MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Verdad

Quote from: fpc85 on March 18, 2008, 10:39:23 AM
Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 09:32:35 AM

In my opinion, the game against Amherst will be a classic duel between Amherst's front court players (in the paint style) versus Ursinus's back court players (shooting and driving style). I look forward to the game and see who imposes their style of game on the other. Obviously, Shema will be the key. The game against Coast Guard was a godsend to the team because Coast Guard played so physical. It showed that Ursinus can play against a physical team, and Shema did well. Amherst's basketball website has some good stats in its release about both teams  (https://cms.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/winter/basketball-m/articles/2007_08/0317_final_four)

Go Ursinus Go.

the jeff bigs are pretty versatile...post or perimeter play the do both well.

FPC is right, with the exception of Hopkins and Holsey, all the Amherst bigs have game that extends out to and beyond the perimeter. 

Anyone want to fill me in on Ursinus?  It would be greatly appreciated.

fpc85

Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 11:36:08 AM

For another perspective about Amherst, go to the Northeast Region and select NESCAC MBB. The postings about the upcoming game with Ursinus (from Amherst fans and non-fans) is interesting reading. I appreciate fpc85's posting here to dispel any notion that Amherst's front court are only big men with no perimeter game. However, if one looks at Amherst's loss to Bowdoin College in their tournament and Bowdoin's roster of "small" players, one has to wonder how Amherst lost such a game. Granted, shooting only 45% to 57% for Bowdoin is the factor, but one would think why Amherst didn't kill Bowdoin with an inside game. Any perspective from the Jeff fans ?

the bowdoin game is a classic upset...one team playing very well and the other playing below average...it happens and it may have been the best thing for the jeffs.

the question i have is how ursinus lost to williams?

fpc85

Quote from: r.w. mcnickels on March 18, 2008, 12:14:55 PM
Amherst seems to have at least five perimeter scoring threats.  I remember when the Jeffs beat F&M in the 2004 Elite Eight, it seemed like most players in Hixon's lineup were capable of the deep shot. 

That said I think it's dangerous to underestimate Ursinus -- one poster on the NESCAC board says Amherst should win "with ease."  The Bears have proven they can beat NESCAC teams this year, and although Amherst is a step above Middlebury and Trinity, I think Small will have his team ready on Friday night.

i don't think the jeffs will underestimate a final four team...this is where they have played for all year. if they lose it won't be because they looked past ursinus but b/c ursinus was better that day.

ursinus has a special place in my heart b/c one of my former players played there a few years ago (naquan williams).

Leo

Quote from: fpc85 on March 18, 2008, 05:27:41 PM

Well fpc85, the game against Williams was so early in the schedule and Coach Small's team tend to play early games as if they are exhibition games. Unlike Amherst losing in the tournament at the end of the season where one should be peaking, I would be more concerned about an end of season loss to an inferior team than an early season contest.

old ends

Picks for the Final four Semi

Washington U
Ursinus

Just a Centennial boy (69yrs old) cheering for the home conference team. All of the teams that have gotten to this point deserve a ton of credit to the coaches and players and fans. Mostly to the parents who have given more than some fans know. Coaches for inspiring and giving the knowledge of the game. Players who practiced who played and did it some more to get to this point. To the fans who cheer for the team, who show up for the bad and good years, and kept their college at heart even after becoming Alumni..

TO the D3 posters who keep the good banter going. Even asking questions, because( speaking personally) we are not all experts.

Good luck to all teams who made it to  Salem.

