FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

Quote from: hazzben on October 01, 2014, 08:10:17 PM

You guys nailed us in 2012 (at least in that title game), I'm the first to admit it.

But, all this reminiscing about years past gets me distracted by Nebraska's national titles, conference titles, record number of academic all americans, all americans, multiple heismans, etc. You get the picture. What's it say when your coach leaves because he doesn't think he can ever win a Nat'l title there  ??? ;) :D

For your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oO18ZbCLbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRpZl4pImRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDwNGT8KP-E

Historically, your best teams are really good. Well, good enough to make it to the Rose Bowl anyway, not necessarily win one.

Ours, well, you get the picture  ;) ;D

The banter is fun! Hopefully it builds to the point where both teams are playing for something in November! Than we can really talk some smack  :)

"What's it say when when your coach leaves because he doesn't think he can ever win a Nat'l title there?" IT says a lot...about him. I say...good luck with that at Arkansas.

Historically speaking, I suppose this is true if you conveniently leave out the seasons between 1990 and 2000 when UW won more Rose Bowls than any other school from either the Big Ten or the Pac Ten (the only conferences represented back then).

bleedpurple

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 01, 2014, 12:50:45 PM
Switching gears back to the D3 football....I'm excited the WIAC portion of the schedule is kicking off this weekend. Some questions I'm looking to find out:

1. How good (or bad) is Oshkosh now that they finally get to play a DIII opponent this weekend?
2. Is Stevens Point for real? A playoff bid might be on the line when they travel to Platteville on the 18th.
3. Is there an offense in the WIAC that will exploit the inexperienced LBs of UWW? UWP possibly.
4. Will UWRF finally get out of the WIAC cellar? That might be determined on 10/25 when the Blugolds comes to town. FYI, UWEC's first six games are as follows: @ St. Thomas, St. John's, @ Wheaton, UWP, @ UWSP, UWW....yikes  :o

Switching gears back to the D3 football....I'm excited the WIAC portion of the schedule is kicking off this weekend. Some questions I'm looking to find out:

1. How good (or bad) is Oshkosh now that they finally get to play a DIII opponent this weekend?
2. Is Stevens Point for real? A playoff bid might be on the line when they travel to Platteville on the 18th.
3. Is there an offense in the WIAC that will exploit the inexperienced LBs of UWW? UWP possibly.
4. Will UWRF finally get out of the WIAC cellar? That might be determined on 10/25 when the Blugolds comes to town. FYI, UWEC's first six games are as follows: @ St. Thomas, St. John's, @ Wheaton, UWP, @ UWSP, UWW....yikes  :o

1. UW-O will beat Stout this weekend, but I am not sure how much that will tell us.
2. It depends on what you mean by "for real". The NCC team they played on Saturday did not perform anywhere near the level of a Top 5 team.  On NCC's side, neither their passing game nor the coverage in the secondary was acceptable.  NCC needs to really progress or they may not even be a quarterfinalist IMO. However, I am not at all saying they won't.  I still believe they will win the CCIW because they will only be challenged twice and the  first is almost a month away.  However, Point looked very good in many ways.  Do I believe they will be good? Yes. Do I believe they will be better than UW-P or UW-O? Not convinced yet. Do it in the WIAC.
3. I think every team will try. I'm not sure what alternative they have. I doubt anyone will make a living running on UW-W. The cornerbacks are the best in the conference and maybe the country, the safeties seem to have elevated their game, and the defensive line is pretty strong and experienced.  UW-P will certainly have their bubble screen/short passing game primed and UW-SP has the lefty D2 transfer kid at QB who seems to be pretty accurate and fluid when he's in rhythm.  His test will be how he performs when he is under duress and has been hit a few times.  The problem for teams against UW-W is that they may find themselves looking at having to put up a pretty high number to stay with the UW-W offense.  That's a pretty big task, especially trying to attack the linebackers.  Without a balanced offense capable of attacking the whole field, UW-W is a tough match-up this year.  Much like NCC, it will be several weeks before UW-W is facing one of the three teams likely to have much of a chance to beat them. I hope teams the next few weeks attack the linebackers like crazy. All the more experience for them to learn from.
4. I'll be pulling for them. Very glad they won their last game.

bluenote

....my goodness, what kind of a hornet's nest did I step into.....  :-X

02 Warhawk

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 02, 2014, 12:00:30 AM

You guys nailed us in 2012 (at least in that title game), I'm the first to admit it.

But, all this reminiscing about years past gets me distracted by Nebraska's national titles, conference titles, record number of academic all americans, all americans, multiple heismans, etc. You get the picture. What's it say when your coach leaves because he doesn't think he can ever win a Nat'l title there  ??? ;) :D

Historically, your best teams are really good. Well, good enough to make it to the Rose Bowl anyway, not necessarily win one.

