WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NW Hope Fan

Not enough at the end for either team.
"We are told that Christ was killed for us, that His death has washed out our sins, and that by dying He disabled death itself. ... That is Christianity. That is what has to be believed."

C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

realist

Very good seasons for both Calvin and Hope.  Thought for sure one of them would advance, but just wasn't meant to be.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

realist

With only 2 sr's on this years team I am looking forward to next year already.  The two seniors didn't play alot of minutes so shouldn't be that hard to replace.  I figured this was a great learning year for the Knights.  They have several areas they need to work on, and have learned they can play with the best.

"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

big_fella

Calvin had the game down to 2 points and the ball and they missed 2 very close shots, that would have tied the score.  The Chicago comes down and scores and gets fouled and converts the 3 point play.  The Knights could never get over the hump and credit Chicago, they played like the #5 team in the country.  Very balanced and poised.

Congrats on a great season to for the Lady Knights!!  I think with another year of "seasoning", they should be poised for a long run in the tournament.

Carissa Verkaik was amazing again tonight, playing like the 2 time MIAA MVP.  She had 23 pts, 17 reb, 7 blocks.  She played great to get the Knights back into the game, but towards the end of the game, I thought that they didn't go to her enough.

fannie

Bummer...as a Hope fan the "pod of death" was exactly that!

pointlem

A bit of history.  In 2006, Hope won the national championship, after having a phenomenal shooting game that was just enough to beat the heavily favored Washington U, 92 to 89.  Hope hit shot after shot, ending 35 of 65 for the night, including 11 of 24 from 3-point land.

Tonight was the evil twin of that game, where (in my mind) a superior Hope team had an extraordinarily cold shooting night--18 of 64, including many missed layups and missed 3-pointers that we're going down last night.  Cold shooting (I know, credit the defense for some, but not all of that) was combined with being outrebounded 38 to 50 . . . after the reverse rebounding difference (50 to 36) in their December matchup.  I guess it's the uncertainty--the random variability--of sport that adds to its excitement.  You just never know.

In 2006, I felt that if Wash U and Hope we're to play 10 games, Wash U would win most, but they ran into a red hot Hope.  Tonight seemed the mirror image of that game, and thus a sad end (including to the DeVos win streak) to a phenomenal 4 years for the seniors who gave us such pleasure and represented Hope with such class.  Thank you Hope women, and may good memories and friendships last you a lifetime.

hope1

thank you hope team and seniors it was great to watch you for 4 years a really great job thank you
i love hope  sports all of them are really great to watch

formerd3db

While I rarely post on these basketball boards (I am a football guy a heart, sorry ;D ), I do follow Hope and MIAA basketball during the season as well as reading the posts here.  Regarding last evening's posts here for both Hope's men's and women's basketball teams, I think you have all captured the essence of what this is all about and it couldn't have been said any better.  Certainly, no one likes to lose, especially at this point in the season after reaching the national tournament rounds.  However, the experience of even getting to this point just adds to that of the four years of these student-athletes careers with memories that will last their lifetimes and, later on, the losses will not matter, but rather what will is the important "stuff".  Yet, all of you know that already.  Anyway, I join everyone here in congratulating both the Hope men's and women's basketball team and coaching staffs (and Calvin's too) for a great season.

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Dutchfan

I love coacj Mo. I wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone. Well, maybe for Pat Summitt.

That being said, Coach Morehouse is the reason we lost last night. at one point in the first half we were being out rebounded 21-9. He was very slow to react to this. But my biggest problem is the last four minutes of the game. with 4 minutes to go Hope was down by six and had only two fouls. Instead of starting to foul to catch up to six fouls coach Mo did nothing. It wasn't until there was only a minute and a half left that he had the girls fstart to foul so that we could sen them to the line, at this point we still had only three fouls! What did coach Mo do now that we had enough fouls to send them to the line? He let Washington U. run the clock down 25 seconds instead of fouling them, and then Wash U. got two more points! At this point he finally start to foul to try to get the ball back, but there was less then a minute left at this point and we were down by 9. We just didn't have enough time left.

If Coach Morehouse had just started to foul earlier we would have had enough time to try to catch up. If he hadn't let them run 25 seconds off the clock we would have had more time to catch up.

I love you Coach, but you cost us this game.

pointlem

Quote from: Dutchfan on March 06, 2011, 03:02:49 PM
I love coacj Mo. I wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone. Well, maybe for Pat Summitt.

. . . . . If Coach Morehouse had just started to foul earlier we would have had enough time to try to catch up. If he hadn't let them run 25 seconds off the clock we would have had more time to catch up.

I love you Coach, but you cost us this game.
Dutchfan, thanks for sharing your perspective and your affirmation of Coach Mo.  But I beg to differ on two counts.  The game was lost by the time of that late foul (Hope was 7 points behind when the 6th foul occurred with 1:19 remaining, and the seconds then elapsed).  Moreover, the game was lost by missed layups that had nothing to do with coaching.  And speaking of coaching, I, too, love Coach Mo . . . and the infectious positive spirit his team exudes (which I take to be a credit to him).  I've often thought that if I were a parent of a recruit, and witnessed the joy and enthusiasm of Hope's team, I'd want my daughter there.

