MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patcummings

As far as player of the year, McGarvey embodies the characteristics of a true floor general for Ursinus - more so than any other player in the league.  He scores, defends, assists, and rebounds more than any one player in the league.  To have as many points, assists, and steals as he does is what put him over the top in my estimation.  You don't need the height to play good defense, and he is a classic example of it.

Who is going to step up and take a CC POY away from Ursinus?

Barrett, Stanton, McGarvey...Luciano in there too I think...

bearsfan1

I think that Jeff Stewart will end the monopoly that UC has had upon the POY award (five out of the last six) next year.  I also think that Nick Shattuck could make a run at it because he will have to take on an even more increased scoring presence.  I think it will come down to whoever's team finishes better.  Then there are the forwards from Hopkins.

I am expected a huge crowd for this weekends CC tourney.  Should be great with the Bears walking away with their third championship in four years. Go Bears!

patcummings

The CCBN will cover every step of the men's tourney if you can't make it to Collegeville. 

Links on Centennial.org and Broadcastmonsters.com

swish

I think McGarvey could have played at a higher level- say the Patriot League. I'm sure his height kept him from being recruited by the D1's. (or maybe he was but decided on Ursinus anyway). In any event, I hope Ursinus can carry this thing for a while because if anyone deserves it, McGarvey does.

bearsfan1

Mike McGarvey was named a finalist for the Josten's trophy today.  This is the second time in three years that an Ursinus player (Dennis Stanton in '04) has been nominated.  This is a great honor for the mens basketball program at UC as well as the school itself.

cc_fan

I really hope Ursinus brings their A game tomorrow.  Washington is a tough team.  I think Will Furey can be the difference in the game.  When he is aggressive on the post, Ursinus seems unstoppable.

bearsfan1

Washington is a very dangerous matchup for the Bears this weekend.  They create odd defensive matchups for UC with forwards guarding guards and such.  If Furey can step up early and set the tone for the game, I know Coach Small likes to pound the ball early, the Bears should coast.  I don't want to see this game turn into a jump shooting contest because that would favor the Shoremen. Go Bears!

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: cc_fan on February 24, 2006, 03:08:39 PM
I think Will Furey can be the difference in the game.  When he is aggressive on the post, Ursinus seems unstoppable.

Another difference could be the Ursinus crowd.  That place gets extremely loud when they pack 'em in.  If the atmosphere approaches the level of the 2003 title game, it will be difficult for anyone to go in there and knock off the Bears.   But stranger things have happened in this conference.  Here's to a fun weekend of hoops.

bearsfan1

I was not around for the 2003 title game but I know last year against NYC tech in the NCAA tourney, it was deafening loud in there.  I am greatly looking forward to not only the games this weekend, but the atmosphere as well.

Reserved Seat

Ursinus needs to win the Centennial tournament tomorrow to make the NCAA play-offs.  With all the teams already in Pool C, Ursinus probably would not get a bid, if they lose.
Ursinus is the best representative for the Centennial Conference.  Hopefully, they win.

Leo

McGarvey showed today why he is the Conferences Player of the Year against Washington in semifinal game 1. Washington players played their hearts out during the second half, but McGarvey's leadership and key baskets/plays led his team to the Championship game tommorrow.

Lets go Bears !!!!!!!!!!

r.w. mcnickels

Centennial championship FINAL:

Ursinus 100, Johns Hopkins 82

The Bears win their third CC title in four years.  Now we'll see if they can carry that success into NCAAs, which they haven't been able to do in the past.

bearsfan1

Definitely a game of ups and downs.  Ursinus was up 13 at the half but roared back to tie only to see UC win by 17.  Unprecedented 3rd title in four years.  This senior class was awesome! Congrats to Coach Small on his 100th win, what a way to do it.  As much as I like this team, I cannot see them going deep into the tourney.  I think one win at best.

commish

so many people to thank, so little time.  Hats off to the Ursinus athletic staff and AD Brian Thomas for an outstanding job handling both the basketball and indoor track championships.  Salute to Pat Cummings and Gordon Mann for their work on the CCBN throughout the season.  To the five Ursinus seniors - Luke, Bret, Mike, Brian and Joe - congrats for an unprecedented third title in four years.  To Johns Hopkins ... it showed amazing poise and resiliency to battle back from 14 down to tie the game.  It was a great day for Centennial Conference basketball.

Leo

Ursinus will represent the Centennial Conference in the NCAA Tournament very well. The team truly plays as a team with a great deal of maturity and determination. On Saturday, they could of folded when Washington made their run within 6 points, but they didn't. Today, they could of folded against Hopkins when they were tied after a 14 pt lead, but they didn't. The five starters and the bench stayed the couse as a team over the weekend, and their reward was a 2nd consective conference championship. Do not forget that Ursinus played York (PA) and Trinity (Conn.) very well during the early part of the season. Even though they lost both games by a small margin, those games served as a maturation process for them as a team. They believe in each other when others outside of the Conference may view them lightly. Well. to the other teams in the NCAA Tournamanet , beware of the Bears. They have come to play and I hope you bring your "A" game because the Ursinus Bears are playing out the role of "Hoosiers II."