MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There isn't that much time left in the regular season as teams continue to fight to get into conference tournaments and position themselves for hopefully NCAA tournament bids. Second round of Regional Rankings are also out with plenty of answers... and questions. Plus, some teams are putting on some shows recently including a lot of buzzer beaters!

On Thursday night's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh rolls up his sleeves and takes a look at what is happening as we head into the last ten days of the regular season. McHugh will also get some insight on Wednesday's insane men's basketball game between Lynchburg and No. 21 Roanoke. Plus, get a preview of the NESCAC men's and women's tournaments along with talking to ranked teams on both the men's and women's side.

Hoopsville hits the air at 7:00 pm ET and promises to go at least 2 1/2 hours. You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/feb18

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Alex Graves, Lynchburg senior forward
- Howard Herman, Berkshire Eagle, NESCAC tournaments preview
- Brian Morehouse, No. 3 Hope women's coach
- Bill Broderick, No. 16 Christopher Newport women's coach
- Tom Curle, No. 23 Plattsburgh State men's coach
- Eric Bridgeland, No. 9 Whitman men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

And a reminder the Hoopsville Fundraising Project is halfway to the deadline but we are not that close to the goal. Please consider helping us cover Division III basketball the way it deserves to be covered: http://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser/x/6029509.

Thanks!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

A Buc Forever

As stated above, Regional Rankings are out. Nothing new. All comes down to whether WW can win as many games this weekend as Whitman does.

WEST
1 St. Thomas 21-2 21-2
2 Whitworth 21-1 22-1
3 Whitman 19-3 20-3
4 St. John's 16-6 17-6
5 St. Olaf 16-8 16-8
6 Concordia-Moorhead 15-8 15-9
7 Augsburg 15-8 15-8
Women's

The first record is Division III record, followed by overall record.

Pinecone_Curtain

The Whits hang on to win, so the standings heading into the final night are
Whitworth 14-1
Whitman   13-2
PLU           9-6
UPS           8-7

Hopefully WW wins  ;D but if not, then both WM & WW would have lost to PLU. What's the next tiebreaker? Point differential? Overall record? Pie eating contest (WM would win that, too many guards on WW to compete)?

blackhawks4

I'd assume it's got to go to point differential, right? In which case a Whitworth loss would lead to Whitman hosting (if wmn prevails).

Watched both games last night.  UPS/WW was intriguing,  but even in watching the game, you always have this feeling that whitworth is going to win.  For the second time this year, they win by literally an inch--when UPS guard missed a 3 with seconds left that would have sealed it.

Whitworth will win tonight, but I think they are going to be in another nail-biter. PLU guards are tooough.

It was the Tim Howell show for wmn, and it wasn't the prettiest of wins, but a double digit win nonetheless.  Whitman played half court d a good portion of the game last night.

To me, Whitworth and Whitman are looking like two teams headed in different directions.  Whitman seems to be peaking right now with all the momentum on their side, and Whitworth seems to be just trying to hang on

A Buc Forever

Exciting game last night. First one I've been to in person this year. Agree with Blavkhawks that  it always felt like Whitworth was going to eventually win.  Also agree that Whitman and Whitworth seem to be going in different directions right now.  Hopefully the Bucs will get it together for the playoffs.

Blackhawks, you have some good insights when you're team is doing well. Why are you so delusional when you're team isn't doing well?

blackhawks4

The d is stingie in t-town tonight! WMN holding puget sound to 17 points in the first half, and 24% from the floor. 39-17 lead

PLU hanging around against WW. Down 5.  Feels like Whitworth is going to keep this lead around 7-8.  With their guards, PLU is not a team you want to go down to the wire against.

Pinecone_Curtain

Another year with the same storyline. Whits split, WW takes care of the rest, WM drops one along the way giving WW the title. Feels like I'm watching the movie Groundhogs Day.

Hard not to agree with you Blackhawk. It does feel like WM is getting better as WW is fighting to hang on, but I also think WM is a team that is built for higher highs and lower lows. WW sort of stays steady, rarely blows anyone away, but grinds out a ton of games. WM can blow teams out of the water--as we've seen many times--but they are susceptible to a bad night or two along the way. The conference tourney will be fun. UPS @ WW, PLU @ WM. Thoughts on end of season awards?

blackhawks4

WW is the epitome of consistency. In years past, I would agree 100% with you Pinecone (WMN style of play leading to blowouts/high-highs & low-lows). But with Whitman calling off the traps, they are a completely different defensive team. The gimme lay-ups and open 3's that resulted from defensive gambles aren't there anymore, and it's made WMN much more consistent.

Onto the playoffs, PLU is dangerous. Very dangerous. Brandon Lester is going to be haunting my nightmares for the next week. You can tell he is a big game player too. However, if WMN can get Austin Butler matched up with him, I think Butler locks him up--meaning holds him under 15.

All NWC team (in order)
POTY: Jurlina
Love
Valle
Howell
Lester
Luedtke

I don't necessarily agree with above--I think Austin butler should have that last spot. I also think Christian McDonald is a strong candidate, but likely a 2nd teamer.  IMO Kenny love is the POTY, but his stats haven't "wowed" so I don't think he gets the nod.

Pinecone_Curtain

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 20, 2016, 11:39:50 PM
Onto the playoffs, PLU is dangerous. Very dangerous. Brandon Lester is going to be haunting my nightmares for the next week. You can tell he is a big game player too. However, if WMN can get Austin Butler matched up with him, I think Butler locks him up--meaning holds him under 15.

Lester had 24 tonight vs WW. He's a tough, tough player and by himself kept PLU in the game.

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 20, 2016, 11:39:50 PM
All NWC team (in order)
POTY: Jurlina
Love
Valle
Howell
Lester
Luedtke

I don't necessarily agree with above--I think Austin butler should have that last spot. I also think Christian McDonald is a strong candidate, but likely a 2nd teamer.  IMO Kenny love is the POTY, but his stats haven't "wowed" so I don't think he gets the nod.

I have the same as you bh, except I have Valle and Jurlina switched. Though it wouldn't totally shock me if McDonald slipped past Luedtke.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: blackhawks4 on February 20, 2016, 12:00:59 PM
I'd assume it's got to go to point differential, right? In which case a Whitworth loss would lead to Whitman hosting (if wmn prevails).

Not that it matters, but we talked about this on Hoopsville the other night and it would have gone to in-conference road game WL% which would have given Whitman the edge.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

playball

Successful season for Linfield!  We Beat GFU twice! 

D O.C.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Pinecone_Curtain

The all nwc teams are in...
POY - Valle
COY - Bridge

1st team
Howell, Love, Jurlina, Meyer, Lester

Meyer is the only surprise IMO, but the coaches game plan for other teams so I guess they would know.

stag44

What are the chances that WW or Whitman are upset and the winner is either PLU or UPS? If so, could the NWC get 3 bids??