Reserved Seat

Leo, if you're an Ursinus fan or have never been to the D3 finals, you should attend.  I've attended all 4 of F&M's Final Four adventures.  My wife was very understanding for the last three.  I wasn't married for the first one, but I was dating my future wife.  She knew what she was getting into.  F&M's best chance to win was in '79, but they got overwhelmed in the first half of the first game.  However,  from then on in that game and the consolation game they played excellent ball.
PICKS
Amherst-they were there last year and use to the atmosphere(but it would be great of Ursinus would
                         win--it would earn some respect for Centennial--even though the play of Ursinus and 
                         Gettysburg this year has already helped}
Hope-always has a solid team

fpc85

Quote from: Leo on March 18, 2008, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: fpc85 on March 18, 2008, 05:27:41 PM

Well fpc85, the game against Williams was so early in the schedule and Coach Small's team tend to play early games as if they are exhibition games. Unlike Amherst losing in the tournament at the end of the season where one should be peaking, I would be more concerned about an end of season loss to an inferior team than an early season contest.
lol...no concerns on my part...sometimes a loss like that will wake up a team...just as talk from an upcoming opponent may provide more motivation to play well.  ;D

D.B. Cooper

Reserved Seat. Although I couldn't go to Rock Island in '79 I did listen to the game on the radio. I recall the Dips having a modest lead on the legendary North Park squad but blew all or most of it in the last 2-3 minutes of the 1st half, including some unusual lapses by the great Donny Marsh. The Dips held there own against All-Americans Modzel Greer (was in NBA) & 7 footer Harper (also played in NBA) but got killed by a 6'8" reserve named French & Vikes steadily pulled out to a 9-10 point win. I hope my memory is fairly accurate, it made quite an impression.
Perhaps the Dips best chance came in '91 in Springfield, OH when I made my only FF trip thus far. After upsetting a favored NJAC team by 50+ in the Semis they Dip starters battled Bo Ryan's UWP team to a near standstill (?tied at the half), but their second team was as good as their 1st unit & the Dips rarely went to more than 7 players. F&M kept fighting back to stay in game in the second half & lost by 7.
Although I didn't see it in person the Dips lost 2 last second heartbreakers in '00 in Salem.

Leo

Reserved Seat, I appreciate your words of support. I am a Ursinus fan, not because of graduation, but because a family member attended the school and was recognized as a 1st team all Centennial player. At the age of 54, I deeply enjoy watching the "kids" learn and grow, and see them experience "the good and the bad times" that will become lasting memories for life after basketball. Coach Small is a phenominal person who relates so well with these kids and transcends his knowledge of the game to the kids. 

This year's team is really something special and I am sure you can say the same about the great F&M teams. Getting to the final four is something special.

My plan for Friday is to rent the movie "Hoosiers", watch it around noontime ... have my pregame meal afterwards  ;D  ... and then watch the videostream at 5:00 pm.  As for now, I am practicing my impersonation of Dennis Hooper (from Hoosiers) jumping on the bed yelling "we won, we won, we won"  :D

Pat Coleman

Don't forget to listen to the pregame show starting at 3.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Leo

Pick'ems:

Ursinus
Hope

Ursinus and Amherst played 3 common opponents - Williams, Middlebury and Trinity (Ct.). I am discounting Ursinus's game against Williams because it was their 1st game of the season, and frankly, not a good indicator of where they stand.

However, Amherst and Ursinus beat both Middlebury and Trinity. Looking at the stats (fg%, opp. fg%, 3 pointers, rebounds, and TO), no significant differences were noted. I predict that Friday's game will be a barn burner, maybe even overtime.

r.w. mcnickels

Four Centennial players named to the D3hoops.com all-region team:

http://www.d3hoops.com/all-region/08/matlmen.htm

The CC also swept the individual awards:

Player of the Year:  Nick Shattuck, Ursinus
Rookie of the Year:  Andrew Powers, Gettysburg
Coach of the Year:  Kevin Small, Ursinus

Congrats to all.

old ends

I know it is a little after the fact, but NCAA wrote a better article on Ursinus's game against Coast Guard then the local Philadelphia paper.

Click here; http://www.ncaa.com/basketball-mens/article.aspx?id=140804

enjoy

Pat Coleman

That's Ursinus' press release, also found here:

D3hoops.com Scoreboard

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

old ends

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 19, 2008, 05:17:47 PM
That's Ursinus' press release, also found here:

D3hoops.com Scoreboard

thanks, I must learn to look there first... It is the local press that really dropped the ball for a home town team.