MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

That said, the thing that prevented Augie from advancing to Salem last year was a crazy performance from a perimeter player -- Ben Boots (Oshkosh).  The Vikings couldn't stop him when he was throwing up and making ridiculous jumpshots.

Aston Francis is harder to deal with than Ben Boots.  He takes, and makes, way crazier shots.  If he is on...lookout.

mwunder

Quote from: Titan Q on March 08, 2019, 02:03:41 PM
I think Augustana is better positioned to guard Aston Francis than just about every other team in Division III. 

Most teams have zero players who can guard him.  Augie has 4 different/unique options:
- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick
- 6-2 Chrishawn Orange - athletic/physical
- 6-6 Brett Benning - tall, long
- 6-4 Pierson Wofford - the whole package (long, athletic, quick, physical)

I am not saying any of these guys can shut him down...but each guy can make it hard on him.  And between the 4, they can give him a lot of different looks to deal with.

yet, based on his numbers in the CCIW, Carthage and NCC were the best defensive teams against him at 25/gm.  Augie gave up 32.5/gm to him, which was third worst in the league round robin.  Not sure how that adds up.

GoPerry

Quote from: Titan Q on March 08, 2019, 02:05:42 PM
I think Wheaton will be able to score - Augie has all kinds of bad matchups here in trying to stop Wheaton.  But I have no idea how Wheaton can possibly stop Augie from scoring more points.  The Vikings are just too big and physical for the Thunder.

I see Augustana winning comfortably.

Totally agree that Wheaton will have to keep Augie (81 pts/g avg) close to 80 pts to have a chance - a very tall order.  They have no chance if they give up 90+ like last time or against NCC.

They did keep Wooster 10 pts below their season average last w/e.  Different weekend, different round, and definitely a different opponent.  But gotta latch onto something. 

GoPerry

Good article on Luke Anthony (needs to have a good one tonight).  Also the local connections for the Loras DuHawks.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20190306/for-anthony-wheaton-college-playoffs-are-a-sweet-feeling

Gregory Sager

Quote from: mwunder on March 08, 2019, 02:18:46 PM
I think Augustana is better positioned to guard Aston Francis than just about every other team in Division III. 

Most teams have zero players who can guard him.  Augie has 4 different/unique options:
- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

I am not saying any of these guys can shut him down...but each guy can make it hard on him.  And between the 4, they can give him a lot of different looks to deal with.

yet, based on his numbers in the CCIW, Carthage and NCC were the best defensive teams against him at 25/gm.  Augie gave up 32.5/gm to him, which was third worst in the league round robin.  Not sure how that adds up.

It's about more than raw scoring numbers, though. Also, your Francis ppg vs. North Central is off.

opponent  FG/3FG/FT slash  a:to  ppg
Augustana (2 g)  .414/.393/.667  4:9  32.5
North Central (3 g)  .471/.361/.842  4:8  33.0
Carthage (2 g)  .348/.300/.923  9:5  25.0
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Augie15

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 08, 2019, 03:18:37 PM

- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

It's about more than raw scoring numbers, though. Also, your Francis ppg vs. North Central is off.

It's also worth noting (I don't have any stats in front of me to defend this claim so maybe I am off) but having Francis "get off" for 32.5 ppg might be better when looking at how his teammates performed in those games as well. Francis is going to get his points obviously. But limit the other Wheaton players and that 32.5 ppg looks better and better. Just a thought

Augie15

Quote from: Augie15 on March 08, 2019, 03:45:44 PM

- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

It's also worth noting (I don't have any stats in front of me to defend this claim so maybe I am off) but having Francis "get off" for 32.5 ppg might be better when looking at how his teammates performed in those games as well. Francis is going to get his points obviously. But limit the other Wheaton players and that 32.5 ppg looks better and better. Just a thought

Wheaton Starters other than Francis in the two games they played
Game 1 Augie - 26 points / 6.5 Avg   Augie Win
Game 2 Augie- 22 points / 5.5 Avg    Augie Win

Game 1 Carthage - 35 points / 8.75 Avg   Carthage Loss
Game 2 Carthage - 41 points / 10.25 Avg  Carthage Loss

Game 1 NCC - 25 points / 6.25 Avg  NCC Win
Game 2 NCC - 20 Points / 5 Avg    NCC Loss  (Francis had 49)
Game 3 NCC - 36 Points / 9 Avg   NCC Win

Augie15

Quote from: Augie15 on March 08, 2019, 03:55:50 PM
Quote from: Augie15 on March 08, 2019, 03:45:44 PM

- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

Wheaton Starters other than Francis in the two games they played
Game 1 Augie - 26 points / 6.5 Avg   Augie Win
Game 2 Augie- 22 points / 5.5 Avg    Augie Win

Game 1 Carthage - 35 points / 8.75 Avg   Carthage Loss
Game 2 Carthage - 41 points / 10.25 Avg  Carthage Loss

Game 1 NCC - 25 points / 6.25 Avg  NCC Win
Game 2 NCC - 20 Points / 5 Avg    NCC Loss  (Francis had 49)
Game 3 NCC - 36 Points / 9 Avg   NCC Win

Wheaton has played Augie very well the past hand full of years so I think it should be a great game tonight. Augie pulls it out at home but it will be a fun one to watch for sure.

mwunder

- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

I did miss the one game vs.  NCC.  You're right.

All I'm saying is that Augie didn't especially defend him well during the season.  They defended everyone else well.

thunder38

Quote from: mwunder on March 08, 2019, 04:57:22 PM

- 6-1 Nolan Ebel - quick

I did miss the one game vs.  NCC.  You're right.

All I'm saying is that Augie didn't especially defend him well during the season.  They defended everyone else well.

That seems to be the question in mind when choosing how to defend Wheaton. It's a little bit of how teams approached defending Steve Djurickovic. Do you put your focus on him and how much focus you put on the top of the scouting report? Or do you try to shutdown the supporting staff and live the fact that he's going to get his but don't let someone else rise up to beat you in support?

IF (and I don't expect this to be the case) Augie were to go with the latter approach, I'd look for them to move Chrishawn Orange onto Luke Anthony when he comes into the game. Anthony has been the jumpstart for Wheaton lately and has hit some big shots for them. If you make Anthony work for his and obviously Benning and Wofford can contain Anajuwon Spencer, then Francis might start to try to do everything himself. If Anthony and Spencer can get 10-12 and Peterson can get 8-10, Wheaton is going to be in it to the end.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Gregory Sager

Smooth stone, meet Goliath's forehead.

Wheaton 93, Augustana 79

This was not a fluke. Wheaton clearly outplayed Augustana tonight ... and it wasn't just because of Aston Francis, either.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Wow, a Wheaton team, not just Francis, over Augie tonight, putting up over 90 on the Doggies.  Congrats to WC.

'70

Mr. Ypsi

I missed what happened when Peters got his 4th foul, then immediately got T'd up for foul #5.  His team bailed him out, but he could have been a huge goat, as Ebel sank 4 straight FTs to cut an 11-point deficit down to 7.  What did Peters say or do?

duckfan41

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 08, 2019, 10:27:22 PM
I missed what happened when Peters got his 4th foul, then immediately got T'd up for foul #5.  His team bailed him out, but he could have been a huge goat, as Ebel sank 4 straight FTs to cut an 11-point deficit down to 7.  What did Peters say or do?

Appeared to me that he pushed down Ebel after the whistle as both guys finished the play after the whistle. Dumb foul, but Wheaton was able to weather that storm