WBB: NEWMAC

Started by Renaissance Coach, December 02, 2004, 06:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyt02

Quote from: remsleep on February 06, 2006, 09:44:46 PM
NEWMACwatcher--
I would have to say that you were right on target back in late December that Coach Graves would have Springfield ready for conference play.  Good insight.  Who has a chance to beat them in conference tournament

She was.  As the school's beat writer she always talked about we'll take it one game at a time.  Lauren O'Conner (freshman center) has really looked impressive as of late.  She had 14 boards in the 2nd half alone tonight and 18 in 29 minutes. 

As for conference tournament play, I'd have to give the best shot to Mount Holyoke.  They have a good little rivalry going on and I think they have the players that could be capable of knocking SC off at home.  I think last year's experience will really come in handy for SC though.  They're going to be a tough out for anyone whether it is in the NEWMAC or NCAA's.

NEWMACwatcher

My prediction ... SC takes care of business at home on Saturday against Clark by 10. In the second game Mount Holyoke overwhelms WPI.

Sunday vs Mount Holyoke is well worth the price of admission. Though it's tough to beat a team three times in a season, SC uses the home court advantage and a 3 point win.

How many teams from the NEWMAC will make the dance? Tough to keep the runner up from this conference on the sidelines in my opinion.

mattyt02

Amazing battle today.  SC beat MHC 57-51. Back and forth, a game of runs.  Erin Schwartz for Springfield took over in the last couple minutes to give SC the lead, and they made their free throws down the stretch.

Longtooth

MITdad

NEWMAC Announces 2006 Women's Basketball All Conference Teams
Northampton, MA: Springfield College's Courtney Parvin (Brackney, PA) and coach Naomi Graves took two of the prestigious NEWMAC awards today voted upon by the conference women's basketball coaches. Parvin, a senior forward, was voted the Most Valuable Player while Graves picked up Coach of the year honors. The Pride's sophomore guard, Christine Cotter (Stoughton, MA) also was selected to the All Conference Second Team. Wheaton's Krystin Hickey (Manchester, NH) was voted Rookie of the Year and received Second Team All Conference recognition.

Clark University placed two players on the All Conference teams. Senior guard Andrea Comen (Holden, MA) earned First Team honors while junior center Ashley Auclair (Williamsburg, MA) was named to the Second Team.

Senior center Jonee Billy (New York, NY) and junior guard Joeanna Silvey (Boston, MA) were selected to the First and Second Teams respectively from tournament runner-up Mount Holyoke College.

Babson's Suzy Ward (North Attleboro, MA) and Coast Guard's Natalie Moyer (Oklahoma City, OK) round out the All Conference First Team while WPI's Meghan Pajonas (Southlake, TX) completes the Second Team.

Springfield College received the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament and will face Messiah College in Grantham, PA on Friday, March 3rd. Mount Holyoke College earned the number one seed in the ECAC Division III New England Championship and will host Western Connecticut on Wednesday, March 1 at 7 p.m.

2006 NEWMAC Women's Basketball Awards

Player of the Year: Courtney Parvin, Springfield College
Rookie of the Year: Krystin Hickey, Wheaton College
Coach of the Year: Naomi Graves, Springfield College

First Team
Jonee Billy, Mount Holyoke College
Andrea Comen, Clark University
Natalie Moyer, Coast Guard
Courtney Parvin, Springfield College
Suzy Ward, Babson College

Second Team
Ashley Auclair, Clark University
Christine Cotter, Springfield College
Krystin Hickey, Wheaton College
Meghan Pajonas, WPI
Joeanna Silvey, Mount Holyoke College

remsleep

NEWMAC followers....TIME TO WAKE UP!!!!!!!
Let's hear about your team!  Springfield,Mt.Holyoke, Clark...where are you?
It seems to me that there are no great teams in the conference this season BUT I expect it to be extemely competitive.  What's with WPI punking Springfield today?  Look for Clark to be pretty good by season's end, though they let one get away at Wheaton today.  Can't figure out Mount Holyoke yet...certainly off to a good start record wise.  Moyer doing her thing at CG but where is everyone else?  Smith, Wellesley not factors, not sure about MIT yet.  Babson?

Let's get this board going....it get's tiresome to read current stuff only about the topsiders from the NESCAC

atn alum

I agree...especially in a year where the league title appears to be more up-for-grabs than usual...Just not sure that there are many "diehard" fans out there...

for those who are, feel free to tune in to our coast guard basketball broadcasts...schedule is online at www.cgasports.com

remsleep

OK, one more time...NEWMAC fans, time to wake up!!!  I know you're out there because I see you at some games.   This is not the best conference around, but you would be hard pressed to find a more evenly matched conference....their are 6 or 7 teams with a legitimate shot at winning the conference tournament.  Some excellent individuals, Pajonas/WPI, Boulier/Babson, Roderigue/Clark, McCarthy and Cotter/Springfield, Moyer/Coast Guard,  Silvey/Mt. Holyoke, Hickey/Wheaton.....any D3 team would be happy to have them.

Have some fun....get out to some of these games and post on this board

pureshooter

wpi,wheaton,mt. holyoke are the best, not necessarily in that order.
wpi has good low post play as  well as the backcourt. the coach has a very good system.
wheaton has some quality wins on the road(wpi, mt. h. tufts)  a win tomorrow wraps up the # 1  spot for the tournament i believe.
mt. holyoke is good but not deep, but have good posts and silvey is dynamite.

remsleep

Quote from: pureshooter on February 09, 2007, 11:51:13 PM
wpi,wheaton,mt. holyoke are the best, not necessarily in that order.
wpi has good low post play as  well as the backcourt. the coach has a very good system.
wheaton has some quality wins on the road(wpi, mt. h. tufts)  a win tomorrow wraps up the # 1  spot for the tournament i believe.
mt. holyoke is good but not deep, but have good posts and silvey is dynamite.
Pureshooter- THANK YOU! - A NEWMAC Women's Post!.  Now, as for your analysis, I think you are on target - as of today.  Babson's balloon popped once they started facing teams that play defense and who prioritize rebounding ( formally Babson's strength).  Smith, Wellesley, MIT are, well...not good.   But as the season moves into crunch time the teams that are actually most interesting are Clark and Springfield.  Springfield traditionally peaks going into the tournament...no reason to think this won't happen again.  There is no team in the conference that puts four viable scoring options on the floor like Springfield does ( Finch, O'Connor, Cotter and McCarthy)---their problem is that they just don't commit to defense.  Nonetheless,  if I were to pick a favorite to win the tournament, despite their ups and downs, it would be The Pride.  Clark is fascinating.  No team has come as far as they have since the beginning of the season.  They have won eight in a row (granted, Smith, Wellesley and MIT were in there) but also have quality wins v. Babson ( at the time), Coast Guard and WPI.  They are my sleeper.  Big game in Worcester on Wednesday night v. Springfield....that one is going to be very interesting....we'll get to see if Clark is ready to take the next step up.

pureshooter

rem,

i see clark and springfield making a push here. the tournament will be interesting. that should be a game tomorrow night @ clark.  both teams are very well coached.

PJ

WPI has a big game tomorrow (Wednesday) at Babson.  I'm hoping this is their year. 

pureshooter

springfield over clark 69-61. both teams now 8-4 in newmac

PJ

WPI 44 - Babson 31.  With Coast Guard's 76-64 win over Wheaton,  they (WPI) are now in first place at 10-2.   :)

pureshooter

wpi has it going, when you can win a game by 13 despite shooting 26%. combined shooting for the game was 27 for 109. ouch!
and springfield is heading into the tournament on a roll
looks like wpi will have the homecourt.