MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diplomaniac1

Old Ends -

Re: your 3/18 post. Excellent well said thoughts! Amen!

Over the years, I have seen many F&M players' parents travel 3 or 4 hours each way to attend games on a weeknight.

Eric

diplomaniac1

Reserved Seat -

Re: your 3/18 post. You are absolutely correct there is nothing quite like seeing a final four in person. There is no other atmosphere like it! It is also a really neat opportunity to interact with the families, firneds, and fans of the other teams. Outstanding sportmanship abounds throughout the area's arena, restaurants, and hotels.

I also attended 3 of the 4 Final Fours that the Diplomats played in. I missed Rock Island in '79 as I was a poor student. I made trips to Springfield and twice to Salem. The Dips were clearly the underestimated underdogs in Springfield and won over the fans from Wittenberg, whose pep band played for F&M in both games. F&M did have some real chances to win that game. But, they probably weren't deep enough.

With Jeremiah Henry sick during their first trip to Salem, my feeling was that they were never really in the games against Hope and Illinois Wesleyan. The Championship game between Hope and Rowan featured on of the best individual performances I ever saw. One of Hope's guards, Joel Holstege, shot the lights out and finished with 47 points. He put his team on his back almost single-handedly carried his team to a win over Rowan! A side note, Illinois Wesleyan won the Championship the following year. I think they beat Alvernia in the final game.

For my money, the F&M vs. Calvin semifinal game was once of the best games I ever saw. Nip and tuck and back and forth throughout. A close game that either team could have won on the final shot! Just an amazing tense atmosphere.

As a Centennial Conference fan, I hope Ursinus shows well. I wish the bears good luck.

Leo

Quote from: diplomaniac1 on March 20, 2008, 11:40:31 AM

As a Centennial Conference fan, I hope Ursinus shows well. I wish the bears good luck.

Trust me Diplomaniac1, the Bears will represent us very well. Their game against Coast Guard was very physical, and that experience will go a long way. I am sure Amherst's loss to Bowdoin left a sour taste in their mouth, so they too will be focused. Which means, it will be a hell of a game  :)

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: old ends on March 20, 2008, 10:20:50 AM
here are some more nice articles about Ursinus

click here: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20080320_Ursinus_Shema_tells_tale_of_basketball_perseverance_as_team_heads_to_Division_III_Final_Four.html

It's good to see coverage of Shema -- what a great story.  I didn't know his parents were from Rwanda.  It seems like his career is peaking at the perfect time.

Quote from: diplomaniac1 on March 20, 2008, 11:40:31 AM
For my money, the F&M vs. Calvin semifinal game was once of the best games I ever saw. Nip and tuck and back and forth throughout. A close game that either team could have won on the final shot! Just an amazing tense atmosphere.

Eric-

I agree, it was one of the best I've ever seen.  Cinderella vs. goliath, with goliath winning at the buzzer.  I have permanent scar tissue from that game.  Wish I could have attended the '79 and '91 Final Fours that you guys have been talking about, but I enjoyed reading your stories.

Whatever happens this weekend, I know the Bears will represent the conference well.

r.w. mcnickels

NCAA Semifinal picks:

Amherst
Washington

I hope I'm wrong on the first one.  Ursinus has the weapons to win, but Amherst has Olson and Final Four experience.  If Hilton and Noonan shoot the lights out, and Shema plays the game of his career, Ursinus can win -- I just think that's asking too much against Amherst's experience and talent, especially with Shattuck limping around.

Wash U. wins the second game and sends the Dew Crew back to Michigan disappointed.

Enjoyed reading the front page article on Ursinus and Shema today.  Good luck to the Bears.

bearsfan1

Crossing all my fingers

GO BEARS!

diplomaniac1

NCAA Semi-Final Picks:

Ursinus vs. Amherst:   Amherst.

Hope vs. Washington:  Hope.

Good luck to Ursinus. Regards to all.

Eric

old ends

All hooked up and ready to hopefully watch and listen to the game.

3 of us have picked The Centennial champ Ursinus and 4 have not.
3 of us picked the Washington  Bears and 4 have not.

Good luck to all

old ends

Was hoping for a closer score at the half.

old ends

What a great run for Ursinus. Amherst was the better team today.

Amherst 84 Ursinus 58

old ends

Final Finals Pick-em

Ursinus vs Hope
Amherst vs Washington

You have till tip off to get you final picks in..

Enjoy.. I Have..

old ends

It looks like it is coming down to the final final.

Suetonius             2  -  0
r.w.mcnickels        2  -  0
Reserved Seat      1  -  1
Diplomanic1          1  -  1
Old Ends             1  -  1
Leo                     0  -  2
Bears Fan1           0  -  2

Overall

r.w.mcnickels         9  -  2
old ends                9  -  2
Leo                       8  -  3
Suetonius              7  -  4
Bearsfan1              7  -  4
Reserved Seat       6  -  5
Diplomanic1           6  -  5

r.w. mcnickels

Congrats to Ursinus on a memorable season, and for bringing another Final Four banner to the Centennial.

It's hard to regroup for a consolation game after getting knocked out.  Sort of like playing a spring training game a few hours after losing the World Series.  

Good luck vs. Hope.