MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

New D3hoops Top 25 has been released and Oswego State remains at #14. Their point total increased from 274 to 307.

Hartwick with their loss in the E8 semifinal fell from #21 to the Others Receiving Votes category. The Hawks would be #26 as their point total fell from 111 to 61.

Hobart after their loss in the Liberty League Final fell out of the poll completely.

NYU picked up a few more points in the ORV category going from 8 points to 22 and would be #30.

jdex

Cortland hosting Alfred on Wednesday eve in ECAC Upstate championship game ...........Some teams enjoy extending seasons even in an 'NIT' context. Evidently, most do not, at least in '12, as evidenced by lack of interest in ECAC Upstate postseason tourney. Cortland and Alfred, that's it. Some regions have six, seven teams continuing this week in ECACs.

jdex

Cortland 33, Alfred 30 at close of opening half. B. Manning 10 pts for RDragons, who are 1x12 in threes. J. Parker 12 for Saxons

jdex

All-SUNYAC teams --

School Pos. Yr. Ht. Hometown/Previous School
Chad Burridge *!+> Oswego F Sr. 6-7 Hannibal, NY/Hannibal
Kyheem Green + Brockport F Sr. 6-5 Huntington Station, NY/Walt Whitman
Jake Simmons *#+ Buffalo State G Jr. 6-0 Rochester, NY/School of the Arts
Hayden Ward + Oswego F Jr. 6-6 Montauk, NY/East Hampton
Jesse Winter + Cortland G Jr. 5-11 Rockville Centre, NY/South Side

Second Team
Name School Pos. Yr. Ht. Hometown/Previous School
Julius Bryant Fredonia F Sr. 6-5 Buffalo, NY/Hutch Tech
Matt Devine New Paltz F Jr. 6-4 Manalapan, NJ/Freehold Township
Sean Michele Oswego G Sr. 5-10 East Rochester, NY/East Rochester
Justin Mitchell + Buffalo State F Jr. 6-5 Buffalo, NY/Bishop Timon-St. Jude
Ryan Riefenhauser Geneseo F Jr. 6-3 Dobbs Ferry, NY/Dobbs Ferry

Third Team
Name School Pos. Yr. Ht. Hometown/Previous School
Connor Fedge Geneseo G So. 6-1 Bellport, NY/Bellport
Brian Manning Cortland G Jr. 6-3 Elmira, NY/Southside
Curtis Pierce + Potsdam G/F Jr. 6-3 Brooklyn, NY/George Westinghouse Voc
Harris Wichard + New Paltz G Sr. 6-0 Merrick, NY/Bellmore JFK
Gerald Williams + Brockport G Sr. 6-0 Rochester, NY/Charlotte

2011-2012 Player of the Year: Chad Burridge, Oswego
2011-2012 Rookie of the Year: Frankie Kelly, Oneonta
Coach of the Year: Jason Leone, Oswego
+ 2010-11 All-Conference > 2010-11 Player of the Year
*2009-10 All-Conference # 2009-10 Rookie of the Year
! 2008-09 Rookie of the Year

jdex

Cortland over Alfred 76-69 in ECAC Upstate title game, RDragons finding the hoop from long range in the second half. Just 1x12 from past the arc in the first 20 minutes, Corts 8x17 in the final including back-to-back from J. Smith and J. Winter providing essentially winning kick. They came after J. Parker brought Alfs within 65-64 at 3:40. Dragons margin 72-64 at 1:02.
Alfred held 57-54 edge at 7:29 on S. Curran trey which at the time had Saxons 9x18 in threes. Winter soon responded for CSt for 59-57 advantage. Parker tied it at 59 following T. Costello block at 5:34. H. Hefele steal created his layup and accompanying FT, but Costello nailed a trey at 4:29 for 62-62 tie. His FT seconds later had Alfs up by one. Smith sent Corts ahead for good from beyond the arc.
Smith 19 pts(5x11fg, 4x8 3s); Winter 16 pts(5x11fg, 4x7 3s), 5 assts, 4 rebs; Hefele 16 pts(6x16fg), 6 rebs, 5 assts; B. Manning 12 pts, 8 rebs, 5 assts; K. McMahon 6 pts, 5 rebs. Cortland 27x61fg, 9x29 3s, 13x17ft. Alfred paced by Parker's 19 pts(6x19fg, 4x9 3s), 6 assts, 3 rebs; M. Branche 13 pts(5x6fg, 2x2 3s); D. Lewis 9 rebs. Saxons 25x55fg, 10x23 3s, 9x14ft

