MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crambam

Gelling at the right time is probably the most important thing.  From what I remember of the Jannetta era, they only gelled at the right time once.  They were always a strong team and always tournament worthy, and always capable of taking the title.  But they seemed to play their best basketball a little bit earlier in the year.  So they would end up getting upset in the tournament because to win that, you need to be at your absolute best. 

The one point loss to Rowan still bugs me because that was the year they were gelling in March.  I think a few bad calls killed them and that had they won that game, they might have taken the whole thing.

Oh well. 

r.w. mcnickels

Here's the 2008 CC media guide.  Lots of good info here:
http://www.centennial.org/basketball/mediaguide08/men/index.html

Best of luck to everyone this weekend.  That cold wind outside means it's time for some hoops!

heartofachampion

Anyone see the F&M game last night?  According to the paper they looked impressive, but I never trust the Lancaster papers...they tend to sugar coat things!

Thanks!

Reserved Seat

F&M had a good start.  The opponent makes the score deceptive.  Scovill and Hines, teammatess in high school, played solid games.  Selig looked a lot stronger than last year.  Everyone on the bench got to play.  I liked the play of Brooks and Tolliver.  The freshman point guard, Sullivan, had his moments, good and bad, but looks like he has a lot of potential.  The team played with a lot more enthusiasm than last year.  The team was aggressive on the boards.  F&M will be much better than last year especially once they get some experience--a lot of new faces.

heartofachampion

Anyone go tot he F&M game last night?  What happened?  Did we see the good and the bad parts of being a young team this weekend?  Good talent, youth make mistakes, etc.

Thanks

Reserved Seat

heartofachampion, your answer is yes.
Sullivan played a decent game, but his inexperience came into play.
Also, a lot of key extra points were missed.
Hines struggled with his shot the second half.  Most of his shots just rimmed out.  If a few of his shots had dropped, he would have had a great game.
F&M had a chance to win with the last shot, but rushed the shot.
I thought they would go for a three, but instead they drove for a two to tie.  The shot was missed, but F&M came up with the rebound for a second chance.  Unfortunately, the shooter wasn't aware that he had time to set up a shot and fired it while coming down with the rebound.
There were still a lot of positives in the game, and, hopefully, experience will help the team to have a successful season.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hey... busy weekend of basketball and I am at the Provident Pride of Maryland Tournament where McDaniel, Johns Hopkins, and Washington are playing.

If anyone is curious about what is happening and can't make the game, I am blogging court-side on the Daily Dose.
http://www.d3hoops.com/dailydose/2007/11/24/court-side-at-the-provident-pride-tournament/

Enjoy!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Not many people chatting about the Centennial Conference... that's too bad this year... because this could be an exciting year in the CC.

And the first "surprise" out of the blocks... McDaniel.

The Green Terror was picked to finish 8th in the CC this year... but are off to a 3-0 start after winning the Provident Pride of Maryland Tournament with a thrilling, 3OT win over Hood in the championship game.

McDaniel beat Villa Julie and Salisbury on the way and fought with a very good Hood team to win it.

Gettysburg is obviously out to a good start and other schools will be tough, but I think some people underestimated exactly what McDaniel has for talent and chemistry... and first year Head Coach Kevin Curley has already made an impression with the team and this region.

McDaniel gets Swarthmore on Wednesday at home.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

r.w. mcnickels

d-mac -

Thanks for the blog from Hopkins.  Sounds like McDaniel could be a legit contender this year.  The CC has gotten off to a relatively good start in non-conference play, which is good to see.  Conference play begins Wednesday night.

F&M looked up and down against Juniata.  The Dips' huge lead nearly evaporated due to a stagnant offense—the same thing that apparently plagued them at Lebanon Valley.  But it does look like the players want to be there this year, unlike last year.

crambam

Interesting win last night for the Dips.  At first I was happy to see them beat a team like Hopkins, but then I saw that JHU isn't exactly starting on fire themselves.  I saw the F&M defense was outstanding in the first half, but awful in the second.

Consistent offense. 

Is this team just streaky?  Obviously, I wouldn't expect any team to hold any other team to 12 points per half, but to give up 49 in the second half was awful. 

Still while a 3-2 start isn't great, it's better than last year, and it's a start. 

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: crambam on November 29, 2007, 08:24:52 AM
Interesting win last night for the Dips. 

crambam,

Interesting is a good word.  The Dips were nearly flawless in the first half, then displayed a lack of killer instinct late in the game.  The Hopkins press created turnovers and allowed the Blue Jays to chip away late.  It might be natural to get comfortable with a 30-point lead, but the Dips have allowed each of their last four opponents to come back in games they controlled. 

It could be the result of five freshmen in the rotation, or it could be that this team just won't be able to finish.  Time will tell.  However, Sullivan looks like he could develop into a really good point guard.

bearsfan1

Huge win for Ursinus today. I wasn't at the game but it seems like this game was a statement on the road at G'Burg

old ends

Sometimes, it seems to me, that the true statement a team can make comes after the holiday games are out of the way and they bear down on conference play.

bearsfan1

Few observations from the UC-F&M game last night

UC
Very good guard play - Most times it seems like they are running a 4 guard set, with Shattuck and Noonan playing a guard/forward position

Lacking upfront presence - No go to person in the post, limited production coming from true big men on the team. This team could struggle when matched against an experienced and talented post player as the season moves on

As with most UC teams of the past, they try to get out and run whenever possible. It is a testament to Coach Small and his rotation of players that his team rarely seems tired and generally outhustles the opposition down the floor.

F&M
Seems like they have a very talented freshman in number 10. he has a very nice jump shot and could develop into a very legit scoring threat as the season goes on

The team seems a little bit slow and unathletic in transition. They generate very few fast break opportunities (at least compared to UC). Their rebounding advantage seemed only due to slight size advantage. I don't know if this is the norm in Coach Robinson's system but the it seemed like they run the shot clock down on most possessions (basically it takes them a long time to get the play developed). This might have been part of the gameplan however

heartofachampion

Running the clock is Grob's way...Even when we had guys like Duran Searles the shot clock would drop to under 10 almost every time.