I also respect his demeanor, and the respect he shows for other teams and coaches, including in his congratulations to them at the game's end last night.  Would I rather see Pat Summitt's scowling face on Hope's sideline or Coach Mo's?  For Hope College, I'd choose Coach Mo in a heartbeat.

Dark Knight

I wasn't able to attend the Calvin-Chicago game, but both reports I read about it mentioned how physical Chicago was and that it took the Knights by surprise, took them some time to adjust. Verkaik was quoted in the press as calling it a learning experience.

And in fact, Calvin was behind by 9 six minutes into the game and behind by 13 after 10 minutes. They outscored Chicago for the remainder of the game but weren't quite able to catch up.

For anyone who was there, what was the game like?

sac

This weekend's losses by Hope and Calvin put an end to a really impressive streak in my opinion.  The MIAA (all Hope and Calvin) had played for a Sectional Championship 6 years in a row, and 7 of the previous 8 tournaments.

Going back to 1999, the MIAA had a representative in 10 of 12 Sweet 16's.  Only missing out in 2001 and 2004. That is really impressive.

mark_reichert

Quote from: sac on March 06, 2011, 11:10:31 PM
This weekend's losses by Hope and Calvin put an end to a really impressive streak in my opinion.  The MIAA (all Hope and Calvin) had played for a Sectional Championship 6 years in a row, and 7 of the previous 8 tournaments.

Going back to 1999, the MIAA had a representative in 10 of 12 Sweet 16's.  Only missing out in 2001 and 2004. That is really impressive.

Just a point of observation: the UAA has had at least one representative in the sweet sixteen every year from 1994 onwards, except for 2002 and 2005, when WashU lost to the eventual national champions Stevens Point and Millikan in the second round.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: Dark Knight on March 06, 2011, 05:36:49 PM
I wasn't able to attend the Calvin-Chicago game, but both reports I read about it mentioned how physical Chicago was and that it took the Knights by surprise, took them some time to adjust. Verkaik was quoted in the press as calling it a learning experience.

And in fact, Calvin was behind by 9 six minutes into the game and behind by 13 after 10 minutes. They outscored Chicago for the remainder of the game but weren't quite able to catch up.

For anyone who was there, what was the game like?

I was at the Calvin-Chicago game and can share a few observations.  Yes, Chicago was very physical. They came out and hit Calvin in the mouth, going up 17-4 out of the gates.  Calvin did adjust and in my opinion could have won the game if they had just a few more minutes of time.  They showed a lot of heart and clawed back the rest of game after that initial run by Chicago.    A couple of the Chicago players finished with 4 fouls (#11 and #44, both had the same last name, sisters?) and the game's tenor would have changed significantly without those two on the floor.   

I was also impressed with the Calvin students.  They were more vocal that night than a lot of the men's games I've been to. 

Verkaik made some very tough shots all night but unfortunately missed a couple of easier ones down the stretch that would've made a big difference in the outcome and how the last couple minutes played out.  Chicago also hit their free throws down the stretch better than the Knights who missed several around the 5 or 6 minute mark. 

Overall, this Calvin team has a lot to be proud of this year.  Beating an awesome Hope team twice, and winning both the regular season and conference tourney championships. 

Intangir

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 07, 2011, 10:50:38 AM

I was at the Calvin-Chicago game and can share a few observations.  Yes, Chicago was very physical. They came out and hit Calvin in the mouth, going up 17-4 out of the gates.  Calvin did adjust and in my opinion could have won the game if they had just a few more minutes of time.  They showed a lot of heart and clawed back the rest of game after that initial run by Chicago.    A couple of the Chicago players finished with 4 fouls (#11 and #44, both had the same last name, sisters?) and the game's tenor would have changed significantly without those two on the floor.   

I was also impressed with the Calvin students.  They were more vocal that night than a lot of the men's games I've been to. 

Verkaik made some very tough shots all night but unfortunately missed a couple of easier ones down the stretch that would've made a big difference in the outcome and how the last couple minutes played out.  Chicago also hit their free throws down the stretch better than the Knights who missed several around the 5 or 6 minute mark. 

Overall, this Calvin team has a lot to be proud of this year.  Beating an awesome Hope team twice, and winning both the regular season and conference tourney championships. 

I was there Saturday and agree with what you said - Chicago did play very physical - and very good - defense. They did foul a lot but Calvin was forced all night into taking bad or off balance shots and I think that's why they did miss a few that seemed like they should have gone in, they were very well defended every time they shot.  Lots of credit to Chicago for hitting key shots when they needed to, all through the 2nd half Calvin would start to crawl back into the game, getting to within 7, and then 6, and then 5, and every time Chicago would score 4-5 straight points to put their lead back out of reach.  Calvin did finally get to within 2 but Chicago's lead was right back to 6 or 7 a minute or two later.  It was uncanny.