries etc.

4. After the game, head down to The Final Score to celebrate or drink your sorrows away.  It's a nice "sports bar" and a lot of fans head down there after and prior to the game.  There is a big screen tv, among other tvs and plenty of room. They also serve good food there.

d-mac

Basketball in Division III at this time of year... is so SWEET!!!
32 teams still have a chance at two national titles... and many teams weren't expected to get this far.
Tonight, a preview of this weekend's Sweet 16 action and preparations for the Final Four... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Wooster, Wittenburg, and Illinois Wesleyan are out of the men's bracket!
So, who in the world is still left in the Men's Road to Salem?
Well... UW-Stevens Point, Amherst, and St. John Fisher.

Trinity (TX) is still alive. Most thought they would be playing IWU on Friday night, instead they face Hanover. Tonight, we will chat with Coach Pat Cunningham about his Tigers. Their road to the Final Four is going to be a tough one.

Then there is John Carrol, who defeated Wittenburg to earn their Sweet 16 berth. Coach Mike Moran seems to have his Blue Streaks team clicking on all the right cylinders, having won the OAC before their run in the NCAA's. We will chat with Coach Moran about his upcoming game against Albion... who got by on what some say is a questionable win over Wooster.

On the women's side, not too many upsets, even though DePauw and Buena Vista were eliminated on their Road to Virginia Beach.

Wesleyan continues to surprise as they took out Staten Island to earn their Sweet 16 game against Springfield. Coach Kate Mullen will join us live on the air to talk about how this season's finish isn't what the Cardinals planned on... and how they're looking to keep dancing.

George Fox will be earning a lot of frequent flyer miles this weekend. Coach Scott Rueck has his Bruins playing very good basketball and will take on St. Benedict, who upset Buena Vista. But how are the Bruins going to handle flying across the entire length of the nation for the game(s)... we will ask Coach Rueck.

And Salem is getting ready for their tenth Men's Final Four. ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston will join us live on the air to let us know how the preparations are going. How you can get tickets! And what else you can expect and should do while in the great city of Salem (and Roanoke), Virginia.

Oh... and of course we will chat with our regional reporters - Gordon Mann will actually join us in studio. And we will certainly take your questions and comments on the air and try and cover a very busy week of basketball.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen... and be a part of the show.

pantherpride10

from Around the Nation:

"Streaky might be the best word to describe the Panthers..."

Ummm, not sure about that one.  But to his credit, he's probably never watched them play.

(Message edited by Pantherpride10 on March 10, 2005)

sampson

Yeah, I would not call them streaky.  They have good shooters and work the ball with great precision, which could lead to wide open shots.  This is one reason I think they have shot so well at times.  Obviously there are times that they are just in one of those zones, but it is easier to get into one of those zones when you pass the ball as well as they do.

Terry

I agree Sampson, over the years the one thing HC has always done well is move the ball and be unselfish.  I hope they can win 2 up north and head to the next round.

sampson

Hanover up 1 at the half 29-28
Chrin and Dennis with 3 fouls each.

Hanover not playing very well and trinity has not missed a 3 yet in the game they are 4-4.

Old School

Trinity holds on in overtime, after blowing a late lead in regulation.  Very exciting game from a nuetral fan's standpoint.  Point won the night cap.

Pat Coleman

News of importance to HCAC fans on the front page.

sampson

So what are the HCAC fans' thoughts on Rose-Hulman rejoining the conference?  Doubt I will get a response, but thought I would ask.  I think it is a good addition to the conference and look forward to catching their games against Hanover.

David Collinge

I'm glad Rose is (back) in the conference, but it seems to me that this isn't the last change.  DPU's presence in the SCAC is now even weirder than before, leaving the SCAC both uneven (i.e., odd) and unbalanced.  And a 9-team HCAC is odd as well, both literally and figuratively.  I think there may be other moves in the offing.

Warren Thompson

DC:

There may be 'other moves in the offing'? Just out of curiosity, who or what?

BTW might any of those other venues likely to move be located at 19th & Martindale in Indianapolis? Advise soonest -- if not sooner, please.

(Message edited by wt on April 20, 2005)

David Collinge

I don't know what might happen, I just feel like something will happen.  I can't see DPU staying in the SCAC as it is currently constituted; either they leave (I know they say they won't) or someone somewhere gets added--who that might be I have no clue.  The 9-team HCAC is less of a problem, but the PrAC is hungry for schools and they've just colonized Cincinnati, so maybe MSJ might be lured to the Prexy League?  It's all just idle speculation, but the current state seems to me to be out of equilibrium.

I thought there was an old train station at 19th & Martindale, but maybe not.  The fella who told me so was so drunk that he didn't even know who he was talking to!