magicman

I was going to post my All Conference selections on Tuesday but had a death in the family and was out of town on Tuesday and Wednesday. I see the All Conference team has been released and can't argue with any of the choices. I had the same five players on my first team and 2nd team as the actual team and only had 1 difference on the 3rd team as I had John Perez from Plattsburgh State on that team in place of one of the other players.

I was going to go with Co-Players of the Year with Chad Burridge and Hayden Ward sharing that honor. Their statistics were very close but Hayden actually led the Lakers in scoring in 14 games to 10 for Chad. Hayden also led the team in rebounding in 13 games to 11 for Chad. Chad's point total was 447 to 440 for Hayden. Hayden had 251 rebounds to 199 for Chad, while Chad had 60 blocked shots to 10 for Hayden. They both had 30 steals. Chad earned the defensive edge between the two players and opposing defenses were focused more on stopping Chad which opened things up for Hayden. I just felt that both players contributed so much and when Chad was getting double teamed and struggling to score it seemed like Hayden was always there to pick up the slack. It was tough for me to choose between them this year so I felt they both deserved that honor. I knew of course that the SUNYAC wouldn't give Co-Players of the Year. I also knew that it would be Chad that won it, since he was the reigning Player of the Year and did nothing to lose that title again this year.

Chad was also named the SUNYAC Player of the Week this week which came as no surprise, since he was the MVP of the SUNYAC Tournament this past week.

Rookie of the Year was clearly Frankie Kelly and though Coach Leone had the most talent to work with, running the table in the YAC  certainly merits the honor he was accorded. Heck of a first year in the Conference for him.   

Congratulations to everyone that received these honors. Hopefully more post season awards will follow and Oswego makes a nice run in the NCAA's.

I think Eastern Connecticut will be a tough matchup for the Lakers if both teams win their 1st round game. In fact I just looked at that matchup in Massey's ratings and he shows it to be... Oswego 63  Eastern Connecticut 61. If the Lakers do get to the Sweet 16 they most likely will face Cabrini which would be another 1 or 2 point projected game. Middlebury would probably await the winner of that contest. If Cabrini, Oswego, Middlebury and William Paterson all advance to the Sweet 16 it will be intersting to see who gets to host the Regional. I'm guessing the NCAA might go with Middlebury since they were bypassed last year because St. Mary's was over 500 miles to Middlebury. This year mileage won't be a problem for any of the 4 schools I projected to the sweet 16. Cabrini or Willie Pat would actually involve the least amount of travel between the 4 schools as they are only a couple of hours away from each other, but I think the NCAA will award the regional to Middlebury, providing they advance that far.   

thebear

Magic - I think I agree with you re: Middlebury.  They are in session, Oswego leaves on spring break on the 9th, and Cabrini is on spring break through the 11th.  Willie P is in session, but hotel rooms are hard to find near NYC this time of year.

I think if chalk holds, Middlebury will host the sectionals.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

magicman

Friday's games:

Endicott Gulls at Oswego State Lakers  7:30

Lakers try and make it further this year than they did last year. Good news is they get to host again. More good news is they get a first round matchup that they should win. Oddsmakers have made Oswego a 17 point favorite against the Gulls and that seems like a lot of points for a tournament game. Endicott brings a lot of offense into this game as they average 77.8 ppg and have all 5 starters averaging double figures. They also have plenty of size in the starting lineup with 6'9" Andre Makris and 6'8" Eric Callo. They have 3 backup bigs that go 6'6", 6'7", and 6'8". They're also fairly deep as they have a 10 man rotation that all average double digit minutes.
I know they play in a league that isn't as competitive as the SUNYAC but I don't think this team will be the pushovers that the large margin suggests. I think the Lakers win but I'm going with a 75-67 final. 