The banter is fun! Hopefully it builds to the point where both teams are playing for something in November! Than we can really talk some smack  :)

"What's it say when when your coach leaves because he doesn't think he can ever win a Nat'l title there?" IT says a lot...about him. I say...good luck with that at Arkansas.

Historically speaking, I suppose this is true if you conveniently leave out the seasons between 1990 and 2000 when UW won more Rose Bowls than any other school from either the Big Ten or the Pac Ten (the only conferences represented back then).

I'm not a Badgers fan at all what-so-ever, but I must admit Wisconsin > Nebraska for the better part of the last couple of decades. I suppose that's why Husker fans are still hanging onto the Tommy Frazier days  ;D

BoBo

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 02, 2014, 08:05:45 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 02, 2014, 12:00:30 AM

I'm not a Badgers fan at all what-so-ever, but I must admit Wisconsin > Nebraska for the better part of the last couple of decades. I suppose that's why Husker fans are still hanging onto the Tommy Frazier days  ;D

Exactly; a current high school kid being recruited for DI isn't old enough to see Nebraska with their own eyes as a big time player in the CFB universe. They're maybe big time in Lincoln because, well, it's Lincoln - not exactly the hippest place on earth - except when I.M. was there playing!!   ;D
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

BoBo

Quote from: emma17 on October 01, 2014, 05:51:57 PM

I'll say it now- I'll be shocked if UWO doesn't roll to victory in WIAC game 1.  The pounded becomes the pounder.

Got to question your logic behind the highlighted statement.  They lost to RMU by 8 and Marian by 4. Not exactly pounded. RMU is 4-0 and beat NAIA #10 St. Xavier 2 weeks ago; Marian is 2-1 and beat NAIA #1 and their defending National Champ Grand View on the road last week 31-18. The fact that Osh was able to hang with these two without being able to score any points and with a weak link at QB is rather remarkable. Sure they lost 41-3 to #9 FCS South Dakota State.  They should have lost by more. SDSU's only loss was at Mizzou by only 20.  Hard to say UW-O has been pounded in their 3 losses. I debated with myself at first when making my call in the pick'em. Was going to pick Stout, for no good reason. But, when I noticed that everyone up to that point had picked the Titans, I had to go that way myself. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stout win, however. Oshkosh is a mess offensively.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

hazzben

@02 Warhawk

Last couple decades. Not a chance. I'll give you the edge the last decade. As soon as you step past that. Nebraska owns the edge. By a wide margin. Those 90's badgers that could win rosebowls, well they wouldn't have been in the game against those Huskers teams. They played for 4 natl titles, won 3 and were ranked #1 for substantive parts of 9 different seasons.

Which is all a great reminder. Callahan and Pederson still SUCK!!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: hazzben on October 02, 2014, 10:33:33 AM
@02 Warhawk

Last couple decades. Not a chance. I'll give you the edge the last decade. As soon as you step past that. Nebraska owns the edge. By a wide margin. Those 90's badgers that could win rosebowls, well they wouldn't have been in the game against those Huskers teams. They played for 4 natl titles, won 3 and were ranked #1 for substantive parts of 9 different seasons.

Which is all a great reminder. Callahan and Pederson still SUCK!!

Yea, for sure. Nebraska had a great run in the 90's and were very dominate. However, the post-Osborne years haven't been too kind for Nebraska fans...with the exception for a years early in the 2000's.

Looking at Nebraska football I see that UWW's former AD is now the AD in Lincoln: Shawn Eichorst. I've always like him, he was the AD during my time in Whitewater. I just became a little bit of a Nebraska fan now.  :)

hazzben

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 02, 2014, 10:46:55 AM
Looking at Nebraska football I see that UWW's former AD is now the AD in Lincoln: Shawn Eichorst. I've always like him, he was the AD during my time in Whitewater. I just became a little bit of a Nebraska fan now.  :)

Yeah, I was really excited when the hired Eichorst. It was fun to see a D3 guy. But I also have loved his demeanor. He seems incredibly competent, but isn't arrogant or reactionary. I'm hoping he has a long, successful run in Lincoln.

And just so the board is clear. I'm not at all angry in these posts. I think the banter is great. And now I'm really hoping Big Red doesn't embarrass itself in East Lansing on Saturday  :-[

I'll quit hijacking your board now  ;D

emma17

Quote from: BoBo on October 02, 2014, 10:07:38 AM

I'll say it now- I'll be shocked if UWO doesn't roll to victory in WIAC game 1.  The pounded becomes the pounder.

Got to question your logic behind the highlighted statement.  They lost to RMU by 8 and Marian by 4. Not exactly pounded. RMU is 4-0 and beat NAIA #10 St. Xavier 2 weeks ago; Marian is 2-1 and beat NAIA #1 and their defending National Champ Grand View on the road last week 31-18. The fact that Osh was able to hang with these two without being able to score any points and with a weak link at QB is rather remarkable. Sure they lost 41-3 to #9 FCS South Dakota State.  They should have lost by more. SDSU's only loss was at Mizzou by only 20.  Hard to say UW-O has been pounded in their 3 losses. I debated with myself at first when making my call in the pick'em. Was going to pick Stout, for no good reason. But, when I noticed that everyone up to that point had picked the Titans, I had to go that way myself. Wouldn't be surprised to see Stout win, however. Oshkosh is a mess offensively.

You're right - they've not been "pounded" from a score standpoint. They have been pounded from a record standpoint. The reason I believe they will roll this weekend is exactly what you wrote about their first three games. If UWO has reached the next level as a program- their offense should be much improved by now. The players are certainly tested and I'd imagine they took quite a bit of pounding vs SDSU and should be looking to deliver the same to Stout.

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on October 02, 2014, 01:15:52 PM
Quote from: BoBo on October 02, 2014, 10:07:38 AM

You're right - they've not been "pounded" from a score standpoint. They have been pounded from a record standpoint. The reason I believe they will roll this weekend is exactly what you wrote about their first three games. If UWO has reached the next level as a program- their offense should be much improved by now. The players are certainly tested and I'd imagine they took quite a bit of pounding vs SDSU and should be looking to deliver the same to Stout.

IMO, if UW-O had reached the next level as a program, they would have found a way to beat UW-P in the last game of the year last year.  They have not proven they can win big games post-Wara.  As highly as we all regarded Wara, I wonder if we STILL under-valued him.  As much as UW-W wasn't themselves in 2012, it was several impossible third down throws by Wara that turned out to be the difference in the Warhawk/Titan game that year. Further, as much as I pretty much built the WIWA train very early last season, I still think a VERY interesting question to ponder is how the UW-W and UW-P games would have turned out for UW-O had the Titans had Wara one more year.  Dude was good.  Obviously, in my heart of hearts I believe the Hawks would have found a way as they proved to be Champions.  But the fact that it is even an interesting question tells something about Wara.  That also begs the question: Was UW-O's 2012 WIAC title a function of the "perfect storm" of having an incredible difference maker at QB and UW-W not being themselves? Or did 2012 introduce the Titan program as a new WIAC power that will battle for titles for the foreseeable future?  They were close but no cigar in 2013.  Now they sit at 0-3 and have lost 4 games in a row as a program.  The next seven weeks are really important for Coach Cerroni's program. 

emma17

^
Truth be told I was surprised at how close the UWO- UWW game was last year.
I don't remember if UWW had some key players out.

You bring up a good point about UWO not winning the big game v UWP last year.
Maybe we should define "next level".  I'll start by defining it as a consistent top 3 conference finisher capable of upsetting #1 but more likely sees the playoffs with an 8-2 or 9-1 record.
Using the CCIW as an example- Wheaton and IWU would qualify as next level to me.

MasterJedi

Quote from: emma17 on October 02, 2014, 06:26:31 PM
^

Maybe we should define "next level".  I'll start by defining it as a consistent top 3 conference finisher capable of upsetting #1 but more likely sees the playoffs with an 8-2 or 9-1 record.
Using the CCIW as an example- Wheaton and IWU would qualify as next level to me.

Just looking at the box score it appears that Huber did not play that game. No idea about the defense at all.

bleedpurple

Quote from: MasterJedi on October 02, 2014, 06:43:38 PM
Quote from: emma17 on October 02, 2014, 06:26:31 PM
^

Just looking at the box score it appears that Huber did not play that game. No idea about the defense at all.

I remember it being an exciting game. I see in the box score UW-W put up over 400 yards but produced only 17 points. It seems like we were moving the ball pretty well and then we would have a play that was an absolute disaster to ruin the drive.  I also remember UW-W's defense just carrying the day. I think UW-O had less than 70 yards in the second half or something like that.  It seems like I also remember a coach mentioning that the UW-O coaches did some game-planning and attacked the edges with the linebackers in a way that they had not shown on film.  I think our young O-line didn't make some adjustments they needed to make and learned a lot that day.

bleedpurple

"UW-La Crosse at UW-W: 5 things to watch" posted now on warhawkfootball.com

Also, scroll down and check out "LaCrosse Week Central" for more content and for links to lots of stuff about this weeks game. I am adding links daily and there will be more content before Saturday.

www.warhawkfootball.com