Pine Manor College to become part of Boston College

Started by Ron Boerger, May 14, 2020, 08:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Pine Manor College, a D3 independent, becomes the first school in the division to fall as a result of COVID (and longstanding other) issues.  The school was down to about 300 students prior to this announcement.

http://www.pmc.edu/pine-manor-college-and-boston-college-announce-institutional-agreement
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/13/metro/boston-college-will-take-over-pine-manor/

jknezek

Sad but hardly surprising. Doubt they would have made it even without Covid-19...

Jonny Utah

Quote from: jknezek on May 14, 2020, 09:00:52 AM
Sad but hardly surprising. Doubt they would have made it even without Covid-19...

Yea this place depended heavily on federally funded vouchers for students tuition (somewhere in the 90%+ of students here went for free).  I actually worked with people at this school as part of my job and the writing has been on the wall for a long time.  I think they were actually looking for an ending like this, as the Mt. Ida closure left a real bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths around here for various reasons.  The admin at PMC did not want to see the school fall into that trap (or what happened to Newbury), and at least kids will have a chance to continue for two years, and then have the "opportunity" to apply to Boston College to continue their education. 

gordonmann

Yeah, Pat asked what the status of athletics will be at PMC. We don't know if they will immediately halt or the school will compete for a year or two until the merger is completed, like Polytechnic did with NYU.

Also, depending on how you classify it, PMC is the second D3 school, following MacMurray in Illinois (not McMurry in Texas).

Pat Coleman

Email to PMC athletics this morning has not yet been returned. Called the athletic office and the listed media relations contact for the college a little while ago and left messages for both.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 14, 2020, 04:33:28 PM
Email to PMC athletics this morning has not yet been returned. Called the athletic office and the listed media relations contact for the college a little while ago and left messages for both.

The odd thing is that Pine Manor has actually allowed students to stay in dorms on campus for some odd reason as Massachusetts has been very strict on the covid restrictions.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jonny Utah on May 14, 2020, 07:37:42 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 14, 2020, 04:33:28 PM

The odd thing is that Pine Manor has actually allowed students to stay in dorms on campus for some odd reason as Massachusetts has been very strict on the covid restrictions.

Perhaps a matter of 'sheltering in place'?  If the restrictions kind of snuck up on them, it may have been better to simply stay there than to go elsewhere.  I don't know; I'm just speculating.