Posted this earlier on the Liberty League board.

Skidmore takes on MIT tonight at Hartwick.

I think the Thoroughbreds will find the going tough tonight against the Engineers. Posted line has MIT winning by 12 and I hope that Skidmore doesn't lose by any more than that, but lose they will. MIT has too many weapons and I think they come away with 73-59 win. I hope I'm wrong on this one though.

Hobart vs Ohio Wesleyan

Think the Statesmen can win this game but have a feeling that the Battling Bishops will pull out the victory. Pointspread favors Ohio Wesleyan by 1. I'm going with the Bishops in a close one 72- 68. Hope I'm wrong on this one as well. 

magicman

Farmingdale State Rams at Hartwick Hawks  7:30 PM

Hartwick is a 5 point favorite in this game and will have to contend with the Rams 7'0" AJ Matthews who averages 22.4 ppg and 16.6 rpg. Rams like to push the ball and average 77.6 ppg. I hope the Hawks big three of Sudderly, Blazek, and Ryder can get it done tonight. Rams handled Brockport earlier in the season 81-70, while the Hawks struggled against celler dweller Oneonta. That tells me to pick the Rams but I'm going with Hartwick to win this one 73-70.

Medaile Mavericks vs Eastern Connecticut Warriors at Oswego

This game started at 5:30 and it's been underway for an hour and Medaile is losing 37-28  with 14 minutes left in the game. Last night I went on the LEC board and predicted that Medaille would lose by double digits. I think it will be 71-60.

magicman

Ithaca Bombers at Staten Island Dolphins  7:30 PM

The Dolphins are favored to win this game by 10 points and I think that's probably the way it'll end up. Staten Island owns a win over Stevens Tech who beat Ithaca twice this season in E8 conference play. The Dolphins also handled Medgar Evers twice by large margins (27 pts and 12 points) and Medgar Evers handed Oswego 1 of it's 3 losses. Which Ithaca team will show up? The one that beat Hartwick twice and Nazareth 3 times or the one that got beat by 1-24 Elmira, giving the Soaring Eagles their only win of the season. I think this will be a high scoring affair and I'm taking the home team to pick up the win. Staten Island 85 Ithaca 78

Morrisville State Mustangs at Middlebury Panthers  7:30 PM

The Mustangs will get a rude welcome to their first foray into the NCAA tournament as they tangle with the Panthers. Oddsmakers have made this the 2nd biggest pointspread of the 1st round games as the Mustangs are 23 point underdogs. They'll be lucky to keep it that close but Panther Coach Jeff Brown will bring in his reserves early if the margin gets large. Even his reserves could beat the Mustangs by 23. Panthers take this game 90-62.

magicman

magicman

Oswego State getting manhandled by Endicott 56-43 with 11:44 left to play

magicman

Oswego has got it to single digits at 58-50 with 9 minutes to go.

magicman

Oswego down 62-56 with 4:52 left. Lakers are fighting back. Come on Guys.

magicman

Oswego goes to the free throw line down 66-64 with 1 minute to go. They make them both and tie up the game. Endicott turns the ball over and Oswego has a chance to win the game. They go to Biurridge who misses the shot but gets in a scramble for the ball and a jump ball is called with Oswego having the arrow.  11 seconds left and a time out called by Oswego. Endicott now calls a time out. Oswego works inside and misses the shot. Endicott comes down and is called for a charging foul. with 5 seconds left. Oswego inbounds the ball to Hayden Ward and he is fouled with no time on the clock. He goes to the line and misses both free throws and the game is headed for overtime.