University Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jam40jeff

Case's kicking game has come a long way since the Denison game. :)  Up 13-6 at half.

jam40jeff

Case wins 16-6 and only gives up 80 yards rushing.

CMU beats Chicago 28-13.

ADL70

WUStL rushing: 1st qtr  42yds  rest of game 38.

I'm not saying it's a cinch win, but I have a good feeling that Spartan D can handle CMU run game based upon last year's shutout.

CWRU has clinched at least a share of the UAA title.  That's 4 out of last 5 years.

Congrats to to MSoc which shared title w/WUStL and gets the AQ.

WSoc should also be in the playoffs as they were ranked #`1 in region, before tie w/Rochester.

VB finished 4th and 1-3 were ranked in the top 20.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ExTartanPlayer

Good to see CMU pick up their fifth win after last year's losing season snapped the 30-some year streak of .500-plus seasons.

ADL, I agree that CWRU should be the favorite against CMU, but I wouldn't count them out, especially after CMU's nice win vs. Chicago this week.  This year's CMU team is obviously improved over last year's (which gave up 61 points to Chicago).

All four UAA teams guaranteed to finish .500 or better.  Perhaps we're not the toughest league in Division III, but we do all right for a four-team, academics-first league.

Playoff implications:

CWRU in the running for Pool B/C berth with victory next week.  I've previously stated that I do not believe CWRU is truly worthy of a berth this year, but if they do get a bid I will be pulling for them 100% as a huge overall UAA fan.

UAA title scenarios:

CWRU wins outright with win over CMU next week.

If CMU beats CWRU and WashU beats Chicago, we have a three-way tie for title.

If CMU beats CWRU and Chicago beats WashU, then CMU-CWRU tie at 2-1, and CMU wins by virtue of head-to-head victory.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ADL70

#1 rush O v #1 rush...Showdown on Forbes Avenue

Yes, in a rational world Illinois Wesleyan would get in ahead of CWRU, but this is the NCAA.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

E.115

Case Western has finally arrived on the radar of the D3 Top 25, receiving 2 votes:

http://d3football.com/top25/2011/week10

ADL70

It's rivalry week in the UAA

Chicago at WUStL playing for the Founders Cup.  Bears lead the series 17-7

CWRU at CMU in the Academic Bowl.  Tartans hold a 26-14 edge.

This year's Spartan senior class in playing for a third outright UAA title, a 37-5 record (pending a playoff game), and a playoff game would be the third during their careers.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

Good victory by Case over our arch-rivals to win the UAA for the fourth time in the last five years.

Case 38
CMU 24

Let's hope that the NCAA playoff selection committee forgives our little mishap about Rochester, and gives us a bid!

ADL70

Salisbury steak on the Spartan's menu?

All indications are the season is not over.

CMU rushing 68 yards, great job by the D (aidede by 6 sacks for -41).  English adds two to his sack total, recovers a fumble, and returns an int 43 yards!
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ExTartanPlayer

I am sorry, CWRU fans, that you did not receive a playoff berth.  Perhaps you should have by the letter of the bylaws (with the focus on regional record); but I feel that justice was done.

The only real guarantee in Pool B is an undefeated overall record, and your lone blemish came against a very mediocre team. 
Had you been undefeated, I would have surely been pleading your case.

Tough break for the CWRU seniors, though.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ADL70

We coulda/shoulda had another shot at Wabash.

Over on the Wabas, err NCAC board, it was suggested that IC had a stronger SoS and a less-damning loss.

My reply:

Seriously? 0.497 v 0.487  stronger by only .01 and in fact CWRU had a slightly better OWP?

How is getting blown out by 41 points (by an in-region team only ranked #6 in region the week before) less damning than a 10 point loss to a team the rest of the season suggests wouldn't win a rematch and is by the criteria not an in-region loss?

As soon as the two-loss door was opened there are a couple of teams I would have chosen before IC (Randolph-Macon for one had a win over ranked Hampden-Sydney and a .528 SoS).

I had said after CWRU's game on Saturday, "I will be disappointed, but not upset, if CWRU isn't selected."  But then added unless Illinois College is.

And I have to ask: "How can regional rankings apparently change so much from the penultimate to the double-secret final?"  Two teams selected, IC and SJF, had been ranked #9 previous week.  Montclair's loss could explain SJF moving up, but they also leap-frogged Endicott (not that I wouldn't have selected SJF over Endicott).
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

DagarmanSpartan

Disappointing to be sure, but with our starting QB, both of our main RBs, great defensive/special team players like Calabrese, and Coach Deb returning, I suspect we'll be in the running for the playoffs next year.

Good season, nonetheless.

ADL70

HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO