WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

etbualum

ETBU 76  TLU 59  ETBU is 4-0 heading into the HSU and MCM.  Guess we will find out what the Tigers have next week.

inthepaint

I'm surprised at the HPU loss.  This should prove to be an exciting season right up to the conference tournament.

Ralph Turner

Paint, I think that I would have been surprised by a loss to MC in Brownwood.  Clinton is a tough road trip.

dballa

They just weren't focused it seems.  Gave up too many 2nd chance points and missed 16 of 30 free throws.  That will lose a game every time.  They'll come back strong this weekend for sure. 

inthepaint

Or maybe, just maybe, MC is a better team.  I agree with Ralph, a loss at home would have been the real surprise.  We'll see how things "play out."

dballa

They aren't a better team they just played better that day. 

matalk

MC is always tough at home. They have Lacey Pallmorez-Kennedy back. So HSU jumps 7 spots and Mcm loses points in the polls. That proves polls aren't nada.

Ralph Turner

matalk, I think we see 2 different poll dynamics operating.

For HSU, they are in the Top 25 and are now floating up.  It takes a win over a superior team for a school to jump much out of the poll pecking order.  What usually happens is that a higher ranked team will lose and then drop 4-10 spots.  HSU and the others will float up to fill that vacuum.

For McMurry, we have been out of the polls consistently since 2000.  We are on the radar screen and are undefeated.  As the ranks of the undefeated dwindle, we will hang around with the other RV's (Receiving Votes and Winnebago is the name of an Indian tribe  ;) )  until we demonstrate our ability to warrant a "Top 25", like beating HSU.

HSU is in the Top 25 because of reputation.  They have not done much to lose the reputation of being a quality program.  Even 2003 Champion Trinity and the 2005 playoff team HPU are receiving fewer votes than McMurry.  2005 national runner-up Randolph-Macon lost at home to #13 Springfield and fell 8 slots.

calhsu

Of course the polls mean nothing at this time of the year.  Yes you like them if your in them,  but  ETBU and McMurry will have their chance.  Perhaps tonight.

inthepaint

Quote from: dballa on November 30, 2005, 03:03:04 PM
They aren't a better team they just played better that day. 

Dballa, on what grounds do you make that claim?

Josh Bowerman

Reputation does seem to be propelling the HSU women, at least a little.  Scores against common opponents thus far would lead one to believe that McM might indeed have the inside track in the ASC West this year--at least thus far.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

dballa

So I should think they are better because they've won 1 game out of the last 5 against HPU and after HPU had a long trip to NY, then a holiday break, then a trip to LC then on to MC right after that?  If both teams make the ASC tourney and MC beats HPU there I will say they are the better team.

HPU gave up 14 2nd chance points to only 4 for themselves and missed 16 free throws.  They beat themselves by missing free throws and not rebounding.  Don't worry that will be fixed.

dsc

HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.

dsc

Final:  (Per Gametracker)

HSU  83

ETBU 63

Go Cowgirls!!!
HARDIN-SIMMONS UNIVERSITY: AN EDUCATION ENLIGHTENED BY FAITH.