MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren Thompson

chotch:

Just for the record -- and out of curiosity -- are you claiming that there's more player animosity toward GRob than in previous seasons? If so, why?

chotch

I am not making a judgement as to any but the most recent seasons- Diplomaniac claimed that players were able to put aside their personal differences and play well for G-Rob in the past. I am taking his word for it since I have not seen the Dips for 2 decades.

However, I feel that after watching some games this year it is relatively easy to tell that the players are affected by G-Rob's personality/coaching style. Look at them after they make a mistake, they will often look to the bench to see if they are going to be pulled. Hesitation on open jumpers. Talking back at the coach during games (happened in Western Conn game after a turnover, and it happened during halftime of the Lincoln game seeing as how Leonard did not play the 2nd half against Lincoln after playing well for about 8-10 minutes in the first half). The players are obviously not comfortable playing, and it is greatly affecting their game play.

Leo

What happened to Hopkins last night ?

No disrespect to Haverford, but the loss does not bode well for CC teams in receiving national recognition.

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: chotch on January 07, 2007, 08:00:54 PM
I can think of multiple players on the team who are no better now (or are playing even worse) than when they arrived at F&M.

Well said, chotch.  I can't remember a class at F&M that showed promise as freshmen (Teschke and Outerbridge being key reserves on an Elite Eight team) but never developed much in the following three years.  It's been shocking to see the lack of toughness in this team, especially with the upperclassmen.  I saw one player take a few extra seconds to get up off the floor—after little or no contact—following a scramble for a loose ball vs. Western Connecticut.  You'd never have seen that in the past.

I think Robinson's recruiting is the issue; this roster lacks talent and tenacity, a bad combination.  Not every player can play for Robinson, so he should recruit players who can.  Robinson is hard on players when they're winning, so I can't imagine how difficult it is when they're losing.  But his style probably isn't going to change because it's been successful for him for decades.  The question for me is whether Robinson can get top high school players to go to F&M again, and whether he can get the most out of them without popping a major artery.

Quote from: Leo on January 10, 2007, 12:46:47 PM
What happened to Hopkins last night ?

No disrespect to Haverford, but the loss does not bode well for CC teams in receiving national recognition.

I was wondering the same thing.  The loss to Mississippi didn't help matters, but a loss to Haverford shouldn't happen to a Top 25 team.

commish

All of us associated with the Centennial Conference offer our deepest condolences to the family and the McDaniel College community on the passing of head men's basketball Bob Flynn.  The following comes from the College Communications office.
     - Steve Ulrich, Executive Director

In Memoriam: Bob Flynn 1957-2007

WESTMINSTER, Md. – McDaniel College men's basketball coach Bob Flynn, 49, died Friday, Jan. 12 at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore. Flynn suffered a massive heart attack Friday night at his Catonsville home.

College President Joan Develin Coley expressed the sympathy of the campus community, "Our campus community is shocked by the news of Bob's death. Since joining the McDaniel family, Bob has excelled as a coach, as a mentor to students and as a colleague. We will do all we can to care for his team, his wife, and his family to honor all that Coach Flynn gave us here at the College."

Athletics Directors Jamie Smith and Dr. Carol Fritz echoed Coley's sentiments.

"The entire athletics department is deeply saddened by the loss of Coach Flynn," Smith said. "His dedication and love for the game were contagious, yet he always remembered that these young men were students first. The lessons they learned from their coach will help them through this difficult time."

"If there was one word that defined Coach Flynn, it was respect," Fritz added. "He respected his players and all of the members of the athletics staff. He was a great person to be around. With that respect, he gained the respect of his fellow coaches and administration."

Flynn had guided the Green Terror to a 7-6 start in 2006-07, including a 4-3 mark in Centennial Conference play, after taking over the program last season. The start was the best in the team's history since 1986-87.

Saturday's men's basketball game, scheduled at home against Ursinus, has been postponed. A re-scheduled date and time has yet to be announced. The squad is next slated to be in action on Wednesday at home against Washington (Md.). A decision on that game will be made early next week.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Flynn is survived by his wife, Tina, his daughter, Caitlin, and twin sons, Michael and Ryan.

Longtime assistant coach Kevin Selby will serve as interim head coach for the remainder of the season.

Pat Coleman

Bob Flynn was a friend of the site going way back and was at St. Mary's when I was sports information director for the CAC. He will be missed.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

David Collinge

Let me offer my condolences to the friends and family of Coach Flynn and McDaniel College on the passing of Coach Bob Flynn.   His contributions in life were great, and he will be sorely missed.  :-\ :'(

Warren Thompson

My sympathies to the family and the team.

Leo

Condolences to the friends and family of Coach Flynn and McDaniel College on the passing of Coach Bob Flynn.

Leo

Coach C

I first met Coach Flynn some years back when he was at Cardinal Gibbons in Baltimore.  He was a super person, a man of great character and a very good basketball coach.

I cannot fathom the feeling of loss that his wife, daughter and boys must be feeling.  My thoughts go out to everyone who knew him as a father, coach and man.

In addition, I hope that Coach Selby and The Green Terror deidcate their efforts for the remaining season to their coach.

Best,

C

sjmb9

Coach Flynn-  you were the greatest thing that ever happened to Green Terror Men's Basketball in a long time.  My thoughts and prayers are with your wife, daughter and twin sons.  Words cannot describe how much you will be missed not only at McDaniel but in and around the Centennial Conference.  I was very honored to have worked at your baskeball camp last summer.

Sam Boardman
McDaniel College '04  MS '08

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I knew Coach Flynn when he was at St. Mary's... followed him at Cardinal Gibbons... and was pleased to see what he had done in such a short time at McDaniel. I even got a chance to chat with him at the Provident Pride tourney at Goucher. He was a well respected man who was also a very good basketball coach. We will all miss him and his towel on the sideline. My sympathies and condolences go out to his family, the McDaniel basketball team, and the entire McDaniel athletic department and family.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

My sincerest condolences to the family of Coach Flynn as well as his players & staff.

bearsfan1

Seems like the Bears got back on track against a fading Muhlenberg team by beating them by 40.  Speaking of the Mules, what happened to Jeff Stewart?

commish

Nice article in Tuesday's Baltimore Sun about Johns Hopkins' dynamic inside duo of Matt Griffin and Danny Nawrocki.  A couple of highlights ... "See this? This is from Matt," said the 6-foot-6 Nawrocki, pointing to a recent cut under his right eye. "We haven't been allowed to guard each other [in practice] since our freshman year."  "It's less physical now," added Griffin, 6-7. "Our jerseys were ripped by the end of that [freshman] year. I know I got a lot better that year."
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/basketball/bal-sp.hopkins30jan30,0,1044328.story?coll=bal-college-mbasketball