FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Horse Rider

Huntingdon was the better team most of the afternoon.  The Hawks ran the ball at will and the Monarchs could not sustain anything on the ground.  I do wonder if the 61 yard TD pass in the 2nd that was called back for an unsportsman like penalty had stood if the outcome might have been different or at least closer.  TD is wiped off the board and three plays later MU fumbles the ball which the Hawks recovered.  In either case 3 players rushing for over 100 yards in a non wing-T/triple option offense is very impressive.  The absolute back breaker was the 9 minute drive that resulted in a FG by the Hawks to start the 4th.  That made it a 10 point game and the way Huntington was running the ball almost unsurmountable.  I was scratching my head at the 2 point conversion by Methodist at the end as well as the onside kick. 

Best of luck to all in the shortened offseason and here's to a more "normal" looking 2021 Fall season.

Subway Alum

Congratulations to Huntingdon on the spring football title.  I'm also looking forward to to fall and what will ideally be a full schedule. . . . But Brevard, after taking care of N. C. Wesleyan to stay undefeated on their new campus field, still has Sewanee (there) on April 10. I'm looking forward to that one as the Tornados look to go 5-1 for the spring. It's a great opportunity for Brevard to play another historically-storied program on a classic campus. Two years ago it was a solid win in an ECAC bowl game at Carnegie-Mellon. Brevard coach Bill Khayat, who came on board with the move to Division III, and his staff are building a fine program at BC. It's a real departure from the disappointments of too many outclassed seasons in Division II (SAC) after football was reintroduced at Brevard in 2005. . . .  I watched some of the Sewanee stream against Greensboro on Saturday and expect it will be an honor for Brevard to play on the field there with all the traditions of Sewanee football. But unless the Tornados bury themselves with penalties--which seems to be the team's biggest weakness this spring--their defense and an offense that has seemed to have just enough to get it done this spring, ought to come away with another win to add to BC's growing Division III success.

DGPugh

Subway Alum
I hope Brevard will soundly defeats Sewanee. I always pull for our league, where ever and who ever they play, except when they play Huntingdon of course.
Congrats on yalls fine season
keep the faith
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

ITH radio

We will be releasing our interview with Coach Khayat about the USA South title game controversy and his thoughts on the spring season in a few hours. I'll post the links here when they're up.

It's been great covering the USAC this season. Definitely some great games/schools involved.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

ITH radio

https://fb.watch/4JG3yE_9Bb/ - interview with HC Bill Khayat of Brevard about this spring season's USA South championship tiebreaker confusion / controversy.

DGPugh

^^ great show. Real good discussion. The Coach seems to be the real deal.
With him at the helm, Brevard College will be a really tough team from here on out.
Thanks
keep the faith  :)
"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." 
Ephesians 6:11

ITH radio

DGP - thanks!

"Off the air" he let us know about his background - dad was a NFL player on the 1960 Eagles championship team. Really smart and articulate guy. He's definitely going to make BC a top program in the USAC, if not the South Region, really soon.

Subway Alum

Thanks for the informative coverage.  I just hope BC will be able to keep Coach Khayat for a while longer. He's so well-spoken and humble, especially compared to the self-promoters who land a lot of Division I-A jobs. . .  The point about only 17 players on the team when he came aboard in 2017 was especially telling in what he, the other coaches (some of them his former players), and the dedicated players he's brought to Brevard over four years have been able to accomplish. It's pretty clear that the third spring 2021 Brevard-Huntingdon game will never take place, but it looks like there will be a full fall season--Brevard will get their shot then.

Hawks88

Huntingdon released the schedule yesterday. 6 home games, nice. September is going to be pretty tough, need to come out of the gate rolling.

https://www.huntingdonhawks.com/sports/fball/2021-22/schedule

BSCpanthers

Quote from: Hawks88 on June 18, 2021, 11:19:48 AM
Huntingdon released the schedule yesterday. 6 home games, nice. September is going to be pretty tough, need to come out of the gate rolling.

Not real sure why the change in our game, we now have 4 home games and you guys have 6.  I can only imagine next season will be opposite with us having 6 and you guys having 4.

Hawks88

Quote from: BSCpanthers on June 18, 2021, 10:33:35 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on June 18, 2021, 11:19:48 AM

Not real sure why the change in our game, we now have 4 home games and you guys have 6.  I can only imagine next season will be opposite with us having 6 and you guys having 4.
I can see us getting 5 home games next year. I assume Oshkosh and Averett will be dropping off so we can possibly replace one of those two with a home game.

BSCpanthers

Does anyone see the NIL trickling down to the D3 level.  Any athletes going to get a benefit out of it???  I could see it if the D3 program is the only program in the area, but like in Birmingham, where BSC is the fourth program in the Birmingham metro area, hard to gain any attention for those athletes in this market.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: BSCpanthers on July 08, 2021, 10:19:09 AM
Does anyone see the NIL trickling down to the D3 level.  Any athletes going to get a benefit out of it???  I could see it if the D3 program is the only program in the area, but like in Birmingham, where BSC is the fourth program in the Birmingham metro area, hard to gain any attention for those athletes in this market.

I think it'll benefit that student athlete that has a large social media following doing something very unique that they can now profit from without recourse from the NCAA. However, in some schools, the activity the student partakes in has to be in accordance with the Schools Student Code of Conduct.

Hawks88

Huntingdon has an updated roster posted on the website. 164 total including 23 SR, 24 JR, 41 SO, and 76 FR.
I'm ready for some football.

Go Hawks!

Wild Horse Rider

2021 Fall Season here we go!  I am very optimistic about the Monarchs chances this season.  The pre-season pole picked them to finish 3rd which is where I would have likely picked them.  They return 11 starters from last Springs defense highlighted by 6 all-conference players (I know all-conference selections were aplenty in the spring but I'll take it).  The ones I plan on keeping a close eye on are the DE Patterson who was also All-Region on D3Football as well as three time all-conference safety Jones.  Both are super seniors.  On offense 10 of the 11 starters are back along with the back up RB and the TE when they use one.  The standouts on offense are of course the QB Bullins, the do everything WR/RB/RET Praylow, and the All-Region center Wiggins.  Special teams brings back both the starting K and P.  The only notable absence was the WR Moore but I have heard that the cupboard is not bare at that position.  The schedule shake out ok with 6 games before the bye.  The games that will determine the season early on are Maryville away on Sept 18th which will open up conference play.  Maryville will be coming off a tough 2 non-conference games.  Then on week 5 there is the long trip to Alabama to play the Hawks.  This is the week after Huntingdon plays Brevard so the Hawks conference outlook could be shaped up after that game.  If the Monarchs can go into the bye with one or less losses in conference I spirits will still be high.  There are 4 conference games to finish it up with the biggie at home on Halloween Eve when the Tornados come to town.

This is the most hopeful I have felt going into a season for Methodist since Max Reber and company were in town about 8 years ago.